Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Lunatic

Hello there, webcomic artists, writers and creators !

My name is Blu, and I am reaching out to you because my friend and I are turning a long-term project of ours into a webcomic. Unfortunately, neither of us can draw. My friend has found a potentially interested artist, but since my we cannot provide help beyond detailed descriptions, he wants some artists to help him create the visual foundation of the comic (concept art, character design, background design, etc).

So my question is this: Where is the best place to find artists willing to collaborate? Is it here on this forum? Are there deviant are communities that you would recommend?

For those of you viewing this thread who are artists , how much work goes into the initial concept art for a webcomic? For a comic that would have a more detailed art style (perhaps resembling that of a manga) did you need help? And of course, would you be interested in possibly getting on board with this? Our plot idea is of the action/sci-fi genre and I would love to explain it in more detail to anyone that might be interested in joining our team.

tldr: My friend and I are writing a webcomic and need to find artists. Where are the best places to look, what are the best ways to approach people?

Distinct Prophet

The best way is usually to offer payment. If you're doing so, your chances of finding someone are infinitely better. If you are not offering payment, you need to make a compelling argument of your story and characters and get an artist interested through description alone.

I believe there is a forum for jobs on DA, and I think there's a thread in the smackjeeves forums for finding artists and writers.

There might be artists here, but most everyone is either adult and busy with their own projects, or really young and will probably flake out on you.

Valiant Victory

19,500 Points
  • Alchemy Level 6 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Timid 100
x-red as S C A R L E T
Hello there, webcomic artists, writers and creators !

My name is Blu, and I am reaching out to you because my friend and I are turning a long-term project of ours into a webcomic. Unfortunately, neither of us can draw. My friend has found a potentially interested artist, but since my we cannot provide help beyond detailed descriptions, he wants some artists to help him create the visual foundation of the comic (concept art, character design, background design, etc).

So my question is this: Where is the best place to find artists willing to collaborate? Is it here on this forum? Are there deviant are communities that you would recommend?

For those of you viewing this thread who are artists , how much work goes into the initial concept art for a webcomic? For a comic that would have a more detailed art style (perhaps resembling that of a manga) did you need help? And of course, would you be interested in possibly getting on board with this? Our plot idea is of the action/sci-fi genre and I would love to explain it in more detail to anyone that might be interested in joining our team.

tldr: My friend and I are writing a webcomic and need to find artists. Where are the best places to look, what are the best ways to approach people?

As ninniku said, offer payment. Even if it's not a "salary", you could agree on a % of the profits, if you plan on advertising on the site, or something along those lines. Look for freelance websites (I work on oDesk for example).
Otherwise you should definitely post the outline of the story, and maybe examples of what you'd like the style to be (as well as requesting samples yourself). You should also specify what the deadlines would be, so people know what they're getting into wink

Sweet Singing

x-red as S C A R L E T
♥ ♥ . . .

I've seen some threads with writers looking for artists and artists looking for writers here on gaia, but lets face it- the comic creators forum is kinda slow c;

On dA, there are 2 forums where you can find interested artists- job offers and projects. In job offers you have to offer the payment, but you can find really amazing artists there. Just you have to be ready to pay over 20$ a page (this is the average minimum from what I've seen). In project forum you can find people that will draw for you without you having to pay, so you could give it a try there c:

As for how much work goes into the concept art, i'd say it depends on the comics and how much the artist 'feel' the story and characters. Sometimes you just know how the character is supposed to look like, his/her expressions and so on, and it goes quickly. But thinking of designs for X main characters + Y side characters and drawing ref sheets for them all takes really a lot of time and work c;

. . . ♥ ♥

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
Depends on whether or not you can pay them (even some artists will take gaia gold) or DA pts

I do my comics solo(art wise at least, typically write them myself too) so that depends on your individual artist, as well as whether or not you want a team of artists or just one artist

honestly, if you were compensating the artist and they wanted to bring on co-artists I would leave that compensation up to your artist (if they require additional help I mean) since you are contracting just one artist. if that makes sense....

also it all depends on your seriousness, for paid jobs you can go to digitalwebbing.com/talentsearch <-- or just talent, or on DA in ther job forum, but if you are beginning and doing this for fun you will have a completely different pool of which to choose your artists. (for free are usually beginning artists or no rep artists who want experience) youre likely to find better artists if you pay.

good luck!

Wealthy Genius

6,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
I'll do it free check out my old art work here : http://killersis.deviantart.com/
just wanna help an practice

Shadowy Phantom

x-red as S C A R L E T

Thought I'd chime in about this part:
If an artist needs someone else to do the concept art for them, I'd be wary about their skill level. There is no way a concept artist can foresee every single design that the comic might need (this is most often a failure on the part of management though, not the concept artist's fault), and the concept artist cannot anticipate the way their designs will translate into the artist's style and how they'll work together on the page once recreated in that style.
Big companies often have separate concept artists, but that is for two-part reason:
1. they often want those concept artists specifically because of the styles they can develop
2. their comic artists, animators, etc are skilled at replicating those styles. When it is the artist's individual style that is desired, then they will often be put in charge of the concept art as well, if time permits.

If your artist is in this for the experience and not money, then they should take this opportunity to expand their skillset and learn to design things. If they're unwilling to learn such a relevant and important skill, then you're likely dealing with someone who is flaky.

As for the amount of concept art required: It depends on the comic and the artist. Sometimes it's fine to make things up on the spot, sometimes it's best to get everything visualised ahead of time.
I don't do a lot of concept art for my own projects. I like to get my main character designs down ahead of time, and I like to make some mood pieces to remind myself what I'm aiming for. I also often make some notes on non-obvious, easy-to-forget details, like how a fantasy culture might make their buildings or clothes, so that I can keep those things consistent in my future designs. Beyond that, I prefer to design things as I need them, usually after I've thumbnailed the comic in question, so that I can design things in a way that'll work well within the comic.

In what I've observed of other comic artists, the more time they spend in preproduction, the less work they'll get done on the comic before giving up xP This is true for writers as well as artists. It's good to have a solid direction before jumping in, but it's just as important to actually jump in and not spend an eternity putting together a roadmap.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff