Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fused Astronomer

Yeah yeah, read the first books or whatever. I tried reading the first one, and while different it just can't hold my attention because I know what happens.

That being said, can I just jump into the fourth book now and be okay? Or should I at least read book 3 since I know that's when the show and the books kind of went different ways

5,450 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Gggggg-- no you can't

Certain characters disappear and go "chapter'less" for certain books- Which they are not doing for the show- so its tricky.

And hbo has quite a few plot deviations that don't fall in line with events in the book.
(The first season was pretty damn to the T on the book, the Second was a tad different but still followed, the third season vs the third book is where the most is either skipped or changed)

You could easily read the 3rd book, and skim over whats reflected in the show and take in all the juicy plot points and character perceptions you missed out on in the shows season.
I can't say you wouldn't hit a spoiler or anything confusing- but nothing devastating to the plot.

Def do a detailed review of the third book, then I'd say you're all clear to read the 4th.
Not really, honestly.

I love A Song of Ice and Fire, but the fourth and fifth books aren't organized that well, and there isn't as much going on with them. Mind you, almost everything in the last two seasons of the show was content from the third book, with sprinkles of content from the next two. Besides, the third book has a ton of stuff that wasn't shown in the show, and would otherwise confuse a reader going straight into the fourth book. For example, Brienne's story ends quite differently in the books than on the show.

If I were you, I would read the third book then the fourth and fifth. But even then, you might as well read from the beginning. The fourth and fifth books are very slow and you won't find them enjoyable if you weren't drawn in by the previous installments.

5,450 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Tuken
Not really, honestly.

I love A Song of Ice and Fire, but the fourth and fifth books aren't organized that well, and there isn't as much going on with them. Mind you, almost everything in the last two seasons of the show was content from the third book, with sprinkles of content from the next two. Besides, the third book has a ton of stuff that wasn't shown in the show, and would otherwise confuse a reader going straight into the fourth book. For example, Brienne's story ends quite differently in the books than on the show.

If I were you, I would read the third book then the fourth and fifth. But even then, you might as well read from the beginning. The fourth and fifth books are very slow and you won't find them enjoyable if you weren't drawn in by the previous installments.

He is right about the passe of the books. Since all the chapters are following specific characters- Readers will naturally be more absorbed and interested in some plot points while other parts of the book will fail at grabbing your attention till later.

Like really whenever I got to a Catelyn chapter I was like "******** this b***h" and I never paid much attention. You realize stuff later and end up skipping back through chapters as more information gets revealed through other characters in the book.
It forces you to get more invested in detested characters- and in a really funny way~ I gotta say
Still hated her chapters- I WAS SO HAPPY WHEN SHE DIED

Golden Prophet

Glad that I came across this thread.
Will definitely take all opinions into consideration. 4laugh

Beloved Inquisitor

you might as well not read the books if yu aren't going to read in order. it's really different from the show.

Opinionated Combatant

10,275 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Battle: KO 200
Read book 3. This isn't harry potter where you can just start on basically any book (except the 7th) and have each one start a separate story.

Feline Bookworm

S H l N l N
you might as well not read the books if yu aren't going to read in order. it's really different from the show.
User Image

This. ^^

sille_sammy's Spouse

Dapper Gekko

8,700 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Person of Interest 200
The books are also alot more detailed so there will be things you're confused about. I started reading the books while watching the first season and I was fine because at the end of it all there are things you don't know are going to happen!

Newbie Noob

350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
The books are SO good though! They are ALL worth a read! And yes, skipping the first 3 books will leave you confused.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff