Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ice-Cold Wolf

Quote:
A long-haired tabby cat has been hailed a hero after finding an abandoned baby on the street and climbing into the box he had been dumped in to keep him warm.

The compassionate cat then raised the alarm by mewing to draw attention to the baby in the city of Obninsk, western Russia.

Local resident Irina Lavrova, 68, had gone to throw out some garbage when she heard Masha the cat calling loudly near the apartment block.

The stunned pensioner could not believe her eyes when she saw the baby boy lying amongst the trash in a box with Masha next to him.

She said: "Masha is a communal cat who everyone takes turns in looking after.

"She is very placid and friendly so when I heard her mewing I thought that perhaps she had injured herself because normally she would have come and said hello to me.

"You can imagine my shock when I saw her lying in a box next to a baby. Clearly her mothering instincts had taken over and she wanted to protect the child.

"He was well-dressed with a little hat and whoever left him here had even left a few nappies and some baby food."

After calling an ambulance the three-month-old toddler was taken to hospital where he was given a check up and declared fit and healthy.

A hospital spokesman said: 'The baby had only been outside for a few hours and thanks to Masha and the child’s clothing he was not damaged by the experience.'

Now local residents have hailed Masha as a hero.

OAP Irina said: "Everyone in the block is very proud of her and we have all spoilt her rotten by giving her her favourite food."

A police spokesman said they were looking into the case and would try and find the baby’s mother.

https://news.yahoo.com/heroic-cat-finds-baby-abandoned-in-a-box--crawls-in-to-keep-him-warm-153347500.html

Wintry Dragon

I'll just leave this here.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Thank goodness for that cat and its mothering instincts, Masha truly is a hero to that little baby. Hopefully they find the mom and arrest her for abandonment as its obviously what she intended since she left a nappy and food with the baby.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Finally a nice news story. Been nothing but death and maiming and idiocy lately. She's a big kitty. Kid was lucky to have Masha McFluffbutt in the area. Kudos to the kitty, and kudos to the community that helps take care of her.

Kawaii Shoujo

Tsuki_Kirkland
Thank goodness for that cat and its mothering instincts, Masha truly is a hero to that little baby. Hopefully they find the mom and arrest her for abandonment as its obviously what she intended since she left a nappy and food with the baby.
How do we know if it was actually the mom who abandoned her three month old son? Couldn't the father or another relative be the one who ditched the infant?

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Well, the "hero" aspect makes for good news copy but this sounds like nothing more than a cat being a cat. Cats are heat seekers. It's no big surprise that a cat outdoors in the cold would get into a box with a warm baby. Or that it would mew for food in a neighborhood where it is used to being fed. My own cat is a mostly indoor cat but she will often come sit in my lap or on my chest to warm up for a while.

Also, while it is crap to ditch your baby it sounds like they placed it where they wanted someone to find it rather than just trying to ditch it some place to die. Perhaps they didn't live close to one of these Russian baby drop boxes

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
fairy-phoenix
Tsuki_Kirkland
How do we know if it was actually the mom who abandoned her three month old son? Couldn't the father or another relative be the one who ditched the infant?

Unfortunately, cases like that have happened so many times that it's now common to assume such a thing, but yeah you are right. It depends on the circumstances though, such as the baby's father not being present or the mother "not knowing what to do", etc. Just factors. But you make a point. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff