Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Wizard

10,725 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Novice Mage 100
Sand Dancer Shaka
Qiam
Perhaps the best thing about this thread are the people replying to the title alone, which I posted deliberately to be misleading.
I read the OP but had nothing to add.
I touched on some of your topics from my perspective:
1) They're a business
2) Events are free
3) Cash push
4) Shift in user perspective/attitude
5) The title, because it's important, because that's how a lot of users feel

Perhaps you haven't also commented on others posts, but read them, I don't know, but to say that people were only responding to the title is a bit insulting on some levels (Read: [Nothing anyone said is that interesting except that people were baited by the title]). I put a lot of thought into my own reply, I'm sure others were the same.

Why do you think I am referring to you?

Bloodthirsty Unicorn

Quote:
Gaia is a lot bigger than it was. Gaia needs money to pay everyone and take care of expenses. In order to continue operating and providing us with FREE things, like gold shop items and events, Gaia has to make money. In order to continue getting better and producing demanded features, they have to make a profit- they have to earn more money than it takes to operate. They gotta earn enough money to do more than just keep the lights on, so to speak.

When Gaians are out of touch just as much as the staff is with its own site, really gets me. What free things exactly? The half a** gold shop updates? The two whole events we get per year? I've seen avatar sites with much less to work with (size, money, etc) provide much more for their community. Now, I wouldn't care about Gaia's daily push of their cash items if the site showed the money was being put to use. But it does not. Features do not take years to build, not when they have the income like they do. There should be no reason why smaller avatar sites can push out features faster than Gaia, seriously. No. reason. at. all.
They make well more than enough to keep the site up and running, the issue is that they don't want to spend the money on other aspects of the site other than keeping it open and paying artists/devs to push out things that are related to cash. Don't go about trying to say they need it for free things when all the free features on this site are extremely outdated. Have you not notice the huge gap between GC and non-GC users? No? Not surprised considering being on a single side can make you completely blind to the other if you make the choice.

Special Snowflake

Qiam
Sand Dancer Shaka
Qiam
Perhaps the best thing about this thread are the people replying to the title alone, which I posted deliberately to be misleading.
I read the OP but had nothing to add.
I touched on some of your topics from my perspective:
1) They're a business
2) Events are free
3) Cash push
4) Shift in user perspective/attitude
5) The title, because it's important, because that's how a lot of users feel

Perhaps you haven't also commented on others posts, but read them, I don't know, but to say that people were only responding to the title is a bit insulting on some levels (Read: [Nothing anyone said is that interesting except that people were baited by the title]). I put a lot of thought into my own reply, I'm sure others were the same.

Why do you think I am referring to you?

Mainly, my starting sentence... and also because the world revolves around me emotion_awesome

Magic Hobo

Qiam

Personally, I think the best part of this thread is the bit where I've got twice as many tips on my post than your OP and you keep swanning around oblivious like you've somehow won your argument.

Cherrypicking is not one of the more well-known logical fallacies, but it is among my least favorite.

Sparkly Wizard

10,725 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Novice Mage 100
Kitty Gnar-Gnar
Qiam

Personally, I think the best part of this thread is the bit where I've got twice as many tips on my post than your OP and you keep swanning around oblivious like you've somehow won your argument.

Cherrypicking is not one of the more well-known logical fallacies, but it is among my least favorite.

Did you want a cookie for winning the discussion thread? I'm fresh out.

Attila The Chad's Widower

Bad Boy

guns and wings

Probably because this is an avatar web site and the main thing that this site revolves around? If you're here just for friends, then get rid of all the items you own, I mean, you don't care, right? It's nothing! You don't need them, right? So why not just send them over to me?

cuz ur rude surprised if u want something u should say please

Attila The Chad's Widower

Bad Boy

Scobre
*High Fives* See I knew I couldn't be the only user to enjoy the site without opening my wallet. Things like Sims games and console games I could spend money on since I can hold them and actually own them. I feel the same way about items. I'm like oh gold and items are there for me to rent and use, but stuff that put a roof over my head are more important. I actually noticed even prior to Flynn and the whole inflation drama, people were addicted to items since that is all the topics I saw in the GCD in 2012 and 2013. It got rather boring, but I could see how Gaia is catering to users addicted to gold and items now to make money.

when the site shuts down the gold and items aint gonna be here mang
they even have this terms going on that they wont notify or refund us

i mean i get liking and wanting items
what i dont get is punishing ourselves over it if we dont get them
that sorta thing ain't good for our mental health

addiction is not a good thing

i dont think the sites 100% right in making use of some ppl's weak wills and sneakily forcing them to spend irl money by inflating fake money and such but
it's not like we need to be lifestock either, yanno? theres gotta be balance

it's not that the site isnt greedy, it is to an extent, u can't be blind to that
but then again ppl are victims to their own greed too, can't be blind to that either

im not rly having a hard time on here. maybe its bcuz im good at making gold without spending $$$ lol
or im good at being poor and dealing with it

Tenacious Glitch

24,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Newbie Helper 100
BOMB4Y
Scobre
*High Fives* See I knew I couldn't be the only user to enjoy the site without opening my wallet. Things like Sims games and console games I could spend money on since I can hold them and actually own them. I feel the same way about items. I'm like oh gold and items are there for me to rent and use, but stuff that put a roof over my head are more important. I actually noticed even prior to Flynn and the whole inflation drama, people were addicted to items since that is all the topics I saw in the GCD in 2012 and 2013. It got rather boring, but I could see how Gaia is catering to users addicted to gold and items now to make money.

when the site shuts down the gold and items aint gonna be here mang
they even have this terms going on that they wont notify or refund us

i mean i get liking and wanting items
what i dont get is punishing ourselves over it if we dont get them
that sorta thing ain't good for our mental health

addiction is not a good thing

i dont think the sites 100% right in making use of some ppl's weak wills and sneakily forcing them to spend irl money by inflating fake money and such but
it's not like we need to be lifestock either, yanno? theres gotta be balance

it's not that the site isnt greedy, it is to an extent, u can't be blind to that
but then again ppl are victims to their own greed too, can't be blind to that either

im not rly having a hard time on here. maybe its bcuz im good at making gold without spending $$$ lol
or im good at being poor and dealing with it

I remember when I used to stress over getting all the marionette recolors. Like it took me months to quest for those using zOMG! Then Gaia started making ugly recolors of them and that cured me of it. I'm generally the type of person if someone mixes an item to make an ugly outfit, I end up not liking the item or if an item is too popular I don't like it either. Being the way I am helps me a lot with handling the current site. I think that is what happened when I saw too many people wear the restrung version of it. If anything I learned from inflation is stressing with questing items just isn't worth it.

I think the term cash cows has been used quite a bit. It's actually quite interesting going to dev meats and actually being able to talk about things like this in a civil environment. I do agree that Gaia and some Gaians have shown to be greedy. I mean the whole United States has been run on greed. So many Native Americans died because of it. I don't know if it is healthy or not coming from a business background just observing the psychological things that are happening simply because of one product gold generators. It's quite entertaining to see what things Gaians praise or freak out about. I've seen so many users be harassed about what their avatar wears, what is on their wishlist, being accused of being anti-GC for not liking GGs. It just gets to a point that I think virtual greed is making the community turn against each other. It gets tiring reading every single darn time that Gaia is a business and if you don't like it then you should leave and quit the site. It's like I've only been on the site for a few years, but 2014 I think has been the most hostile year for the site. It's like you know a company isn't doing well at providing a service if you can't even post in a forum without being attacked. It's just so hard with zOMG! being down right now. I can't enjoy making a silly looking avi to attack animated with. I do notice that if I am being attacked because of my avatar having a "CS look" I enjoy making a silly looking avatar right after. It's like being able to make cool looking outfits using gold shop items only I am able to do. I just wish that Gaians were not based on simply what their avatar wears. There are a lot of cool people to talk to on Gaia without attaching a label on them.

It's sad considering the current hostile environment that I cannot supply new Gaians enough of gold shop outfits to avoid being harassed in forums and flash spaces. They really get the short end of the stick with how Gaia is now. I just wish Gaians would be more welcoming to both current and new Gaians. It's just sad seeing both the business and the community suffer simply because of new management decisions. At least the next one can't be any worst I hope.

Castiel Lover's Husbando

Malevolent Friend

25,400 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Gaian 50
Guys calm down, lets not fight about this lets just... -music plays-

Obsessive Otaku

28,950 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
I am going to go with a 'Duh.'

Rainbow Tycoon

33,625 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Tycoon 200
I'm just bitter because of the economy. When the cash shop came I was just nervous.
If they just been all like Cashitemcahsitemcashitem I'd be annoyed with it but it's only a small part of gaia that decides these things. Everyone else is cool.
It's not like I expect the artists or programmers to change anything. They continue to do a awesome job.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff