Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
Sheldon Shiraki sits at the bar in the trendy Fritti restaurant in Atlanta, happily sipping an ice cold cocktail.

Asked how many drinks it would take for the government to consider him a "heavy drinker," he laughs.

"I don't know -- maybe 25 to 30 drinks," Shiraki says.

"A month?" I ask.

"A week," Shiraki says with a smile.

"Let me do the math," his friend Pamela Gjerde says from the next bar stool over. A local, she calls the bartender by name and says she will sip a glass of white wine a couple days a week. For a woman to be considered a "heavy drinker" she thinks she'd have to have 15 to 20 drinks weekly.

They both looked shocked to learn they seriously overestimated the number.

Women are considered "heavy drinkers" if they have eight or more drinks a week, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Men can have 14. At 15, you, my friend, are a "heavy drinker" in the eyes of the CDC.

One in 10 deaths among adults between the ages of 20 and 64 are due to excessive alcohol consumption, the CDC says in a report released Wednesday. That means some 88,000 people die a year as a result of drinking too much. The majority of those are men -- about 70%.

Do you consider yourself a light, moderate or heavy drinker? Health agencies have these definitions to help you understand when your drinking may become a health problem.

The definition is different for women because women's bodies are typically smaller than men's. They also metabolize less alcohol in the stomach, meaning more ends up in their blood stream.

A standard "drink," by the way, is not that big frosty mug or that giant Hurricane glass you kept from Mardi Gras. The CDC says a drink is 12 ounces of beer (5% alcohol content), 8 ounces of malt liquor (7% alcohol content), 5 ounces of wine (12% alcohol content), or 1.5 ounces of 80-proof (40% alcohol content) distilled spirits or liquor -- the fancy term for gin, rum, vodka, whiskey etc.

Are you a heavy drinker? You'd be surprised

Liberal Friend

I'm not a heavy drinker. It's been months since I've had a glass of red wine. So, women are considered "heavy drinkers" if they have 8 or more drinks? Well, I guess women can thank the calendar there's only 7 days in a week and not 8.

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
Given that one shot puts me under the table and I don't actually drink all that often anyway, I'm safe.

Beloved Lunatic

How do you feel about this? Do you think what the CDC states is true? Because, I've seen people drink 6-8 drinks in one night... If they do that 1 more time that week, they're a heavy drinker? I know a man, obviously an alcoholic, but he drinks 25-40 beers a day all week long.I don't know, just, what do you think about it?

15,850 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
one beer a night for me

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I REALLY need to show this to my mom. She doesn't think she has a problem but she goes through a five liter box of wine a week. That's about 42 4oz wine drinks according to this list...

Wintry Dragon

I think I saw something like this before. I thought this list was a little stricter.

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
I'm definitely not a heavy drinker. The last time I drank anything was 2 weeks ago at a graduation dinner, and I only had one drink. Before that, I hadn't had a drink in months.

Hilarious Raider

Even if 25-30 drinks was the limit for “heavy drinking” I would still be a heavy drinker. lol

Invisible Explorer

7,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Member 100
  • Market Browser 100
I might manage one or two drinks a week. I'll rest easier knowing the CDC looks at me favorably.

Friendly Explorer

What I learned in my nutrition class is that moderate drinking is defined as 1 drink per day for women and 2 drinks per day for men. So I suppose that this definition of heavy drinking fits right in. Anyway, I drink maybe once a week and it's usually just one drink. I might have a couple at a social event or concert & that's about it. Just don't see the huge deal.

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
This is not suprising, people heavily underestimate the amount of damage booze does to one.
15 a week? Hell, a lot of people do that in one night. I certainly do. 15 beers really isn't too much if you got a good tolerance. I'm assuming any alcoholic drink counts yes? Not just cocktails and hard liquor.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I would have thought getting drunkk per session would have been involved but I dunno.

I only rarely have a drink and usually just with dinner.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
So does that mean I'm lucky to be alive? I used to party hard, now I rarely drink...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff