Welcome to Gaia! ::

Enduring Seeker

6,475 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Marathon 300
Children Exposed To Religion Have Difficulty Distinguishing Fact From Fiction, Study Finds

Quote:
Young children who are exposed to religion have a hard time differentiating between fact and fiction, according to a new study published in the July issue of Cognitive Science.

Researchers presented 5- and 6-year-old children from both public and parochial schools with three different types of stories -- religious, fantastical and realistic –- in an effort to gauge how well they could identify narratives with impossible elements as fictional.

The study found that, of the 66 participants, children who went to church or were enrolled in a parochial school were significantly less able than secular children to identify supernatural elements, such as talking animals, as fictional.

By relating seemingly impossible religious events achieved through divine intervention (e.g., Jesus transforming water into wine) to fictional narratives, religious children would more heavily rely on religion to justify their false categorizations.

“In both studies, [children exposed to religion] were less likely to judge the characters in the fantastical stories as pretend, and in line with this equivocation, they made more appeals to reality and fewer appeals to impossibility than did secular children,” the study concluded.

Refuting previous hypotheses claiming that children are “born believers,” the authors suggest that “religious teaching, especially exposure to miracle stories, leads children to a more generic receptivity toward the impossible, that is, a more wide-ranging acceptance that the impossible can happen in defiance of ordinary causal relations.”

According to 2013-2014 Gallup data, roughly 83 percent of Americans report a religious affiliation, and an even larger group -- 86 percent -- believe in God.

More than a quarter of Americans, 28 percent, also believe the Bible is the actual word of God and should be taken literally, while another 47 percent say the Bible is the inspired word of God.

Edit: Paper from Cognitive Science

Greedy Consumer

Thank god science is supporting atheism lol.

Separating fact from fiction is highly essential for really any major life choices. Which people make before their prefrontal cortex fully develops at 25/26. Which means if they make the wrong choices early on and get in the habit of those choices as an adult they could be making wrong choices most of their lives.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Okay, who wasn't expecting this outcome?

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Being a nonbeliever myself, I think this test is a tad unfair. See, when we grow up, we learn what's real and what's not, or atleast what our parents want us to believe is real and not real. I'd say there are three "folders" in the memory banks of a religious person:

What is real.
What is make believe.
What is real based on faith.

See, six year olds believe anything they tell them, like Santa Clause. The problem is, when they discover Santa isn't real years later, parents always admit that he wasn't, so their faith in God isn't swayed because you don't constantly tell the young uns about Santa and everything he does. Scientific thought only goes so far when you've been willingly brainwashed your whole life. confused

Enduring Seeker

6,475 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Marathon 300
Gardening_with_Rave_Music

Separating fact from fiction is highly essential for really any major life choices. Which people make before their prefrontal cortex fully develops at 25/26. Which means if they make the wrong choices early on and get in the habit of those choices as an adult they could be making wrong choices most of their lives.

Most of these children will probably be much better at separating fact from fiction well before they reach the age of 25. But if somehow they were to remain unable to distinguish reality from imagination by that age, what specific life choices do you think would be negatively impacted?

Greedy Consumer

Nerdologist
Gardening_with_Rave_Music

Most of these children will probably be much better at separating fact from fiction well before they reach the age of 25. But if somehow they were to remain unable to distinguish reality from imagination by that age, what specific life choices do you think would be negatively impacted?
Well people thinking things like De Ja Vu are supernatural in nature. They might think stuff like divination is real, or stuff about ghosts or spirits or something. Then they might get some sort of hobby involving those things. Or they think praying will get them what they want and they don't prepare properly for their futures.

It could impact their career choice in college because of them perceiving something to be a good offer when its not, then get stuck with a bad career choice. Such as fraud, if they have a hard time finding out what is false, they are more likely to run failing businesses or get scammed out of their money.

Also it could impact their social lives and how they vote, such as that case a while back where somebody's brother beat up their girlfriend because they were in a lesbian relationship, he likely didn't want her to go to hell, I believe the article mentioned they were christian, and he likely thought she was tempted by sin or something naive. That can impact a person's future.

Enduring Seeker

6,475 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Marathon 300
Kaiser Khorosho
Being a nonbeliever myself, I think this test is a tad unfair. See, when we grow up, we learn what's real and what's not, or atleast what our parents want us to believe is real and not real. I'd say there are three "folders" in the memory banks of a religious person:

What is real.
What is make believe.
What is real based on faith.

See, six year olds believe anything they tell them, like Santa Clause. The problem is, when they discover Santa isn't real years later, parents always admit that he wasn't, so their faith in God isn't swayed because you don't constantly tell the young uns about Santa and everything he does. Scientific thought only goes so far when you've been willingly brainwashed your whole life. confused

Good point, but this does not go against anything explicitly stated in the article, which only spoke of young children. What was unfair about the study?

Apparently secular 6-year-olds do not believe everything they're told.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Nerdologist

arrow I find this extremely worrisome and mildly disturbing, tbh.
arrow I do think that it might impair choices later in life, as mentioned by Gardening_With_Rave_I
arrow Religion might also stunt moral development.

Enduring Seeker

6,475 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Marathon 300
XxTheVeganVampirexX
Nerdologist

arrow I find this extremely worrisome and mildly disturbing, tbh.
arrow I do think that it might impair choices later in life, as mentioned by Gardening_With_Rave_I
arrow Religion might also stunt moral development.

Are you more worried by the impact during their childhood or adulthood?

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I really would want to see a follow up on this to see what effect this difference has on them later in life. Does some kids learning to distinguish this earlier/later have any lasting impact is something I'd like to know.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Nerdologist

Are you more worried by the impact during their childhood or adulthood?

arrow I guess if they have such a skewed world-view and cannot distinguish fact from fiction, they might keep that cognitive blockage for the rest of their lives. I am more concerned about the impact on their childhood, as it shapes them to be the adults of tomorrow.
Wow, teach a kid that something fictional is factual, and then they'll be less able to distinguish the two categories....DUHHHH!!!

Enduring Seeker

6,475 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Marathon 300
The Herald of War
I really would want to see a follow up on this to see what effect this difference has on them later in life. Does some kids learning to distinguish this earlier/later have any lasting impact is something I'd like to know.

Same here, but I doubt they would all allow researchers to probe into their personal lives as adults, especially if their lives are ******** up as a result of credulity and superstition.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Thank God my parents gave me the Freedom of Religion and allowed me to choose my own path.

By the way, I never really believed in the 'fat guy in the red suit' unless it entertained me to do so (it's called make believe). But I do know about St. Nicholas, too. My parents like that I am educated.

Wintry Dragon

I think children(5-6 years old) are prone to magical thinking and their concept reality(reality testing) is still very limited around that age. I think it's a biology thing (brain development). These are the ones that believe that if they are injured, their life leaks out of their bodies through a hole in their skin unless you put a band aid on it.

Is the study now telling me that millennia of various religious upbringing predisposed man to this developmental concept or does the study have some problems with correlations.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff