Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I want to write advice on how to get through high school and I need suggestions on what to write on. I'm welcome to all ideas so fire away!
Is it really that hard to make it through high school? Most people these days do graduate. I guess if I had to pick a piece of advice that would make life easy for someone, it'd be to know when to shut your mouth and stop talking. Too many people never quite realized that.

6,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Maltese_Falcon91
Is it really that hard to make it through high school? Most people these days do graduate. I guess if I had to pick a piece of advice that would make life easy for someone, it'd be to know when to shut your mouth and stop talking. Too many people never quite realized that.

I mean more than just graduating. Stuff like taking care of yourself, taking charge of post-graduation plans, yada yada yada

Toothsome Elder

The first step for me towards becoming an adult was realizing that the world was bigger than me, and my friends, and my school, and all the things we cared about in that little world. Perspective. Once I was able to see over the fence, so to speak, the little things which made me sad, and ego, and all of that just didn't seem to matter anymore -- the sense of angst that I had as a teenager began to go away. I saw angst for what it was -- a desire for attention coupled with a self-absorption to justify it. And why did I want attention? because I found the little world I inhabited to be empty and meaningless, and I think a lot of teenagers feel angst because they feel the same way about their own little worlds. But the idea of the world being only what you know of it is delusion, and it's startling to realize that. You know, silly things like, "Why should I do homework? I don't see any reason why! God this is so stupid!" once I was able to accept that the world was bigger than what I knew, the fact that I couldn't see a reason became a non-issue, because I realized that I couldn't see much at all. The world consists primarily of things to learn, and the more you learn, the more you realize you don't understand. When I was caught up in the claustrophobia of thinking I knew everything, I was completely unable to see that.

Anyway, I'm rambling and this thread belongs in Life Issues. I suppose my tl;dr is to relax and be open to new and unexpected things. It takes a lot of planning and then seeing those plans knocked down to realize that life is a wild ride and you can't control it.
Write about why high school is worth succeeding in. A lot of people I knew who dropped out failed to get why they should bother trying. It felt a waste of time to them - something they had to do with no foreseeable reward. And I'm not talking about "because you need to go to college and get a good job" reason because those who drop out often don't have any inclination to go to college so that excuse doesn't float. Instead, write about more personal reasons. What life skills do you learn in high school that can be useful? Why bother with algebra or English or science? Why bother doing homework? Why should they respect the teacher, follow school rules, and attend class? How is the high school experience going to help them later in life?

As for what they can do to succeed, thinking positively helps as well as staying organized. Tips on how to cut down on homework/study time and the importance of maintaining a healthy relationship with your teachers and peers might also be helpful. How to take down good notes was something I wish I had help with back when I was in high school. Back in grade school, the notes were already taken for me; I just copied the board and no one really bothered to teach me other ways to retain information. It was something I had to learn on my own in college.

Write about clubs like how to start one or why you should join one. Or how about safe and fun places to hang out with friends over the weekend? Who would you need to ask permission if you wanted to do an event for a club? How would you go about organizing it and what precautions might you take to make sure everyone has a fun and safe time?

Devout Lunatic

18,075 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
You should write about people following their passions and trying new things. I know I fell into the trap of going for all the hard classes and succeeding academically and all, but I've learned that colleges don't actually care about any of that. High school is a joke. I really regret the choices that I've made. If I could change them, I wouldn't have cared about any of the ap or honors classes and I would have taken more art or interesting/useful classes instead.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff