Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Reveler

GhostlyMark
Professor Alcoholic
Tuah
Professor Alcoholic
It's less than bullshit. It is invented bullshit by Tumblrites. Ignore it and move along.

I saw it used on Gaia a couple times recently so I thought I'd chime in before it caught on.

This tumblr s**t is going to get people killed. Either they're going to kill themselves, or they're going to spit bile at the wrong ******** and will find themselves at the business end of a lethal beating, a stabbing, or even a brutal rape and murder. These people have built themselves a false foundation of aggression and their attitude is going to invite the darker corners of the world to eat them alive.

I mean that almost literally. These people will all die. They won't survive long enough to be forced to see reason and to learn. They will oppose it, fight it to their graves, and to their graves it will take them. Express ticket. These people aren't going to learn any harsh life lessons because they are directly opposed to learning anything at all. They will simply be killed by the world's refusal to tolerate their bullshit. It makes me so ******** sad and depressed to be so certain of so much death, and I want to be wrong. But I see it ending no other way. Every one of these deluded and out of control mental cases is going to die before they get old enough to learn anything.

And if one does die, it will just fuel their ideology
Example: Elliot ******** Roger
Those ******** beef sandiwches on legs will suffer a similar treatment, I fear. Not as immediate for they aren't as vocally abusive about their demands. They will be given opportunity to cause some real damage before it collapses on them, but the weight of the world and what it wants will crush them too.

That's what I like about the earth, and about humanity. On a long enough timeline, each will clean itself out. Completely.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Tuah
is bullshit. The entire concept that people should not celebrate or engage in cultures other than the one they grew up in is bass-ackward. It is ignorant to think that a culture has no value outside the fact that people are born into it. To embrace other cultures is a way to learn more about the world and the perspectives people understand it with.

arrow The thing is, cultural appropriation isn't celebrating a culture. It's borrowing what you think it's cool from it and completely ignoring the importance, as well as the stigma.

arrow Appreciate it, be a part of the celebrations. Be respectful. Don't be entitled to our culture.

Quote:
To emulate dress or appearance should not be thought of as "offensive", but rather as a compliment. Sure, some people may perhaps be misguided in their understanding of a particular culture they wish to emulate, but it is improper to treat those individuals with disrespect. Rather, they should be just as appreciated as anyone; merely guided towards better understanding.

arrow Yeah, like white boys who dress up as 'thugs' and hipsters who wear native headdresses and want to be 'squ*ws' for Halloween? Is that appreciation? No. It's racist appropriation.
arrow Or being g*psies, too. All cool. Not at all reducing a culture to a caricature.

arrow Or white girls twerking and boys calling each other n*gger. Highest form of flattery.

Quote:
The only thing I can think of which might be offensive is to intentionally misrepresent an under-represented culture for means of profit or mockery. But this is not most cases.

arrow That is most cases. These cultures are seen as profitable. Coachella profits from native symbols, and the Color Run from Hindu religious festivals. It's just another form of Imperialism/Colonialism disguised as trends.

Quote:
Have you received any hate for it? Was it from "social justice warriors" or somebody else?
Anything else related to the subject?

arrow Ooh, the dreaded social justice warriors.
Why Juxtaposed
GoneCrazyResurrected
Moogle Voodoo
User Image I tend to ignore those "social justice warrior" types and just do what I want

That's the smart thing to do.

I never go on Tumblr however I still seem to get an idea of the insanity that goes over there. Although if I stopped posting in here then that would probably disappear since some people in the LD are SJW's with tumblrs and are the very kinds of people we are talking about.

name a single sjw in the ld.

NoMercy.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
Tuah
is bullshit. The entire concept that people should not celebrate or engage in cultures other than the one they grew up in is bass-ackward. It is ignorant to think that a culture has no value outside the fact that people are born into it. To embrace other cultures is a way to learn more about the world and the perspectives people understand it with.

To emulate dress or appearance should not be thought of as "offensive", but rather as a compliment. Sure, some people may perhaps be misguided in their understanding of a particular culture they wish to emulate, but it is improper to treat those individuals with disrespect. Rather, they should be just as appreciated as anyone; merely guided towards better understanding.

The only thing I can think of which might be offensive is to intentionally misrepresent an under-represented culture for means of profit or mockery. But this is not most cases.

So, have you ever wanted to embrace a foreign culture? Have you received any hate for it? Was it from "social justice warriors" or somebody else?
Anything else related to the subject?

I seriously disagree with you on this whole issue. in fact, I bolded the part that's outright incorrect. I'm not sure I can eloquently enough explain my reasons in my own words, so I will instead show you a few articles that I think pretty clearly explain why cultural appropriation is a bad thing.

What Is Cultural Appropriation And Why Is It Wrong?

Cultural Exchange and Cultural Appropriation

Jezebel.Com article about the coachella bindi controvercy

here's an excerpt I think is very important.
When singer Katy Perry performed as a geisha at the American Music Awards in November 2013, she described it as an homage to Asian culture. Asian Americans disagreed with this assessment, declaring her performance “yellowface.” The Wall Street Journal’s Jeff Yang said that her performance did not celebrate Asian culture but misrepresented it entirely. He found it particularly problematic that Perry dressed as a geisha to perform the song “Unconditonally” about a woman who pledges to love her man no matter what.

“The thing is, while a bucket of toner can strip the geisha makeup off of Perry’s face, nothing can remove the demeaning and harmful iconography of the lotus blossom from the West’s perception of Asian women — a stereotype that presents them as servile, passive,” Yang wrote, “and as Perry would have it, ‘unconditional’ worshippers of their men, willing to pay any price and weather any kind of abuse in order to keep him happy.”

the thing is, I come from a family where I was raised with stories from Hindu mythology. I'm an American living in the south, where white jesus is the "normal" God to pray to. my family isn't christian. we all have an understanding of christianity, and have a freaking buffet of churches to choose from if we ever wanted to see a christian religious leader to talk to. but we certainly don't have many choices for Hindu Temple. there's one about 30 minutes drive away in a teeny tiny rural town. and there might be one on the other side of town from me. but that's about it.

so how come there are so many shops selling Saris and Bindis? how come so many white christians, who don't even know who Ganesh or Shiva or Parvati are, are wearing these things? yes, there is actually a sizable Indian population here. there are more Hindus here than in other places in the south. but most of the people wearing Indian cultural attire or Hindu religious symbols are neither Indian nor Hindu. I rarely see a Hindu Indian wearing a Sari unless she is at a public exposure event of some sort, such as the Farmer's Market, or the Culture Day events at school.

these are leftover behaviors from the colonial world. this is a matter of theft, not respect.
Tuah
Professor Alcoholic
It's less than bullshit. It is invented bullshit by Tumblrites. Ignore it and move along.

I saw it used on Gaia a couple times recently so I thought I'd chime in before it caught on.

In the LD? Or somewhere else?
disney butts
Wearing an item that has significant cultural or religious ties (ex: a Native American chief headdress or bindis) for 'funsies' or to look cute, don't. You look stupid and it reduces the significance of the item to just an accessory.

Eating other culture's food, having dreadlocks when you're not a POC, using chopsticks in Asian restaurants, wearing 'Aztec' or 'tribal' prints, or having tattoos from another culture is not something to get pissed about. Most of us live in America, a melting pot of cultures. Cultures borrow from each other all the time.

But non-Hindus need to seriously stop with the bindis. My eyes roll out of my head when I see a white boho girl with a bindi.

I'm going to do this just to annoy the crap out of you.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Why Juxtaposed
GoneCrazyResurrected
Moogle Voodoo
User Image I tend to ignore those "social justice warrior" types and just do what I want

That's the smart thing to do.

I never go on Tumblr however I still seem to get an idea of the insanity that goes over there. Although if I stopped posting in here then that would probably disappear since some people in the LD are SJW's with tumblrs and are the very kinds of people we are talking about.

name a single sjw in the ld.

:raises hand.: me?

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Lady Crumpet
Yeah I call bullshit. Unless you're doing it to take the piss out of them then there's no harm.

One thing I'll never get is religious tattoos if you're not religious. I have a friend who has rosary beads tattooed around her ankle yet she couldn't give a hoot about religion. My Christo friend got mad at her for it and she replied 'but it's well pretty leave it out'. Why. Just why.

I think your christian friend was justified in her discomfort with her religious icons being used as a prop by someone who isn't even religious. her feelings are completely valid. that is in fact a case of cultural appropriation.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Paprika Muffin
User Image

As much as I wished for the happiness of one...

Cultural appropriation is a joke. It's not Mexican food. It's just food. CA doesn't exist and was created by people on tumblr who have never stepped outside into the real world. Our entire world and traditions are formed by people getting together and sharing their ideals and cultures with one another.

So if a dude decides to wear a chinaman outfit, it's not 'cultural appropriation'. It's just racist. If a white girl wants to wear a kimono because she thinks they're beautiful, she's a appreciating the culture, and therefore isn't racist.

Mixing cultures allows us to be more accepting of those with views different from ours, so the concept of cultural appropriation is actually really counter productive.

someone else must be equally cursed.

I'm such a fool.

User ImageUser Image

cultural appropriation existed LONG before the internet. stare

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Mister Okami
I find it funny that sjws are really the only people who get upset by people appropriating culture while the actual cultures being "appropriated" don't care unless the person's legitimately being offensive or disrespectful.

you don't understand the definition of cultural appropriation if you think that. you're also blatantly mistaken about how much people of the appropriated cultures care about it.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
GhostlyMark
Dolce Rogue
Paprika Muffin
Dolce Rogue
Paprika Muffin

It's not Mexican food. It's just food.

You're kidding... right?

I mean by that is that it's food from the Mexican culture. It's not 'Mexican only' food that is sacred to Mexicans and is blasphemous for any person outside of the culture to partake in.

Okay this makes more sense now.

we'rewere you gonna attack her dolce surprised

Shadowy Rogue

3,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
Funny how nobody complains about the Great Taika, when Japan literally copied everything they saw China doing, but with their own twist to it. And ignoring parts they didn't like, like footbinding. And I never see anything more about ganguro girls than eyerolling. Also funny how people said Filthy Frank's Harlem Shake video was another example of whites appropriating black culture, when everything visible in the entire room was pretty goddamn Asian. Including Frank himself.

The most this subject should ever amount to is perhaps an eyeroll towards people who don't know anything about the cultural subjects they're interested in.

GoneCrazyResurrected
Tuah
Professor Alcoholic

Yeah, LD.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
GhostlyMark
this reminds me of this hello kitty song people kept bitching about

people who preach culture appropriation need a good fist to the jaw and a 4 man stomping

well, I've already had that, so I guess my debt is paid. it still didn't stop me from continuing my stance on it.
Tuah
Funny how nobody complains about the Great Taika, when Japan literally copied everything they saw China doing, but with their own twist to it. And ignoring parts they didn't like, like footbinding. And I never see anything more about ganguro girls than eyerolling. Also funny how people said Filthy Frank's Harlem Shake video was another example of whites appropriating black culture, when everything visible in the entire room was pretty goddamn Asian. Including Frank himself.

The most this subject should ever amount to is perhaps an eyeroll towards people who don't know anything about the cultural subjects they're interested in.

GoneCrazyResurrected
Tuah
Professor Alcoholic

Yeah, LD.

lol

I am influenced by that individual to have my avatar wear the Native American hat. I am obviously an evil white imperialist, how dare I wear Native American clothing!

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
disney butts
Wearing an item that has significant cultural or religious ties (ex: a Native American chief headdress or bindis) for 'funsies' or to look cute, don't. You look stupid and it reduces the significance of the item to just an accessory.

Eating other culture's food, having dreadlocks when you're not a POC, using chopsticks in Asian restaurants, wearing 'Aztec' or 'tribal' prints, or having tattoos from another culture is not something to get pissed about. Most of us live in America, a melting pot of cultures. Cultures borrow from each other all the time.

But non-Hindus need to seriously stop with the bindis. My eyes roll out of my head when I see a white boho girl with a bindi.

I feel like your position is inconsistent, and, like alot of people's responses here, uninformed about what cultural appropriation really is and why it's such an offensive practice. earlier, I quoted the OP with my response, in which I linked some educational material. I can show it to you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff