Welcome to Gaia! ::

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
INTRO:

I've always been the fool out there who gives out a large amount of my personal information on the Internet. Y'all know that I'm in the Air Force and stuff like that. I'm in my mid 20s, well I'm not sure how old 23 yrs old is. My salary is $41,500 dollars a year. And who else has a flat screen TV, and an 1800 dollar gaming computer and a 2015 Subaru Impreza WRX STI? I'm quite unique, and that word UNIQUE is why it is exceedingly difficult to hide your identity online.

BECOMING AWARE:

Ask yourselves the question, who are you trying to hide from? Hackers, your ISP, the Government, big corporations, your bosses, girlfriends, boyfriends, husbands and wives. And that's what you need to ask yourself when you are striving to hide from someone on the Internet. People say, oh I have nothing to hide. So you don't do you? You have nothing to hide? At the very least passwords to bank accounts, credit card transactions, eBay; REMEMBER those recent hacks on eBay.

ABOUT MYSELF:

I'm not saying that I'm the best at protecting my privacy online, but I'd say that I'm somewhat knowledgeable. So who don't I want seeing my information? Well, you guessed it: HACKERS. I could careless if the Government or even an average person looks thru my files. Oh well, I've got nothing to hide, but on an honest note I don't want the average person seeing my credit card information either. So they see what purchases I made on Amazon.com, big deal, food supplements and video games.........but not passwords and information.

METHODS AND STEPS TO TAKE TO PROTECT INTERNET PRIVACY:

Let's start with public internet at McDonald's or internet on your router; I'd say is the easiest way to get your personal information and see what you're doing online. Someone can hack into your router and intercept what you are doing online, when, where, credit card information, etc. So whoever is on your router, roommates, family members, husbands or wives. Or even at McDonald's which are hackers, and people trying to steal other personal information. Be aware of this stuff. The best way to protect yourself from this type of stuff is of course the basics like an encrypted router running a 256-bit encryption.........well that was easy. Not so fast.....like I said people who have access to the network, friends, family, can still see what you're doing online. So the best way to really get some serious privacy is to get a VPN....Virtual Private Network.

WHAT IS A VPN?:

It's a network that you can connect to that encrypts the actual data from your computer, from your computer....it gets encrypted. Then the data gets sent to the VPN which let's say is all the way in Europe; Russia for example. So that data is encrypted along all those routes. So let's see here, from your PC to router, from your router to modem, from your modem to ISP, from ISP to tier 3 gateway, all the way to a private VPN Russian server. It gets unencrypted there and goes to the source website which is,,,,yes that's right.......Google or Amazon. Amazon sends a message back and it's gets encrypted thru the VPN server back to your computer which unecrypts the package so you can read it on your web browser.

Already you're being protected from your ISP, everyone from the router, and all network traffic to your VPN. On the other side someone trying to trace your IP address or location. Untraceable. Unless your VPN gives your location everything will say that it's coming from your Russian VPN server. Amazon, Google, which ever website you visit says that all your data is coming from that source. Pretty kool right?

DNS LEAKING:

More to come on that. But even if you use a VPN make sure that your DNS doesn't leak or your real information can get out.

VIRUSES, HACKING, and MALWARE:

Not every anti-virus can stop a virus. I'd say the basic way to keep a virus that gets thru your system is to put up a firewall. Zonealarms, Windows Firewall, firewalls from various companies. Get a very very good firewall. This way you can block outgoing connections. A virus steals your data, but it cannot send it out if your firewall blocks foreign outgoing connections. As far as incoming connections, the same thing, block all foreign incoming connections so that the hackers cannot get into your system.

TRUECRYPT:

If hackers manage to get in, well, they can't see anything when you use TrueCrypt to encrypt your whole hard drive. And also encrypt your paging file too you can do that with Windows by typing in some commands that'll encyrpt your paging file. But TrueCrypt is awesome because if hackers get into your computer there's nothing they can see cause it's all encrypted. It's like....what kinda computer is this.........lol.
Xenosaiyan
So who don't I want seeing my information? Well, you guessed it: HACKERS. I could careless if the Government or even an average person looks thru my files. Oh well, I've got nothing to hide

First of all, you do realize agencies like the NSA and GCHQ are full of ...... HACKERS, right? You realize they are hacking on a global scale with no sense of reservation at all, right?

Aside from that, it doesn't matter that you don't care if the government or "average" people invade your privacy. No one has the right to invade your privacy, no one has the right to invade mine, and you don't have the right through your ambivalence to enable violating my or anyone else's right to privacy. Why do you even care about anonymity when you don't care if the government can spy on you?

You admittedly work for the government, you may be paid to post here.

Xenosaiyan
but on an honest note I don't want the average person seeing my credit card information either. So they see what purchases I made on Amazon.com, big deal, food supplements and video games.........but not passwords and information.

Too bad. Do you know why? Because the government you work for has been systematically weakening encryption protocols and implementations for over a decade. Internet security has been weakened by the NSA, so you and everyone else who relies on security implementations on the internet is more vulnerable to being exploited. Yay government! Be sure to salute your commanding officer next time you see him.
On a real level, since you mention hackers, probably the best strategy would be this:

Travel to somewhere far away from your home location. Find an open wifi in a residential area, or hack a WLAN if necessary, and run Tails off of a DVD ROM. It's read only, so no malware or anything can write to your system.
https://www.torproject.org/about/overview.html.en
https://tails.boum.org/

Now you can browse the web and safely be anonymous. Email anonymity is another question altogether though, and new protocols are needed with privacy a main focus.

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

Or you can just use aviator browser...
- lI Roxas Il -

If a browser exploit is run and an attacker is able to run code on your machine, you're owned, because they can write changes to your system. Running your entire operating system from ROM is necessary to mitigate this attack surface, that way no malicious code can make any changes to your operating system. You restart your computer and boot back in to Tails, it's just a brand new instance basically.

If you're trying to browse the internet anonymously, and you unknowingly just get pwned by the feds or NSA or something, and you're not running your operating system from ROM, you're ********. Now everything you do is known. Running from ROM, whatever code that ran last time you were web browsing or whatever doesn't matter, it couldn't make changes to the ROM, so the next time you run that operating system, it won't be exploited, it will be clean.

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

WhiteHatCat
- lI Roxas Il -

If a browser exploit is run and an attacker is able to run code on your machine, you're owned, because they can write changes to your system. Running your entire operating system from ROM is necessary to mitigate this attack surface, that way no malicious code can make any changes to your operating system. You restart your computer and boot back in to Tails, it's just a brand new instance basically.

If you're trying to browse the internet anonymously, and you unknowingly just get pwned by the feds or NSA or something, and you're not running your operating system from ROM, you're ********. Now everything you do is known. Running from ROM, whatever code that ran last time you were web browsing or whatever doesn't matter, it couldn't make changes to the ROM.

i'm talking about a private browser, not cookies and other crap. Aviator browser is free. Has a firewall, Blocks ALL ads, trackers, pop ups, and Blocks cookies. If you use the browser i highly doubt that anything will get in your computer, As it prompts you when something does.

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
WhiteHatCat
On a real level, since you mention hackers, probably the best strategy would be this:

Travel to somewhere far away from your home location. Find an open wifi in a residential area, or hack a WLAN if necessary, and run Tails off of a DVD ROM. It's read only, so no malware or anything can write to your system.

Now you can browse the web and safely be anonymous. Email anonymity is another question altogether though, and new protocols are needed with privacy a main focus.

I hear the VPNs are much more secure than ToR and much faster.

Anxious Noob

9,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
the best thing to do would be is to steal someone else IP address. That's the best way to remain anonymous but that's just a sick way tho smile dramallama

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Xenosaiyan

Until the network is broken wide open.

teiya-chan
the best thing to do would be is to steal someone else IP address. That's the best way to remain anonymous but that's just a sick way tho smile dramallama

You can't really steal an IP address since most networks use DCHP and thus the addresses allocate dynamically. One day your address may be 125.78.4.1 and the next it could be 125.64.4.9

You can spoof one but that's a whole different thing altogether.
- lI Roxas Il -
WhiteHatCat
- lI Roxas Il -

If you're trying to browse the internet anonymously, and you unknowingly just get pwned by the feds or NSA or something, and you're not running your operating system from ROM, you're ********. Now everything you do is known. Running from ROM, whatever code that ran last time you were web browsing or whatever doesn't matter, it couldn't make changes to the ROM.

i'm talking about a private browser, not cookies and other crap. Aviator browser is free. Has a firewall, Blocks ALL ads, trackers, pop ups, and Blocks cookies. If you use the browser i highly doubt that anything will get in your computer, As it prompts you when something does.

Browsers can be exploited, even very secure browsers. You cannot prevent a team of exploit developers from spending weeks or months working on a new exploit.
Xenosaiyan
WhiteHatCat

You have to trust the operator of the VPN to not collect your personal data, and to not turn it over to third parties. The VPN operator will also know everything you do without encryption on the internet. With Tor, there is no central operator, and your traffic is anonymized.
teiya-chan

You can't steal someone's IP address, but you can use someone else's if you hack their wireless network. Lots of people don't even use any minimal security at all, and leave their wireless open for anyone to use, so you wouldn't even have to hack their network to use it.

Anxious Noob

9,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
WhiteHatCat
teiya-chan

You can't steal someone's IP address, but you can use someone else's if you hack their wireless network. Lots of people don't even use any minimal security at all, and leave their wireless open for anyone to use, so you wouldn't even have to hack their network to use it.

you can steal/use somone else' IP 3nodding . I've done it many times during work. Usually they block facebook in our network so we use other departments IP address. hahaha tho, the original bearer of the IP add can't use his/her computer. ninja sweatdrop dramallama
teiya-chan
WhiteHatCat
teiya-chan

you can steal/use somone else' IP 3nodding . I've done it many times during work. Usually they block facebook in our network so we use other departments IP address. hahaha tho, the original bearer of the IP add can't use his/her computer. ninja sweatdrop dramallama

Yeah nah... IP addresses aren't set in stone, changing them (espically your internal one) is trivial
Yes you can easily change your internal IP address. I was referring to your external IP address, which is what's relevant when trying to browse the internet anonymously.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff