Welcome to Gaia! ::

Allow custom moves?

Yes to both 0.55555555555556 55.6% [ 20 ]
Only in For Glory 0.055555555555556 5.6% [ 2 ]
Only in tournaments 0.13888888888889 13.9% [ 5 ]
No 0.25 25.0% [ 9 ]
Total Votes:[ 36 ]
1 2 3 >

Should custom specials be allowed in tournaments and For Glory mode?
I'd be okay with custom specials.
I was kinda bummed when I found out they weren't available for For Glory.

Unbeatable Conversationalist

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
A Rojo Peach
I'd be okay with custom specials.
I was kinda bummed when I found out they weren't available for For Glory.
So was I. It really was a surprise since they went through all the effort of giving every character custom specials, yet they won't even allow them to be used online which is a major part of the game. It's weird.
Hikarulawl
No.
Would you like to elaborate or are you just going to leave it at that?
Mock Pride

Right? That's what I have been thinking.
The last tournament Nintendo held for the 3DS allowed them so I'm still wondering why.
A Rojo Peach
Mock Pride

The last tournament Nintendo held for the 3DS allowed them so I'm still wondering why.
I don't know much about the tournament scene, but I know that one reason why people are against them is because it would screw up tier lists and make establishing them a lot more difficult.

Whichmightnotbeabadthingifyouthinkaboutit.

Other than that, the announcers from I think it was the CLASH 3ds tournament said that custom moves are really up in the air and for now some tournaments are allowing them and some aren't and only time will tell if custom moves will be normally allowed in all future major tournaments.
Mock Pride
A Rojo Peach
Mock Pride

I don't know much about the tournament scene, but I know that one reason why people are against them is because it would screw up tier lists and make establishing them a lot more difficult.

Whichmightnotbeabadthingifyouthinkaboutit.

Other than that, the announcers from I think it was the CLASH 3ds tournament said that custom moves are really up in the air and for now some tournaments are allowing them and some aren't and only time will tell if custom moves will be normally allowed in all future major tournaments.

A little more work won't kill anyone.

Yeah I can see why. Some characters get better with their custom specials.
Like Rosalina's side custom. It's way better than the standard. I can also see people using Link galeless boomerang too.

Friend

For Fun needs a one on one mode. When or if it ever does, custom moves should be allowed there. I don't think ranked matches should have anything custom, for balance reasons.

I'd love to see them in tournaments, but only under one condition: that custom characters and Mii fighters get their own specific tournament bracket/ladder seperate from the main one. Custom-allowed tourney brackets would make great spectator events before the real tournament begins, as long as nobody takes them very seriously.
Kerubiel
For Fun needs a one on one mode. When or if it ever does, custom moves should be allowed there. I don't think ranked matches should have anything custom, for balance reasons.

I'd love to see them in tournaments, but only under one condition: that custom characters and Mii fighters get their own specific tournament bracket/ladder seperate from the main one. Custom-allowed tourney brackets would make great spectator events before the real tournament begins, as long as nobody takes them very seriously.
why do you think that custom moves in tournaments wouldn't be balanced?

Friend

Mock Pride
]why do you think that custom moves in tournaments wouldn't be balanced?

It's not that I think they'd be unbalanced, I'm just concerned they may be. People may yet find ways to make characters overpowered or broken using them. Or they may not. I don't think people have explored the customization in depth enough for us to know yet, but there's so many variables to think about that it's almost overwhelming. Changing a character's moveset, even if only their specials, can completely switch up their mechanics and, in the hands of a frame-perfect player, give way to a plethora of possible exploits or game breaking combos.

As I said, custom stuff should be allowed in tournaments. But it should be separate tournaments or brackets dedicated to custom characters, whilst the main event consists of stock characters. You satisfy everyone that way.

Unbeatable Conversationalist

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
Mock Pride
Hikarulawl
No.

Come now. You know in most official tournaments the rules have always been as followed.
One on one. Stock battle. No items. Final destination. Fox only.

And The For Glory mode plays by tournament rules. The way most characters alternative moves being so ridiculously powerful, you might as well be playing the game with smash balls and home run bats. In short, it defeats the purpose of tournament play.

As to say, I wouldn't mine this in the For Fun mode. I'm quite baffle why Miis and customize moves aren't allow in that particular mode.

Dangerous Player

I am perfectly okay with badges not being allowed. I have even gone through the effort of building character with special moves but no badges, just to enjoy my custom build against my friends. The custom moves should be allowed online. Just remove the badge boosts.
Hikarulawl
Mock Pride
Hikarulawl
No.

Come now. You know in most official tournaments the rules have always been as followed.
One on one. Stock battle. No items. Final destination. Fox only.

And The For Glory mode plays by tournament rules. The way most characters alternative moves being so ridiculously powerful, you might as well be playing the game with smash balls and home run bats. In short, it defeats the purpose of tournament play.

As to say, I wouldn't mine this in the For Fun mode. I'm quite baffle why Miis and customize moves aren't allow in that particular mode.
But there's already been a semi-major tournament to test the waters. So whether customs will or will not be normally allowed in tournaments is still up in the air.

And just for the record most tournament players didn't like For Glory mode because doesn't actually play by "tournament rules" since Final Destination is the only map and not exactly the most balanced.
Kerubiel
Mock Pride
]why do you think that custom moves in tournaments wouldn't be balanced?

It's not that I think they'd be unbalanced, I'm just concerned they may be. People may yet find ways to make characters overpowered or broken using them. Or they may not. I don't think people have explored the customization in depth enough for us to know yet, but there's so many variables to think about that it's almost overwhelming. Changing a character's moveset, even if only their specials, can completely switch up their mechanics and, in the hands of a frame-perfect player, give way to a plethora of possible exploits or game breaking combos.

As I said, custom stuff should be allowed in tournaments. But it should be separate tournaments or brackets dedicated to custom characters, whilst the main event consists of stock characters. You satisfy everyone that way.
this...is definitely true. It would actually make sense if this was the exact reason it's still up in the air. I really doubt that just by changing someone's specials someone could find a game breaking combination though, but it's possible i guess

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff