Welcome to Gaia! ::

Athebyne's Partner

Big Member

So, an old friend of mine wants to pick up the electric guitar. He's not half bad at the acoustic, being able to play quite a few songs, but as an electric guitarist myself I know electric is a different ballgame. Anyway, he's asking for recommendations for a good beginner guitar. One that doesn't cost too much, but is easy to play and sounds decent. He seems to be leaning towards classic rock, if it helps, so maybe stuff like Les Pauls? I don't really know.

(Btw, it'd be nice to get input from people who live in Australia, as my friend has moved there.)
Depends on style, etc. But i'd suggest a starter pack since you can get a small amp, bag and stuff with it. I got the Silvertone starter back and I loved the guitar. Ibanez and Epiphone have some as well.
Anything London City, if you can get a mk 1 or 2 comet (the telecaster model), perfect. Friend of mine picked up one of these for dirt cheap and it is one sweet axe.
They have dual-humbucker and stratmodels too, just look for london city.

For amp a blackstar fly or ht1 (or ht5) , line 6 spider or roland cube.

The thing with starterpack amps is that they sound okay-ish clean, but once you kick in the gain it just becomes flat and dead is my experience, and all of the above amps are readily available secondhand (half the world plays a line 6 spider is my experience) so you start off with a much better tone than you'd get for your 250 bucks starter pack deal.

Okay, so you might have to spend 300-400 bucks, but for the money, definitely worth it. Especially since he's already a player, so he already knows he'll keep on playing.

I know, I only suggested secondhand, but on a budget, it's definitely the way to fly.

Genius

I'm going to need to know an actual budget price to be specific. People have different opinions on what "one that doesn't cost too much" means.

I actually do think a Les Paul is a good choice. Good for rock yes, but also because of the scale length. It's a little bit shorter than a Fender, which is more comfortable in my opinion (my main guitar is a PRS, also shorter scale length). Though, I love Fender guitars as well. I'm actually in the market for a Tele right now. But if I'm speaking purely about feel, I prefer shorter necks.

You could get a pretty inexpensive Epiphone Les Paul. Maybe like $200? I'd suggest shopping used for the best value.

And I agree with the poster above me. All of his suggestions were good, but I'd like to add to that. Vox's AC4's are worth checking out. Similar price range.
I would suggest him to wait until he can afford a good guitar with a good quality that will remain to him for life, instead of picking up "just a decent guitar/starter guitar" that could have all those disturbing electronic problems and stuff ike this. eek

Arashisora's Significant Otter

Demonic Hero

For a starting guitar, I would suggest an electric guitar that isn't too expensive.
I own a Fender Squire and an Ibanez electric guitar.
Both are pretty well for me since I know that I'm never going to be a professional guitarist.

If you're a person who doesn't have very long fingers and have trouble reaching for chords, you could try out a First Act guitar.
One of my guitar friends owns one of these. He's a pretty small dude but boy he could shred on it.
He even customized it and everything. You wouldn't even recognize that it's a First Act guitar.
Any guitar with a small neck would probably be just fine.

My suggestion would be to pop into your local guitar/music shop and try on the guitars there.
Get a feel for the guitar and see if it is right for you.
You're best off getting a kit, if that hasn't been said
With kit guitars you shouldn't expect anything glorious but for guitars that cost the same as a kit you should expect the same quality. If you get a kit then you'll have literally everything you need to get started and sometimes they give you a DVD to learn from.

Edit: Get a kid? That sounds a bit crazy to me!

Gracious Destruction

13,490 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bitter Sandstorm 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Do not get a kit. DO NOT ******** GET A KIT.

Kits are only good for absolute beginners.
I recommend ya an Ibanez entry guitar and an Ibanez 10 kw amp for metal. Stagg or Squier strat and a Stagg 10 kw amp for more bluesy or jazzy sound. Stay away from Cort and absolute shitty guitar brands like Ashton.

If you are willing to pay more, get a Jackson straight. And a Line6 amp.

Dapper Zapper

19,875 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Waffles! 25
Fender Strat or Tele is a good beginner instrument in my opinion. Fender also sells some cheap amps. Orange amps are also cheaper
I'm going to suggest the cheap $120 Squier Bullet Stratocaster. It's not amazing, but it is absolutely playable. And personally I think it's better to start on something just okay to learn what it is you truly want in an instrument as you get better, then you can look into better ones. Also an option is Epiphones' $180 Les Paul style, or a Squier Affinity Telecaster in the $170 range. You can get much better guitars than these, but they're all playable.

Heart Explorer

Well, the OP was quite a bit ago but, if he's still looking, and for anyone else with this question;
Anything from the Squier Classic Vibe series and some sort of low watt (10-30) practice amp is what I would suggest. Something like a Roland Cube, Pignose, or Line 6 Spider. The Vintage Modified line of Squiers is also really good and features more of a range of options as far as pickups and such go.

That will get him one of the better setups for the money but, does come in at around 500-600 but, they'll last. Buying a starter pack (despite the better price) is not something I can really say I recommend. He'll need to upgrade from it pretty quickly if he really sticks with electric guitar. A CV or VM Squier and any of those amps will still be good even when he moves into the intermediate stages, and possibly even beyond that. There is a large subjective element so, I can't say entirely but, yeah.

If money is really tight though, (which is understandable) the packs do give you it all. Just know you get what you pay for most of the time.

Feral Hunter

Jordamn
I'm going to need to know an actual budget price to be specific. People have different opinions on what "one that doesn't cost too much" means.

I actually do think a Les Paul is a good choice. Good for rock yes, but also because of the scale length. It's a little bit shorter than a Fender, which is more comfortable in my opinion (my main guitar is a PRS, also shorter scale length). Though, I love Fender guitars as well. I'm actually in the market for a Tele right now. But if I'm speaking purely about feel, I prefer shorter necks.

You could get a pretty inexpensive Epiphone Les Paul. Maybe like $200? I'd suggest shopping used for the best value.

And I agree with the poster above me. All of his suggestions were good, but I'd like to add to that. Vox's AC4's are worth checking out. Similar price range.

Hey; just a suggestion on the Fender side of things (I love 'em; not all too fond of Gibson nowadays) try looking into a Jaguar, Mustang, Music Master, or Duosonic. They're all 24" scale length, which is shorter even than Gibson. Very good for smaller hands, and if you put one-two string gauges higher on them than you normally play, then the tension issue will be resolved.

Genius

TheQuantumHelix
Jordamn

Hey; just a suggestion on the Fender side of things (I love 'em; not all too fond of Gibson nowadays) try looking into a Jaguar, Mustang, Music Master, or Duosonic. They're all 24" scale length, which is shorter even than Gibson. Very good for smaller hands, and if you put one-two string gauges higher on them than you normally play, then the tension issue will be resolved.
Haha, that post was a pretty long time ago! I actually finally bought a G&L ASAT Classic S just recently. It's gorgeous (and a close up). The middle strat-ish pick up adds a lot of versatility and the wood binding just makes it. That fat G&L neck felt way weird at first but it grew on me quickly.

Thanks, though! Good suggestions. I actually have been wanting a Mustang too, regardless. The phase switch is really cool. Never thought about upping the string gauge. That's a good idea. Does it still keep the short scale tone?

Feral Hunter

Jordamn
TheQuantumHelix
Jordamn

Haha, that post was a pretty long time ago! I actually finally bought a G&L ASAT Classic S just recently. It's gorgeous (and a close up). The middle strat-ish pick up adds a lot of versatility and the wood binding just makes it. That fat G&L neck felt way weird at first but it grew on me quickly.

Thanks, though! Good suggestions. I actually have been wanting a Mustang too, regardless. The phase switch is really cool. Never thought about upping the string gauge. That's a good idea. Does it still keep the short scale tone?

Looks good though, man! And yeah, it'll keep a bit of its "hoopiness". If you want to have that full on though, just keep it at the same string gauge; you'll be able to bend for days and it'll feel really loose. Not a bad thing, but I've always liked tighter feeling strings. Also, however, if you're still wanting another T-style guitar, but short scale, Fender released this little gem recently.

And yeah, the mustang phasing is pretty cool. I always wanted to put it on a Jaguar, replacing the rhythm circuit. Maybe that'll be a project if I ever get one x3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff