Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Lunatic

I wanna learn Finnish.

Any Finnish speakers have any recommendations for where to start?

emotion_kirakira
i wanna learn as well

Lonely Explorer

7,200 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I can teach you basics

Perkele - Hi there

Voi vittu - How are you
Vapouria
I can teach you basics

Perkele - Hi there

Voi vittu - How are you

Eivät puhu suomea. Somehow, I get the idea that you are not the ideal opettaja for them.

Wheezing Fatcat

It's not my first language, but I've been teaching myself for a while. The pronunciation has always been easy, and I'm starting to get a handle on the cases finally.

I mostly just listen to Finnish music and read Finnish news pages. I also keep a chart of the cases suffixes on hand.

Lonely Explorer

7,200 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Sandokiri
Vapouria
I can teach you basics

Perkele - Hi there

Voi vittu - How are you

Eivät puhu suomea. Somehow, I get the idea that you are not the ideal opettaja for them.

Hahaa but I am ! heart
Vapouria
Sandokiri
Vapouria
I can teach you basics

Perkele - Hi there

Voi vittu - How are you

Hahaa but I am ! heart

Then at least steer them right at the start, then bring in the "fun" (read: impolite) phrases once they have the basics. Terve = hello, and kuinka voitte = how are you. 3nodding

Shameless Sweetheart

I've been trying off and on to learn Finnish (though I really should get a handle on it before I move away for college. c': ) and honestly I don't think there's really a good place to start.
If you're in any situation like mine learning resources will be hard to come by, but for any basic information about the language and rules it holds, I'd skim through [here]. I haven't really gotten through the external links or anything so I can't say much there (I can only assume they're helpful and credible, maybe I shouldn't, but I am as of right now.) but what I have read covers pretty much every base.
Otherwise, I guess you start with vocabulary building/phrases like any other language. (I use [memrise] for basic word lists) I would also suggest keeping a case chart or something similar (It was mentioned already, and I agree that it's a wondrous help.) Just by doing that I've managed to muscle my way through small articles/stories/songs. c:
I've also heard it's very helpful to have a partner that's fluent, though I myself haven't found one yet. You can always do your best to substitute for that by immersing yourself in the language as much as possible. (tv, music, radio, etc.)
Good luck and have fun. c:

Anxious Unicorn

11,675 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Mega Tipsy 100
My roommate is Finnish..Learning this language will be serious business..
Finnish is my mother language. I'm happy to help you with any questions considering the language, the best I can.

I'd suggest looking up basics online, and starting from there. there are many videos and sites teaching the simple things.

videos are better for practicing pronunciation, which you might want to learn from the start,
because it seems to create the biggest problems for many foreigners. o:

I used to teach Finnish online with microphone, but I'm too busy for that currently. :<
feel free to write to me here or send messages, if you have questions about something specific.

RevvRaptor's Fangirl

Toxic Garbage

Hello there~

I'm Finnish. I can teach you if you want. ^-^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items