Welcome to Gaia! ::

Newbie Noob

I've been working on a Intuos4 Medium and I love it don't get me wrong, but I've also been drooling over the Cintiq. I was wondering if it's really worth the price? If any of you have one, has it in any way improved the way you draw? Do you find it easier/more enjoyable to draw digitally?

emotion_bigheart

Distinct Elder

I'd say it depends. We've got a collection of Cintiqs on campus, and while they're nice to use, I kind of consider them an unnecessary luxury. I'd say only buy on if the money is absolutely not a problem, your art is primarily line-based, and/or if you don't already own a tablet. I'll admit it's better for linework, but honestly it's about the same if not a tad worse for everything else.

Too many people I see pick them up under this impression it'll improve their digital work, and most people I see actually get worse because it gives them a false sense of confidence and the idea that "since this looks more like what I'd do traditionally it looks cooler."

Newbie Noob

Itchy the Hatter
I'd say it depends. We've got a collection of Cintiqs on campus, and while they're nice to use, I kind of consider them an unnecessary luxury. I'd say only buy on if the money is absolutely not a problem, your art is primarily line-based, and/or if you don't already own a tablet. I'll admit it's better for linework, but honestly it's about the same if not a tad worse for everything else.

Too many people I see pick them up under this impression it'll improve their digital work, and most people I see actually get worse because it gives them a false sense of confidence and the idea that "since this looks more like what I'd do traditionally it looks cooler."

Ahh I see. I have a feeling it'd be more difficult to color/shade stuff on it maybe? I've also heard that the screen gets really hot too. I wish I could just try it out one of these days to see how it feels..

Distinct Elder

Le Morbide
Ahh I see. I have a feeling it'd be more difficult to color/shade stuff on it maybe? I've also heard that the screen gets really hot too. I wish I could just try it out one of these days to see how it feels..

It gets a little warm and the feeling of your hand brushing against the screen the whole time can get a little unpleasant.

People seem to just think Cintiqs will bring their art to "the next level." It probably won't do anything for your painting, unless you just don't own a tablet at all.

Ruthless Hellraiser

From what I've seen Cintiqs are the industry standard for professional illustration and 3D modeling for companies. If you are not trained or have not used a tablet a Cintiq can be overwhelming. If you do not use it all the time then it is just like any other tablet and your skills suffer. It has a learning curve. However, like with most things, after the learning curve it will actually help. I use a Cintiq companion hybrid, and once I got use to it and started using it everyday I did improve.

Kawaii Phantom

14,500 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
Unless you're planning to turn your hobby into a (side)job, I'd stick with the Intuos, or go for the tablet version if it's cheap.
I think it's a little silly to spend so much on an item that you'll only use for a hobby.

O.G. Loiterer

10,375 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
If you're doing art as a hobby, I wouldn't get one. If you're going professional and your Intuos isn't doing it for you and money is not a problem, then go for it. My campus studio is filled with them (the larger ones) and they are great to use, but they get VERY hot sometimes. A friend of mine actually got a heat rash from it, so be careful about that. I also find my hand sticks to it because it gets so warm. I've started using a glove when I draw with it.

It does help with lineart a lot. I like it because I can rotate the whole thing which is great. I find I need to recalibrate it a few times because the pointer tends to drift a bit while I'm drawing somehow.

I'm planning on getting one after I graduate and find a job. It's a bit faster for me, but it might not be a fit for others. I know some people who hate them. If you can, see if you can find one to try it out first. Keep it mind a better tablet doesn't necessarily mean better art.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff