Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

It hasn't been announced officially, but Jena Malone, known for roles in the Hunger Games franchise and Sucker Punch, has been cast as Carrie Kelley, aka Robin, in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Carrie Kelley first appeared in the celebrated graphic novel The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, which is indeed something of an influence for the film. On top of that, Malone has been spotted on the set, she's worked with director Zack Snyder before, and on her Instagram account she's showing off her red hair and quoting Carrie Kelley.

So yeah. Expect an official confirmation shortly. It'll be interesting to see how people react to the first female Robin in live-action. It'll certainly be a surprise to people who aren't familiar with the source material.

What say you? Personally I haven't seen her act in anything, but she definitely looks the part. I'm all for introducing Carrie Kelley to the Cinematic DC Universe.
A female Robin is actually something I've been thinking of and to see how someone would interpret it would be amusing. It's a little iffy considering that there really haven't been a female Robin, but I think it's exciting.
immortalsol
A female Robin is actually something I've been thinking of and to see how someone would interpret it would be amusing. It's a little iffy considering that there really haven't been a female Robin, but I think it's exciting.

In live-action, no, there's never been a female Robin, but in the comics there's been at least two. Malone is playing Carrie Kelley, the first female Robin.
Yeah sorry I'm more cinema than comics when it comes to DC, when I have read the comics my friends never really told me there was a female Robin they only went on about the males.
A female Robin? Heck yeah About time!

Quotable Dabbler

There's a female Thor now, so why not? Sounds good to me! It'll be interesting to see the dynamic between them, but I really hope it doesn't end up being romantic... ugh.

R1NDO's Buddy

40,250 Points
  • Rightful King 500
  • Superior Hero 500
Damn it, I wish Joseph Gordon-Levitt had become Robin crying

But I guess it wouldn't have made any sense now with a new Batman.
Happy Cannibal Noises
There's a female Thor now, so why not? Sounds good to me! It'll be interesting to see the dynamic between them, but I really hope it doesn't end up being romantic... ugh.

In The Dark Knight Returns, Carrie was only thirteen years old. I don't think she'll be THAT young in the film, since Malone is almost thirty, but I doubt she'll be a love interest.

In that book, Batman retired after the death of his previous Robin, Jason Todd, and only came out of retirement years later. Carrie volunteers to be his new Robin, which he'srelu ctant to accept at first. Again, since the book is so clearly informing elements of Batman in this film, it likely has clues to other aspects we don't know about yet.

Anxious Bloodsucker

10,550 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Demonic Associate 100
Honestly I like this.
Love The Dark Knight Returns, so I like the direction the movie is going.
I don't like to say much until I actually see the finished product but I've been excited to see this for awhile.
Spider-Gwenx
Honestly I like this.
I don't like to say much until I actually see the finished product but I've been excited to see this for awhile.

I just had to tip because Spider-Gwen rules. 3nodding

I think The Dark Knight Returns has its flaws (I can't stand how horribly they depict Superman, especially because it's informed the opinions of a ton of Superman haters) but there are a lot of things it does pretty well too, and I'm glad to see how it's informing the depiction of Batman so far.

I just hope it doesn't inform the depiction of Superman too. I don't think it will, since Superman at the end of Man of Steel is in a very different place, and is overall a very different character, than the "Superman" featured in the graphic novel.

Carrie Kelley as Robin, on the other hand? I'm totally behind that, definitely. Some folks are pissed but ******** them, I think it's a great way to bring Robin back into the limelight.

Anxious Bloodsucker

10,550 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Demonic Associate 100
Captain Talavar
Spider-Gwenx
Honestly I like this.

I just had to tip because Spider-Gwen rules. 3nodding

I think The Dark Knight Returns has its flaws (I can't stand how horribly they depict Superman, especially because it's informed the opinions of a ton of Superman haters) but there are a lot of things it does pretty well too, and I'm glad to see how it's informing the depiction of Batman so far.

I just hope it doesn't inform the depiction of Superman too. I don't think it will, since Superman at the end of Man of Steel is in a very different place, and is overall a very different character, than the "Superman" featured in the graphic novel.

Carrie Kelley as Robin, on the other hand? I'm totally behind that, definitely. Some folks are pissed but ******** them, I think it's a great way to bring Robin back into the limelight.

Aha thank you~ Spider-Gwen is amazing.

It does have it's flaws (As everything does) and I can see where you're coming from. I do really like Supes (Though I can't say I'm a massive fan or I've read too much beyond All-Star) but agreed his depiction wasn't all that great. I do love it though for what it is. Also I love the look of Batman, just on a purely aesthetic standpoint.

It'd be a shame if it did shape Supes but this seems to be more of MoS sequel than a Bats (Or any of the other characters) movie.

Yeah Carrie Kelley is an awesome to throw into to the mix. I don't really care about what everyone else has been saying. I'm 100% behind it.

Aekea Explorer

12,950 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Carrie Kelly? Yeah, she is a pretty good Robin from what I can recall about her.

Quotable Conversationalist

8,550 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Ven Loki Loraine
Damn it, I wish Joseph Gordon-Levitt had become Robin crying

But I guess it wouldn't have made any sense now with a new Batman.
I sort of assumed that this movie was going to be treated separate from the rest of the movies. I could be wrong... but it's not meant to follow the Dark Knight trilogy, is it? It sounded like a totally separate movie that happened to have batman. Because I agree, he would make an awesome Robin, and they really set up for it.

As for the actress, I dunno how well she'll do, but I'm excited to see a female Robin.
I think it's a cool choice. If the new look of Batman is any indication, I'm curious to see how Robin's costume will look. The green undies/no pants thing is something I've never been against; even on d**k and Jason. Unlike a lot of people, I actually think that costume is cool, so I hope they go with it. It'd really upset me if they put her in a skirt or something like that.

As for her acting, I've never seen her in anything, so hopefully she'll do well.
Captain Talavar

I think The Dark Knight Returns has its flaws (I can't stand how horribly they depict Superman, especially because it's informed the opinions of a ton of Superman haters)

What was it about the depiction that honked you off? I'm not enough of a DC fan to have much of an opinion (seriously, TDKR, Year One, Red Son, the Richard Dragon mini-series and the Phoenix Gambit era Suicide Squad was the only titles I read).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff