Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aurora Quartz's Princess

Interesting Humorist

11,715 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Befriended 100
" Despite the flaw in the code for zOMG!, if you really loved it enough you would be willing to put the time and resources into re-creating that code to make it better and so it didn't have those vulnerabilities.
There are millions (this is probably not much of an exaggeration either) of Gaian's that loved zOMG!. Personally, I was not one of these people but I know plenty who did play it for fun and was their main source of income (despite the low gold drop rate, which did not hardly increase with Gaia Inflation).
I ask that you guys actually try to re-create zOMG! so that your loyal Gaians can play the game again.
Or else, sorry to say, but you're going to lose lots of people on this site.
I think many people would rather have this re-created than more rigs, gaia gold generators, or recolors of items.
Amirite? "
I would be willing to lose my account and all of its items forever if it meant bringing zOMG back. It's totally worth the vulnerability.

Winged Storyteller

62,425 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
There are people who solely bought their items so that they could dress up while playing zOMG. Giving up on something doesn't exactly show "love" unless you're an abusive lover.

Dapper Explorer

The problem is, it's not easy to recreate the code. I mean, how many years did it take them to finally launch zOMG? They also had a wide team of developers dedicated to it back then, whereas they don't now. The game is also written in Java, and none of the remaining developers left even know how to work with it.

Aurora Quartz's Princess

Interesting Humorist

11,715 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Befriended 100
" In the process of making a petition. If you agree, please look for it. "

Aurora Quartz's Princess

Interesting Humorist

11,715 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Befriended 100
peach tea latte
The problem is, it's not easy to recreate the code. I mean, how many years did it take them to finally launch zOMG? They also had a wide team of developers dedicated to it back then, whereas they don't now. The game is also written in Java, and none of the remaining developers left even know how to work with it.

" Compared to the members and money they'll lose by people not playing this game anymore, I believe it would be worth it to try and bring back the game.
No, zOMG! itself did not bring in money for Gaia, but the people who enjoyed playing it may spend 100$+ a year to customized their avi just for zOMG!. "

Angelic Blob

I think it took them about 2 years of planning and 3 years of building, so I doubt they are going to even attempt a rebuild.

If anything a mini derivative game would at least give the left over items something to do. Put zOMG items in Switchem or the Playpen or even GoFusion.

Sex Symbol

15,525 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Conventioneer 300
peach tea latte

http://www.adobe.com/inspire-archive/february2010/articles/article7/
Quote:
Production for zOMG began in 2007, so the game targets Flash Player 9, which was the latest version at that time. Flash Player 9 features everything the team needed for a development environment. Assets were created with Adobe Flash Professional and Adobe Creative Suite software. The development team used Adobe Flex Builder 3 to bring all the assets together, to complete the ActionScript 3 coding, and to add Flex specific UI controls. As I write this article, Flash Player 10 is the latest publicly available version. While Flash Player 10 offers benefits such as 3D effects, hardware acceleration (using the computer's graphics processing unit or GPU), dynamic audio, and faster code execution, the team is happy with Flash Player 9 and does not have immediate plans for a game-wide upgrade.

Fluffy Bunny

Support bump

Married Husband

9,750 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Adorable Hellraiser

14,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Tycoon 200
peach tea latte

They only developed the game over a four month period then did betas ( I was a beta tester).

Mocktails's Queen

Playful Hobo

Tbh they really need to stop worry about leeching money from us and work on getting the site back right. If they kept an annually maintenance up on zOMG! this wouldn't of happened, well not as bad, and it would have been an easier fix. (well should have been and easier fix)

This is really poor of you gaia, and take the time to bring it back to us, even if It takes over a year, don't just get rid of it all together, that's just not right.

All them hours spent by many to be able to play dms or any other runs gone to waste cause you guys will not take the time to fix something. You will loose a lot of people because of this...smh was it worth it?

Adorable Survivor

23,990 Points
  • Cash Grabber 500
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
You know what irritates me? The announcements STILL make statements like they hope the lot of us are fools who know nothing at all about coding. Granted a lot of people don't. But over the years I created, owned and ran MY OWN games online. My best friend and business partner did the coding and I made every item needed to create our carefully planned virtual world according to the theme we decided. He taught me enough coding so that should anything go wrong while he was at school or work I'd be able to look for the problem and fix it. I rented the servers and I did the nightly back ups for the game so that if God forbid anything go wrong the game could be rolled back to its most recent state and not very much would be lost. Granted our games were nowhere near as big as zOMG there is still one very basic thing about coding they have in common - it has a beginning and an end. It's almost insulting the way certain thing were phrased in the announcement - as if the coding was some monstrous thing with no end. I know it sounds like I'm over simplifying the solution but the honest to God fact is - it's just this simple: hire enough qualified coders to go through the entire thing from beginning to end and fix all security flaws. Keep zOMG closed until it's fixed. It would take a while - it would take a very long while but WE DON'T CARE HOW LONG IT TAKES and eventually they will get to the end of the repairs and it will be finished. None of us who love zOMG care how long it will be down as long as we know it's actually being repaired right and when the repairs come to an end (as they must because all coding has an end) it can be brought back safely with no risk to the rest of the site or our accounts. The announcement said

Quote:
"We even had one of the fabulous former zOMG! devs look into the issue to see how long it might take to fix this exploit, but a concrete estimate was impossible to make given the sheer volume of code."

Of course it was impossible for ONE person to give an estimate - this is NOT a one person job. It's massive! So let's be honest here and stop talking to people like they are simpletons.

Quote:
Ultimately, we decided to leave zOMG! shut down because the security of your accounts and our servers is priority.

No - You simply don't want to pay the salary of however many coders it would take to break the entire game code down in sections and go over it fixing the code in manageable sections - OUR ACCOUNTS WERE ALREADY SECURE WHEN YOU CLOSED IT FOR REPAIRS TO THE CODE. They didn't suddenly become more secure when you decided not to fix it. You decided to leave it shut down because you were unwilling to hire enough qualified coders to fix it no matter how long it took (my point being - the more people you hire to fix it - the faster it would be done.)

Those of us who truly adore zOMG do not care how long it takes to get fixed so long as it's eventually fixed. All we cared about is that it would be brought back some day. Certainly none of us held a gun to your heads and said ALL THE REPAIRS MUST BE DONE BY A CERTAIN DATE OR GIVE UP ON IT!! You made that decision on your own and permanently broke faith with everyone playing the game and spending money on this site because of zOMG whether it be for boosts or buying things for your avi to dress it up for the game.

And now because you made that last announcement trying to "clarify things" you will ignore all our outcries against it no matter what we say, no matter how many people leave. The decision to keep it permanently closed is one of the biggest ones I've seen to date - and I've seen some whoppers! It takes a HUGE chunk out of one of the most beloved part of the world of Gaia and leaves a gaping festering wound in its place.

Girl-Crazy Friend

10,425 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
cause the staff that actually loved zomg is gone, fired or left. no one gives a s**t about zomg because it doesn't bring in as much money as all these shittily designed, over priced new items do. simple as that. gaias disgusting now.

zomg wasn't broken.

Distinct Businesswoman

Kiya Rose
" Despite the flaw in the code for zOMG!, if you really loved it enough you would be willing to put the time and resources into re-creating that code to make it better and so it didn't have those vulnerabilities.
There are millions (this is probably not much of an exaggeration either) of Gaian's that loved zOMG!. Personally, I was not one of these people but I know plenty who did play it for fun and was their main source of income (despite the low gold drop rate, which did not hardly increase with Gaia Inflation).
I ask that you guys actually try to re-create zOMG! so that your loyal Gaians can play the game again.
Or else, sorry to say, but you're going to lose lots of people on this site.
I think many people would rather have this re-created than more rigs, gaia gold generators, or recolors of items.
Amirite? "

So, to give some insight into this. Gaia Interactive is based out in California in Silicon Valley. They cost to hire a developer straight out of college (undergraduate degree), is competitively, around $90,000, if not higher. Add in the cost of health, vision, and dental insurance along with perks/benefits, you're looking at over $100k for one inexperienced individual.

They currently don't have anyone writing code for zOMG, nor did they have anyone currently working on it with enough insight to investigate the code (source: the staff announcement where they specifically stated they had to bring in a former zOMG Dev to take a look).

So they'd have to hire at least one individual. Probably more like four, and it'd probably be a quarter-long project, if not longer. It took them 4 months to write something buggy and insecure. It will probably take them at least twice that amount of time to write something that isn't and go through the process of reviewing it for vulnerabilities.
This is assuming they re-use all the graphics, and all the music, and pretty much all the user interface materials. If not, add probably around $100k per hire.
In addition to that, they have a potential incident on their hands. They found an exploit in the code. They have not stated whether or not it was used to actually "hack" the site, or get into their servers, and are probably spending some resources to investigate it.
If they have an external team looking at it (e.g. contractors), it's probably in the tens of thousands of dollars for a company their size, if not more.

In addition, it's not a one and done deal. They'd have to keep these developers around to make bug fixes and add features. Because something that might not be currently vulnerable, will pretty much always, unequivocally, be vulnerable in the future due to the sheer amount of variables that go into a project that has even a moderate level of complexity. You're often relying on other third parties for code, and you're often using other software to maintain and run the code you have. If your code doesn't have a vulnerability in it, the language you're coding in, the platform you're running on, or the software you're using to host it, is going to have a vulnerability. So they'd have to keep the developers around to continue to update it.

There's a lot more that goes into this, but I think listing the above costs gives a baseline idea of what Gaia would have to do to rebuild zOMG. It's not a financially sane decision to rebuild it with their company where it is currently. It would be really really really great to see it come back and for them to fix it, but it'd require way too much in terms of finances and resources.

Do I think that's a good reason for any of this site to be where it is? No.
But in all honesty I think this is actually the one in a million situation where you can blame the previous staff for not maintaining things, and not the current folks that are currently working there.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff