Other (do tell!) 0.026315789473684 2.6% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 114 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 >

Dapper Lunatic

10,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Hobbits & the Nazgul are my favourites. I always wanted to know more about the Nazgul, wish Tolkien wrote more on them.

Snack

BB,

I believe you find out more about their origins in the Simarilion.

Lonely Fatcat

Oh MAN one if the things that always irked me when reading the books and watching the movies were the ORCS. WHY. DIDN'T. ANYBODY. TALK. ABOUT. THE. ORCS.
All the other races in Middle Earth were portrayed with so much realism it was so great.

Elves were considered the fairest and smartest and they were by far the most skilled in combat, so of course they grew into a superiority complex and were written as these racist superior ******** who knew anything and everything and had two beautiful kingdoms like Imlildras and Lothlorien.

When dwarves where made, they were considered mistakes and had to be hidden away until the coming of for the firstborn and the second born, and so they were always considered a species that was a mistake, a failure to replicate the work of Illuvatar and so they squirreled themselves away in mountains kept their culture as secret.

Hobbits and men, their cultures show the some kind of forethought and planning but orcs?

Yea, ******** 'em. They're just angry and gross lol
Nevermind that that Sauron had given the task of making Barad-dur to orcs who constructed a tower that was somewhere around four-thousand feet tall, as well as all the outlying gates and fortresses like Morannon. The understanding of architecture that would have been needed was-
haha no, it was magic. Orcs are just angry and gross lmao

Or the fact that those, ladders they used at helm's deep, and the catapults and troll-saddles and rolling towers and giant WOLF-SHAPED METAL RAMS that they used at Minas Tirith were new inventions never seen or even conceived in thought by any other race because the likes of elves and hobbits were too concerned with their tra-la-la-lallying and trees and farms to think of maybe using their unburdened-by-starvation-and-the-constand-emminence-of-war minds to maybe, come up with something useful?

Or the fact that Sarumon's Orcs in Isengard had come up with a way to MASS-PRODUCE armor and weaponry for hundreds of thousands of orcs, which is at a level unforeseen by any written race in Arda, EVEN DWARVES who were supposed to be masters of the forges. Yea, elves and dwarves focus more on craftsmanship, but their stocks of weapons came from hundreds of years of hoarding old swords and axes while ORCS HAD BEEN ABLE TO MATCH THAT AMOUNT OF WEAPONS AND DOUBLE IN IN A FRACTION OF THE TIME

Im irked by this! Just within the frame of the Lord of the Rings books, Orcs have been shown to pull off these amazing feats that no other race in that world had done, but they are constantly CONSTANTLY shown as being
A) so weak in battle that you could twist a n****e and they'd loose an arm
B) so stupid that if you kicked one, they'd all fight until half the army was dead or
C) so savage that they EAT eachother

NONE. OF. THESE. THINGS. ADD. UP. The writing hints towards a society that has begun the first industrial revolution this world has seen, but constantly characterizes them as these witless savages that ******** their mothers and s**t in their own soup. IN FACT, ORC SOCIETY AND CULTURE IS SO VAGUE THAT WE DON'T EVEN KNOW IF ORCS AND GOBLINS ARE A DIFFERENT SPECIES.

You know, the whole thing in the Lord of the Rings where the fourth age marks the beginning of the age of men because they're the preferred race of Illuvatar gifted with death and short life so that they might change the world is such utter bullshit
We don't know what an orc's lifespan is or even if they're immortal or not, but it dosent even matter. Illuvatar made men in such a way that their separateness from nature and short lives would make them the race of change and revolution but they didnt do s**t about ANYTHING until the fellowship came along. They just kind of kept nudging Mordor back, they never tried to stop it. They didn't try to change anything.
ORCS MEET THE MAIN CRITERIA THAT ILLUVATAR SET FOR THE PREFERRED RACE AND ACCOMPLISHED WAY MORE THAN MEN EVER DID but nah they're just dumb lol
f** orcs dey gross

Skilled Hunter

Snack

I always hoped that the Tolkien fandom would fill in the gaps left by the author but there's so little source material that few are up to the challenge.

Also, a lot of fans are just there for the pretty elves.

Bluh!

Snack

so this was posted on tumblr:

Quote:
so a lot of fantasy settings do the thing where there’s one or two or maybe three human societies, all based on European cultures unless they’re bad guys, and then the non-human cultures are all based on non-European cultures, like orcs will be loosely based on Mongols and there’ll be an animal race with superficial Native American trappings. And for many reasons this can get really annoying.

But what if we turn it around? There’s an awful lot to explore if we stick a different angle on it. I want to see a thing where the human kingdoms are based on, say, imperial Mali around the time of Mansa Musa and the Mughal empire, and then maybe the orcs are based on pre-Roman Gaul, and the marauding beastfolk raiders look like Polish winged hussars, and your secretive-and-xenophobic but wise-and-spiritual elves or whatever are based on all the most alien and unfamiliar bits of medieval Catholicism.

and the immediate reaction from everyone (much to my delight) was:

Quote:
can you even ******** imagine how insufferable a bunch of catholic elves would be

I'M NOT ALONE!

Magical Explorer

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Brandisher 100
Skadi Sundermount
so this was posted on tumblr:

Quote:
so a lot of fantasy settings do the thing where there’s one or two or maybe three human societies, all based on European cultures unless they’re bad guys, and then the non-human cultures are all based on non-European cultures, like orcs will be loosely based on Mongols and there’ll be an animal race with superficial Native American trappings. And for many reasons this can get really annoying.

But what if we turn it around? There’s an awful lot to explore if we stick a different angle on it. I want to see a thing where the human kingdoms are based on, say, imperial Mali around the time of Mansa Musa and the Mughal empire, and then maybe the orcs are based on pre-Roman Gaul, and the marauding beastfolk raiders look like Polish winged hussars, and your secretive-and-xenophobic but wise-and-spiritual elves or whatever are based on all the most alien and unfamiliar bits of medieval Catholicism.

and the immediate reaction from everyone (much to my delight) was:

Quote:
can you even ******** imagine how insufferable a bunch of catholic elves would be

I'M NOT ALONE!

THIS!!!!!

Snack

Trust Your Story

THIS!!!!!

lol its funny because elves are assholes...
All that aside, I do LOVE subversion fantasy (that is actually subversive and not just some minor change that doesn't actually impact the story any).

Magical Explorer

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Brandisher 100

Magical Explorer

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Brandisher 100

Snack

give thanks for Shadow of Mordor and its upcoming sequel Shadow of War! Only one elf in the entire game and he's already DEAD and he's an a*****e!

BLESS!

Feral Wolf

12,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Member 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
I'm actually not too sick of the Elves, what I am kind of sick of is that everybody and their mother uses Tolkien's Elves for their stories. I know he was the one who basically created the Elves we know, before they were like Santa-type Elves, until he made his own version of them. Also, it is implied the Elves are the most ancient of middle Earth species by age and race, so it makes some since they would be glorified. I do want to know about his other species, though, because I never could get how they all fit together, and how they were created like Orcs.

Snack

Half-breed Vampire Wolf
I'm actually not too sick of the Elves, what I am kind of sick of is that everybody and their mother uses Tolkien's Elves for their stories. I know he was the one who basically created the Elves we know, before they were like Santa-type Elves, until he made his own version of them. Also, it is implied the Elves are the most ancient of middle Earth species by age and race, so it makes some since they would be glorified. I do want to know about his other species, though, because I never could get how they all fit together, and how they were created like Orcs.

Well Orcs were made from Elves by Melkor (the original Dark Lord before Sauron) using dark magic (vague) so we know that much at least. And we know that the Uruk-hai and Oolog-hai are basically super soldier clones made using magical gene splicing. but where the goblins, who are also under the umbrella term of Orc, or the trolls come from is a mystery.
maybe goblins are just orcs who evolved to be smaller and more subterranean but then what about trolls? just really BIG orcs? or an entirely different species?

so many questions!

Feral Wolf

12,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Member 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Skadi Sundermount
Half-breed Vampire Wolf

Well Orcs were made from Elves by Melkor (the original Dark Lord before Sauron) using dark magic (vague) so we know that much at least. And we know that the Uruk-hai and Oolog-hai are basically super soldier clones made using magical gene splicing. but where the goblins, who are also under the umbrella term of Orc, or the trolls come from is a mystery.
maybe goblins are just orcs who evolved to be smaller and more subterranean but then what about trolls? just really BIG orcs? or an entirely different species?

so many questions!

It's been a really long time since I read the books, but we hear so much about Elves, Humans, Hobbits, and Dwarfs, but no really anything of the Orcs, they never really go into any detail of the enemies. We know close to nothing of the creatures outside of the main group.

Snack

Half-breed Vampire Wolf

It's been a really long time since I read the books, but we hear so much about Elves, Humans, Hobbits, and Dwarfs, but no really anything of the Orcs, they never really go into any detail of the enemies. We know close to nothing of the creatures outside of the main group.

exactly! that was one of the biggest flaws of the book for me. at first, the vagueness seemed ominous and added to tension. but then as the story continues, you never really learn anything about the enemy, and they become less threatening and foreboding or more just kind of annoying. because everyone talks about how terrible the enemy is and how awful the consequences will be. but we never really given a cause to see how or why. for the most part, it just feels almost like a pointless conflict with an undefined enemy.

and its all because they never really develop much about their bad guys, besides stating over and over again that they are bad guys.

there are a few instances were we get to meet some of the orcs but then its over too quickly and leaves you with questions and a thirst for more.

and then the rest...really is just a bunch of walking and talking, if one wishes to be ungenerous about it. and im talking s**t about it right now, so I DO!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff