Welcome to Gaia! ::

Demonic Friend

XxRagingHomosexualxX

More like admiration for it's history, advancements, art, religion, etc. Sometimes I like to experience different cultures, than the culture here in the U.S.

Anxious Gekko

French Pizza
darlene devonshire
isnt being interested in other cultures like the first step to understanding & acceptance & all that? how is this bad???

eek

if you read about what I said earlier, you'd understand i was talking about the typical behaviour of a social justice warrior in specific. It is perfectly okay to show interest in another culture.
User Image

i didnt read any of ur posts because i cant see the font unless i quote it. sweatdrop

anyhow i get that this isnt everyone tho i just dont understand the logic [if there is any] of the ppl who say it is bad.

these ppl spend alot of time getting offended for other ppl that probably wouldnt be offended to begin with.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
CorruptedCaitlyn
XxRagingHomosexualxX

More like admiration for it's history, advancements, art, religion, etc. Sometimes I like to experience different cultures, than the culture here in the U.S.

Great. Just don't go around mocking it and dressing up in sacred regalia or partaking in practices without invitation or knowledge of them.

Hilarious Raider

French Pizza

no.
unless you are a sjw
they hate people who like cultures other than their own.

User Image

lol, reminds me of this exchange over tumblr

User Image

Invisible Senshi

CorruptedCaitlyn
Let me ask you this, would it be strange to maybe become acustomed to certain cultures. For example, trying new meals or setting different furniture? Sorry I'm just really interested in a particular culture and I want to be familiar with it soon so I can decide in the future. sweatdrop

In my honest opinion, I think it is NORMAL. It is considered a good thing to look to another "culture."

Of course, you might get a stupid question or a few funny looks...but if you like whatever culture, do what you want. It's educational and it would be YOUR furniture in YOUR house! You'll be eating different food! That's good!

Learn as much as you can and do your best to not look down on other cultures. There are some people who would compare them. Huhuhuh. Don't be like them.

Last time I checked, many people want their "culture" admired and read about. You're doing something that would make some people smile. Either that or someone would take it the wrong way. "That's how WE do fix (whatever whatever) You do not have my permission to do that!"

Shadowy Rogue

3,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
I think it's quite healthy to reach out to other cultures and try to learn from them. People should do it more often, especially Americans.

inb4 Twilight blocks everyone in the thread.

Demonic Friend

XxRagingHomosexualxX

Great. Just don't go around mocking it and dressing up in sacred regalia or partaking in practices without invitation or knowledge of them.

Of course not. I'm happy to just take time to read about it. I'm only asking other people what they think. Being on Tumblr gave my doubt about learning other cultures so I was just curious.

Devoted Pirate

Tuah
I think it's quite healthy to reach out to other cultures and try to learn from them. People should do it more often, especially Americans.

Are you still butthurt about being told you cannot crash through the cultural china shop like a drunken bull who got stung by a hornet on its testicle?

Seriously, there are what I consider green light, yellow light, and red light cultural sharing. Green light sharing, food, language, pop culture, certain festivals. Yellow light (invitation only) certain rituals/spirituality, certain festivals. Red light, closed spirituality traditions.

There are folk who have bugs up their arse's who cannot distinguish between those.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
CorruptedCaitlyn

Of course not. I'm happy to just take time to read about it. I'm only asking other people what they think. Being on Tumblr gave my doubt about learning other cultures so I was just curious.

Maybe also dressing your avi up with native stuff isn't the way to go, though people seem to think it's cute and cool. But cultural items aren't meant to be trendy or edgy and hipster.
French Pizza
Toki Bird

so according to them liking other cultures is bad?
shouldn't it be the other way around?
getting to know another culture stops hate (in theory)

they are under the impression that showing interest in another culture is "cultural appropriation". it could be the other way around, as well.
Showing dislike to another culture is "racist".

User Image

Some "SJW" might be over the top, but there is a difference between respecting a culture and using culturally significant things because they are "trendy"
As someone of aboriginal descent, I don't like it when I see people wearing headdresses to be trendy. War bonnets are earned through acts of bravery, they are not a fashion statement.
I'm all for learning other cultures traditions, eating other cultures food, and learning other languages, but you have to be respectful about it!

Devoted Pirate

TheDirtWhispered

Some "SJW" might be over the top, but there is a difference between respecting a culture and using culturally significant things because they are "trendy"
As someone of aboriginal descent, I don't like it when I see people wearing headdresses to be trendy. War bonnets are earned through acts of bravery, they are not a fashion statement.
I'm all for learning other cultures traditions, eating other cultures food, and learning other languages, but you have to be respectful about it!
Would a good comparison be that someone was wearing a Purple Heart, or a Medal of Honor because it looked trendy?
Tuah

do you think your posts regarding cultural issues are skewed because rather than actually having an informed opinion on anything you instead have recollections of being called a weaboo because you liked some asian thing and now want to turn the tables and in an attempt to get rid of the weaboo label approve of any cultural thing regardless of how appropriating ?
Blackrose_Knight
TheDirtWhispered

Would a good comparison be that someone was wearing a Purple Heart, or a Medal of Honor because it looked trendy?

That's probably a pretty decent comparison. They were only worn by chiefs and warriors. I've never seen anyone wear a Medal of Honour because it looked trendy though. To people who understand the ceremonial importance of the headdress, they might compare wearing it without having earned it to disrespecting a flag or something similar.

Shadowy Rogue

3,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
Blackrose_Knight
Tuah

Are you still butthurt about being told you cannot crash through the cultural china shop like a drunken bull who got stung by a hornet on its testicle?

Seriously, there are what I consider green light, yellow light, and red light cultural sharing. Green light sharing, food, language, pop culture, certain festivals. Yellow light (invitation only) certain rituals/spirituality, certain festivals. Red light, closed spirituality traditions.

There are folk who have bugs up their arse's who cannot distinguish between those.

It seems to me that we're arriving at similar destinations from different routes. I'm suggesting that it's racist to automatically assume that a person is a drunken bull simply because of their racial background, which is always the case I see when the term 'cultural appropriation' is thrown around. Likely by those bug-up-arse-SJWs.

Even then, I think the only time it really becomes offensive of a person is when they're a direct oppressor. Otherwise it's more tedious of them than anything.

Chatty Codger

6,775 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I think it's a good thing to learn about how other people live. Who they are, where they came from,-still, some people take it to an extreme. I've run into too many people who think they know a lot about a culture and run around trying to emulate it from poor resource material and end up embarrassing themselves and I'd think probably insulting the people they fancy themselves to be. And yes, I'm talking about weeaboos.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff