Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
A Brazilian man accused of stabbing a woman to death in a Rio suburb has confessed to have murdered 41 people, almost all of them women, "for the fun of it," police said Thursday.

"He wanted to kill women -- white women, not black ones. He followed the victims, studying them closely before committing the crimes," said police commissioner Pedro Henrique Medina from the northern suburb of Nova Iguacu.

The man was identified as Sailson Jose das Gracas, a 26-year-old whom police describe as a psychopath.

They said they were checking his statements against past investigations, and so far they tally with the evidence.

Gracas says he murdered 37 women, three men and a two-year-old child over a nine-year killing spree, explaining he killed the child because he feared it would cry and attract neighbors' attention.

"I observed them, I studied them. I waited for a month, sometimes a week, depending on the place. I tried to ascertain where they lived, what their families were like. I kept watch on their houses and then after a while went there at dawn, waited for my chance and entered," broadcaster Globo's G1 news portal quoted Gracas as saying.

He explained he started out as a petty thief.

"At 17, I killed the first woman and that gave me a buzz. I kept on doing it and I enjoyed it," he said, adding on one occasion a couple, Cleusa Balbina and her former husband Jose Messias, contracted him to kill someone for money. The pair are now under arrest.

Gracas said he used a gun in contract killings but strangled his other victims.

He planned his crimes meticulously, wearing a rain jacket in order to conceal his identity and gloves in order not to leave fingerprints, adding he became addicted to murder.

"When I wasn't killing someone I got uptight. I would pace up and down at home. Killing calmed me down.

"I'd kill someone and then would think about the victim for two or three months. After that, I'd go off hunting" for another victim, Gracas revealed.

"I don't feel remorse -- if I go to jail for 10, 15, 20 years, then as soon as I get out I'll do the same thing all over again," he insisted.

Under Brazilian law, the maximum prison term is 30 years.

The country has never had capital punishment.

murder

Lavish Romantic

Well I think that's as good a reason as any to establish capital punishment in Brazil.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300

But they can't add them up for multiple crimes?
Murder one person you could get up to 30 years - but murder 41 people you could get up to 30 years?

I wonder what their laws are about institutionalizing the criminally insane.
Surely this guy qualifies as being dangerous to others if anyone did.
David2074

Murder one person you could get up to 30 years - but murder 41 people you could get up to 30 years?

This is if the police and courts bother with the guy. Brazil has a large crime rate, including murder. It's made far worse and the reported crimes are less than the crimes that weren't reported because the police don't want to bother.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Moral Gutpunch
David2074

This is if the police and courts bother with the guy. Brazil has a large crime rate, including murder. It's made far worse and the reported crimes are less than the crimes that weren't reported because the police don't want to bother.

I'd say if the police don't want to bother with a guy who admits to killing 41 people then they should throw in the towel and just build a Max Max style thunderdome over the entire place and let people have at it.

Many years ago I visited Rio. It seemed pretty nice.
Now I read about high crime rates and general nastiness that makes me think I would not want to go there now.

Capcha -
LOL! Everytime I see the lotto ad with the slogan "Give the gift that keeps on giving" I gigglesnort. Did the marketers think through the fact that phrase is often used as a joke about STDs?
And the phrase I am supposed to type in is "Play Cabin Fever" - which frankly is how some folks catch STDs. lol
He could have come here and just choked 41 women, then he'd get off scot free or on a lesser charge, his attorney would just say that he put them in a neck hold and they died from other causes.
David2074

I'd say if the police don't want to bother with a guy who admits to killing 41 people then they should throw in the towel and just build a Max Max style thunderdome over the entire place and let people have at it.l

I can't find the article, but a man admitted to killing over a hundred people in Brazil years ago (this was like a 2004 cracked article, but the links were legit). the police didn't believe him until a landslide unearth a mass grave.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Moral Gutpunch
David2074

I'd say if the police don't want to bother with a guy who admits to killing 41 people then they should throw in the towel and just build a Max Max style thunderdome over the entire place and let people have at it.l

I can't find the article, but a man admitted to killing over a hundred people in Brazil years ago (this was like a 2004 cracked article, but the links were legit). the police didn't believe him until a landslide unearth a mass grave.

eek eek eek
Just... wow.

Also kind of implies those police don't give much attention to missing persons reports either.

Kawaii Shoujo

Send that guy to the electric chair or better yet... give him a slow and torturous death, and order a en masse for the police to do their jobs correctly and get citizens whose family members were victims to hunt down those you-know-what and give them a taste of 'sweet justice( read: revenge)' against those killers.

Conservative Regular

David2074

The Brazilian Constitution says that no one gets “life” in prison.

When the Brazilian Penal Code was created the average life span of a Brazilian was about 43 years,

So maximum prison term of 30 years was constitutionally not life but in reality it was.

They have better average life span now so it does not work now.

Tipsy Smoker

David2074
Moral Gutpunch
David2074

eek eek eek
Just... wow.
Also kind of implies those police don't give much attention to missing persons reports either.
South America couldn't even stop Jim Jones so idk what to tell ya...

Wintry Dragon

He might get hired by their government as a wet works sort of guy.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Texadar
David2074

The Brazilian Constitution says that no one gets “life” in prison.

When the Brazilian Penal Code was created the average life span of a Brazilian was about 43 years,

So maximum prison term of 30 years was constitutionally not life but in reality it was.

They have better average life span now so it does not work now.

Except can't they stack sentences for multiple crimes like they can here in the US?

Let's say a person commits a robbery and Brazil gives them a max 5 year sentence. (Made up - I have no idea what the actual sentence is)
Then the person gets out and commits another robbery and gets another 5 years.
And so on for a third time.

If that same person was caught and due to evidence brought forth (say, his stash of stolen goods from various places) he is convicted of three separate robberies couldn't he be sent to prison for 15 years instead of just 5?

That's kind of how I figure it should work for multiple murders that are completely unrelated to each other except for by the person doing the murdering.

Or maybe they could just release his name and photo all the relatives and friends of the 41 people he murdered and perhaps karma would magically take care of the rest.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Chahklet
David2074
Moral Gutpunch
David2074

eek eek eek
Just... wow.
South America couldn't even stop Jim Jones so idk what to tell ya...

Yeah, still trying to get my head around same max sentence for 41 murders as for 1.

Inmate A: "What are you in for?"
Inmate B: "I murdered a guy"
Inmate A: "How long did you get?"
Inmate B: "30 years. What are you in for?"
Inmate A: "I murdered 187 people, killed their dogs and raped their babies and burned down their houses. A few of them I ate."
Inmate B: "How long are you in for?
Inmate A: "30 years:
Inmate B: "Damnit! Damnit! Damnit!"
Are you kidding me? The maximum prison time is 30 years? Someone like him should be put to death. He's a danger to society.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff