Welcome to Gaia! ::

VSC_Heartz's Wife

Divine Defender

30,225 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
Concerning a certain thread creation in recent memory, as well as how much harassment concerning making threads and who got the "right" got me wondering what is the proper etiquette considered by the GCD?
Edit: This is not me trying to pick on anyone, this is the only real and recent thread list issue in a line of issues I haven't been around for. Obviously stuff happened in the past I'm not really on top of because there is a sticky specifically outlining list making rules and guidelines, and I wasn't really here before said sticky was made. Please don't make your discussion solely about that.

gaia_spoons How soon is "too soon"?
gaia_spoons How often do you ignore new thread makers in favor of well known names?
gaia_spoons When do you decide enough waiting before opening your own item list thread if no one else has?
gaia_spoons Do you think it's in good taste to turn a discussion thread into an item thread?
gaia_spoons Anything else you would like to say about item list threads?

Demonic Lover

"When to create a thread?", when the item is unlocked. It has always been ridiculously rude to just go "first!!!111" and make it with days in advance x_x;

I also have to say I dislike how no mod/FA did anything when that thread was made a few days ago and yet yesterday they moved the other lists out of the GCD /: just, move the spam when it's posted, thank you.

Kid-Jak-A-Lynn's Husband

Diamond Diamond

42,050 Points
  • Glacial Champion 350
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Level 10 250
I like a well managed easy to use list

I like when sets are listed together

I do not care who does the list as long as it is accurate

I think people who do lists to be informative are a blessing

I think people who make lists to try and be popular are pricks

Cash shop lists before any update to the shop are pointless and low content.

Speculation threads can be fun but I rather see a fresh list thread for rigs once the rig opens otherwise discussion can get drowned out

dancing_ice's Fangirl

My opinion is that item lists shouldn't be in the GCD, not saying they don't help, they do make things convenient, but that's what the resources subforum is for. Anyway, with limited topics on hand, I'd pick item lists over complaints thread any time. lol

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
What we have been having are some thread makers that put much work into artwork and organization for threads for scheduled predictable things.

Such as, every day at the same time we have new items in Cash Shop. They know that so they set things up for their thread in advance. They do not post these things until that exact time comes.

Such as, we know we will have a RIG/CI every month because there is an Advance Chance item and clues. So people make threads for those that feature clues and content Gaia has released leading up until to the item opening.

Such as, the Monthly Letters. Again, people feature clues and previews Gaia has put out leading up to the release. We know the exact date this item will come out.

What we had recently was someone eager rush to stake claim to a list for an existing RIG. It was not open yet. But we knew it would be opening soon. This makes their position similar to people posting a thread for a Monthly RIG/CI when it's still an Advance Chance. There isn't certainty on it's release date or time.

I do not like how they handled their thread. I do not like how their list turned out. They did not complete the list for some reason.

That one person ran into issues doesn't mean we can't have people outside of regulars making item list. For whatever reason they failed to include topic points and they did not have their list turn out well. You do need some experience to make proper item list because of how Gaia places and handle things,. so I understand how it can be flawed while you are building experience.

Some times two people end up posting the same list at the same time and I find myself more happy with the list by the person that is not socially more popular.

Moonlight Healer

I swear to you know: when your blood is shed in a battle, I will heal you. |
When you hold your ground against the onslaught, I will restore you. |

I like the fact that as soon as I read an announcement, I enter the GCD and voila, there's a list of items. Honestly,I don;treally care who and when created it, I'm just happy to see it and I always thank the creators for posting such threads. I love it when they are kept well-organized, not just links but some effort put is seen, nice coding, things like these.

And to those who stand against us and ravage our lands, I will destroy you! |

Rogue

I think as long as there's any information out about an upcoming release/update, someone can start a thread. RIG silhouettes, classically, can and usually spark a thread. "hints given, what are you hoping for?" "this item looks a lot like a recolor of this item" "is that a xyz themed item on the left?" Fine with me, those are valid discussion points.

What's not okay is starting a thread about something that will inevitably happen down the road with no info and no timeframe. "this thread is for when we get the next gold shop update" "this thread will be about whatever next REI we get, who do you hope the artist is?" That's.... no.

Alcopops's Pardner

Bloodthirsty Bunny

33,440 Points
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
  • Miasmal Researcher 200
Sailor Tin Nyanko said everything I planned to say, pretty much.

In addition, I like an organized list and I'm not trying to insult the elephant in the room here, but I'd like the list creator to be mature enough to not be overwhelmingly upset by strangers on the internet disapproving of their innocent motives. Even after all of it is over, there's a line in the title that indicates they're still very upset and it comes off as very unprofessional and less enjoyable to go to the thread and see what everyone has to say. I've become a very active GCDer in the past week and I try to post in every thread I find inviting... it's a bit hard to post in that one because of the negative air, not just from the thread creator but from the first 20 or so pages.

I couldn't care less about who makes the list or how popular they are or whatever. The concept of popularity is silly. Just give us a nice looking list, anyone, and be professional about it. I'll be a very happy bunny in that case.

In any case, I hope that future list creators, including the one on topic, will learn from this experience and be sure that something like this doesn't happen again. People make mistakes and people will forget about those mistakes. Let's move on, but learn from it.

VSC_Heartz's Wife

Divine Defender

30,225 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
SuccuViv
"When to create a thread?", when the item is unlocked. It has always been ridiculously rude to just go "first!!!111" and make it with days in advance x_x;

I also have to say I dislike how no mod/FA did anything when that thread was made a few days ago and yet yesterday they moved the other lists out of the GCD /: just, move the spam when it's posted, thank you.

I made a thread as well, and it got moved. The PM got lost in the abyss since the thread got moved while Gaia's severs were being questionable, didn't know till I contacted a mod about it.
I was surprised the thread wasn't removed simply due to all the spam within it. Seemed like the kind of thing mods are supposed to deter.

Shameless Nymph

20,150 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Married 100
  • Lovingly Advice 25
I've made a list thread here and there before, so I think a it's fine for anyone to create one, BUT I've noticed if someone who is more well-known in GCD makes the thread, it gets more replies compared to someone that is lesser known. I also don't think anyone should post a thread about rigs, updates, or items until they are actually released, who cares if you are first or not, it's a thread! They are meant to be there as a helpful guide for those interested in the items as well as a discussion point for what is in them, not to show off that you beat everyone else to making it.

I don't care for making threads to often about updates since I normally prefer to see those who do it more often create them, just because they actually know what they are doing and are organized. If I make one it's normally something I'm more comfortable with on the site item wise, if that makes sense. If I see multiple threads though I actually do look through each of them too see which has gathered better information so I can use it as a reference over another.

That's just my opinion on everything, I feel that the early thread got waaaay out of hand and it's ridiculous that it was even created and never removed. If someone is going to make a thread, then wait like everyone else, it's not like you get some big reward for being first.

Eternal Hellraiser

Vupie
I've made a list thread here and there before, so I think a it's fine for anyone to create one, BUT I've noticed if someone who is more well-known in GCD makes the thread, it gets more replies compared to someone that is lesser known. I also don't think anyone should post a thread about rigs, updates, or items until they are actually released, who cares if you are first or not, it's a thread! They are meant to be there as a helpful guide for those interested in the items as well as a discussion point for what is in them, not to show off that you beat everyone else to making it.

I don't care for making threads to often about updates since I normally prefer to see those who do it more often create them, just because they actually know what they are doing and are organized. If I make one it's normally something I'm more comfortable with on the site item wise, if that makes sense. If I see multiple threads though I actually do look through each of them too see which has gathered better information so I can use it as a reference over another.

That's just my opinion on everything, I feel that the early thread got waaaay out of hand and it's ridiculous that it was even created and never removed. If someone is going to make a thread, then wait like everyone else, it's not like you get some big reward for being first.

I feel like they are going for achievements... its the only thing that makes sense to me. With how they have reacted and generally not even finishing the list.

So maybe that is their reward. They'll get heated with some more upvotes I think.

Shameless Nymph

20,150 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Married 100
  • Lovingly Advice 25
Elinoi
Vupie

I feel like they are going for achievements... its the only thing that makes sense to me. With how they have reacted and generally not even finishing the list.

So maybe that is their reward. They'll get heated with some more upvotes I think.

That could be it, but I find it ridiculous since there is a forum area for those sorts of threads where people will help you fulfil that, even if you don't go there there's still better threads that it would be better suited for. It really annoys me when people don't finish the lists, I mean even if you don't have time, at least link to one of the other threads (I did this at one point).

Eternal Hellraiser

Vupie
Elinoi
Vupie

That could be it, but I find it ridiculous since there is a forum area for those sorts of threads where people will help you fulfil that, even if you don't go there there's still better threads that it would be better suited for. It really annoys me when people don't finish the lists, I mean even if you don't have time, at least link to one of the other threads (I did this at one point).

I agree, but its also cool to get it for a real thread. xD

There is also no other one to link to. And sounds like mods have been moving any of the other lists that have been posted :/
      A bit of a shame. But oh well.
      I don't mind new people trying to be list makers and stuff. But there is like no effort in organizing that particular list.

Shameless Nymph

20,150 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Married 100
  • Lovingly Advice 25
Elinoi
Vupie
Elinoi
Vupie

I agree, but its also cool to get it for a real thread. xD

There is also no other one to link to. And sounds like mods have been moving any of the other lists that have been posted :/
      A bit of a shame. But oh well.
      I don't mind new people trying to be list makers and stuff. But there is like no effort in organizing that particular list.

Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous that mods has moved them, I'm not pleased in the least about that, some didn't need to be moved. I can understand if it's messy at first, but it's not hard to go back and clean it up, you know?

Stellar Succubus

People make them pre-emptively now, saying "this is a discussion about an item that's likely to come out, and when it does, it's gonna be the item list for it!" Which I'm ambivalent on.

I'm thinking there was a guild in which users who want to do them organise themselves to do them. I hope they'll advertise that a little more so that anyone who wishes to do them can become involved. I don't want to do them though.

I will look in any thread that's organised and updates well. I don't usually pay much attention to who makes it, not in any sort of sense that would mean I'd be choosy about it anyway wink

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff