Welcome to Gaia! ::

Chatty Fatcat

7,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
What would be your recommended/top places to go? Restaurants to try? I'm open to try new things and capture some amazing moments at new sites. I'll be laying over between my flight from Shanghai back to the US.

But if you happen to have recommendations for any other places in either Beijing or Shanghai that are in the city, please let me know as well. ^_^
Seoul Tower will give you an amazing view of vast swathes of Seoul.
For history, Gyeongbukgung, Gwanghwamun, or Namdaemun are probably the most famous. The first is the palace of the last dynasty of Korea. Gwanghwamun is a restored gate from the old city wall that has a historic reenactment of the changing of the guards, and is sharply contrasted with the ultramodern feel of the surrounding cityscape there. Namdaemun is another gate of the city and is considered the top national treasure. There's also an open air market near the gate that's one of the oldest running markets in the country.

I can't recommend specific restaurants since I haven't lived there in years, but if you're looking for a taste of daily life, I'd recommend trying barbecue that's done right at your table. If you're old enough to drink, I'd combine that with soju to have the meal the popular way!

Like any city, there's plenty to see (and eat). These are some of the bigger attractions to the city, though your actual interests may influence what you ultimately want to do.

Sparkly Sailor

10,550 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Cat Fancier 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

STUFF YOURSELF WITH STREET FOOD
just hang around hongdae or itaewon and shop and stuff. some good food to try is def jeon (like pancakes?). if you go to a jeon resteraunt they serve like a huge array of different kinds like kimchi and onion and beef pumpkin and they're GREAT

Chatty Fatcat

7,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Tennants
Seoul Tower will give you an amazing view of vast swathes of Seoul.
For history, Gyeongbukgung, Gwanghwamun, or Namdaemun are probably the most famous. The first is the palace of the last dynasty of Korea. Gwanghwamun is a restored gate from the old city wall that has a historic reenactment of the changing of the guards, and is sharply contrasted with the ultramodern feel of the surrounding cityscape there. Namdaemun is another gate of the city and is considered the top national treasure. There's also an open air market near the gate that's one of the oldest running markets in the country.

I can't recommend specific restaurants since I haven't lived there in years, but if you're looking for a taste of daily life, I'd recommend trying barbecue that's done right at your table. If you're old enough to drink, I'd combine that with soju to have the meal the popular way!

Like any city, there's plenty to see (and eat). These are some of the bigger attractions to the city, though your actual interests may influence what you ultimately want to do.

Wow I'll definitely do a little more research and see if I'll have enough time for that within my itinerary! Thanks so much smile

Oh, and soju/kbbq are my favorite here in the US. So it should be like... 10000x better over there <3

Chatty Fatcat

7,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PRINCESS SEHUN

STUFF YOURSELF WITH STREET FOOD
just hang around hongdae or itaewon and shop and stuff. some good food to try is def jeon (like pancakes?). if you go to a jeon resteraunt they serve like a huge array of different kinds like kimchi and onion and beef pumpkin and they're GREAT

Food is the best way to my heart... Omnomnomnom that's actually something Korean I haven't tried! Thanks for the suggestion biggrin

Distinct Citizen

Hey! You're lucky you get to visit Seoul even if its only for a day. Will you be alone or with other friends...?
I would defiantly suggest Noribang (Korean Karaoke) if you are going with family or friends. That's something you can do all night long.
If you like dogs or cats there are a few Cafe's you can go to and drink coffee and play with the animals.
I would also recommend renting a bike and riding it around the river in Seoul. That's always fun and you can see a lot of the city that way.

As for food I would say barbecue... there are many restaurants but my personal favorite is Saemaeul Sikdang. Its a chain of spicy thin pork. I seriously eat here like three times a week. They give you lettuce so you can make wraps... and the doenjang jjigae soup is one of the best in Korea. (It comes for free if you order rice).
All BBQ places are good, but that one is the foreigners favorites.

Let me know if you need any help. Also if you let me know what season you would be coming I could suggest more things. I love Korea ^^
In Seoul

N Seoul Tower
Myeong-dong
Gyeongbokgung
National Folk Museum Of Korea
National Museum Of Korea
War Memorial Of Korea
Heunginjimun
Lotte World
Namsan
Jongmyo

In Beijing

Forbidden City
Tiananmen Square
Great Wall Of China
Temple Of Heaven
Summer Palace
Beihai Park
Yonghe Temple
Mutianyu
Juyong Pass
Ming Tombs

In Shanghai

Yu Garden
Oriental Pearl Tower
Shanghai French Concession
Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Centre
Shanghai Museum
Xintiandi
Jade Buddha Temple
Jin Mao Tower
Shanghai New International Expo Centre
City God Temple Of Shanghai

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
I'd love to spend some time in Seoul. Definitely try some authentic kimchi. I think I'd have to explore the city too, and see what else is happening like if there are any street food venders after dark.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff