Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Man-Lover

I've been on Gaia since the year 2005. I've seen many things happen to this site.

I've come and gone periodically. When I first started, I was a high school student. I am now a graduate student working on a master's degree.

I've been more active recently than I've been in a few years, and what I've observed saddens me. Everything seems to be a mess and geared toward a profit margin. I realize that things change, but...really?

I went through some old relic forums in my subscribed threads and had a fit of nostalgia earlier. I once spent hours writing and roleplaying on here. Oh, the memories! It's hard to let go, but I'm thinking about leaving Gaia for good. I feel like I'm wandering around in a field of fossils when I log on now. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Devoted Dabbler

6,950 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Clambake 200
Yeah, I miss the good ol' days too. crying

I remember when the items of your dreams were out of reach then, as well, there just wasn't a crap load of them! I can't afford any that I really want now. And what really gets me is how many items Gaia keeps pumping out now! It's like their goal is to produce so many items so we'll never run out of items to quest. HOWEVER it disgusts me knowing that I'll never be able to afford even a fraction of them... and that makes me just want to stop coming here. It just seems futile.

Salty Gawker

Emperor of all Douchebags
Everything changes. Back then we all use Nokia phone.

I still use a Nokia phone. ******** your keyless phones.

Also op. Welcome to the present, its s**t.

Tipsy Man-Lover

berklan
Yeah, I miss the good ol' days too. crying

I remember when the items of your dreams were out of reach then, as well, there just wasn't a crap load of them! I can't afford any that I really want now. And what really gets me is how many items Gaia keeps pumping out now! It's like their goal is to produce so many items so we'll never run out of items to quest. HOWEVER it disgusts me knowing that I'll never be able to afford even a fraction of them... and that makes me just want to stop coming here. It just seems futile.

I don't even really care so much about the items anymore. For me, it's all about just the way the site looks. It's like it's all stale.

Tipsy Sex Symbol

The looks and the items dont get me.

Its the fact noone seems as willing to just goof off and chatter anymore. I used to have a ton of fun talking in towns. Now its hard finding a group that actually accepts me. x'D

Hesitant Mystic

it feels soulless

but maybe im just too old for it, it's hard to say

Bunny

42,575 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Cute 100
  • Ian's Valentine 100
I feel like there's way too many cash items being pumped into the site.
How about focusing more on quality gold shop items?

Everything is cash driven and for a user who can't spend GCash, I feel so isolated now.

Professional Novice

User Image
It's like our medical system. Doctors used to be able to take their time with you. Now you're just part of a quota.

Gaia is less like a community and more and more like a service provider.

Noob

KaylaGalela
User Image
It's like our medical system. Doctors used to be able to take their time with you. Now you're just part of a quota.

Gaia is less like a community and more and more like a service provider.

this!

Man-Hungry Bunny

10,650 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
Lots of people don't know that gaia wasn't functioning off the money it made from its monthly collectibles. The monthly collectibles helped but almost barely at all.

Most people don't know that Gaia Interactive was being funded by other companies that were making investments. Lots of companies saw how much Gaia was growing and so they invested.

After the company stopped growing and members were leaving, they stopped investing. That was around 2008 when they sorta started making the Cash Shop. They needed to make money their own way and so chose to make the Cash Shop.

It was a necessary evil. They had it the right way at first. When the introduced the Gold Generators on the other hand, that was a bit mistake. That is why we have a struggling community. That is why our economy is down the toilet.

You can't blame Gaia Interactive though. It was either swim with the current, or drown. This company has done well in terms of saving the site. They could have done better, but thats the past, people need to get over it.

Snarky Vampire

39,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Champion 300
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Although my original account was made in 2005, I'm an '07er at heart. In the past seven years, I've seen so many events and the addition of so many games and features. Pinball, Electric Love Factory, the Cash Shop, and zOMG!, to name a few of the things I saw the rise, and, sometimes, fall of. I've watched the site grow in leaps in bounds, and, while I don't agree with every way Gaia has grown, I can say I see and admire how much different it is from when I started out.

A lot of new users aren't going to get to experience the pre-zOMG! fun of "kicking" a soccer ball around in old Towns, and, speaking of zOMG!, a very fundamental part of what made the site great for me for the better part of six years is now gone and never coming back. As long as there are still forums to post in and great events to participate in, though, I'll stay.
I'm a o4'er.
s**t happens.
Things change.

As Gaia gets bigger it gets more expensive to run. Now that they are a business they have to think about profit. They have people to pay, bills to pay. It's not so simple anymore. Yeah, it sucks but I see why they are going in the direction that they are. I'm just hoping they don't piss off too many people in the process.
I was a high school student too when I joined, now an adult.

:c

I honestly knew this site was gonna change but not like with the inflation, etc

Newbie Noob

i joined back in '06 and stopped from like 2011-2013ish and now that i pop on randomly again im in complete and total shock at the value of things??? like my old account used to be worth like 4mil and now its like... 500mil. what the ********. a moment of silence for the economy

also a lot of the forums seems completely dead anymore and it kinda sucks because i used to spend an absolutely disgusting amount of time on this site and now its like. where everyone go. so hush

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff