Welcome to Gaia! ::

I already know I have TMD. I've been in and out of oral surgeons and they did an MRI and it shows my joint is all the way out of its socket. I am just not in treatment right now because they ran out of things try right now except surgery, which I don't want. But everyday I take 8 ibuprofen and I still have pain in my jaw, neck, and around my ears. I sometimes have blurred vision and ringing in my ears. Also I have had constant pain in my neck every day for the past month and it hurts so bad. Is neck pain caused by TMD as well? It is just as bad as the jaw pain. I have been switching through painkillers and it doesn't help very much. Ibuprofen does it the best but there still is really bad neck pain. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can treat this pain?

Blessed Codger

Why don't you want surgery? This seems like a pretty serious problem...

Sparkly Fatcat

I'm no doctor, but based on what you wrote about the pain, blurred vision and everything else, I think surgery is the best option. Don't you want to go a day without having to take a bunch of painkillers? Good luck with everything. <3 Go see a doctor and see what they say.

Pliskin MD's Wife

Spoopy Bear

17,525 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Married 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500

You treat it by getting the surgery.
              Taking that much ibuprofen is terrible on your liver and kidneys.
              Give them a break, and give yourself a break, and get the surgery. User Image

User ImageUser Image
XXxxElectric_RainbowXXxx
I already know I have TMD. I've been in and out of oral surgeons and they did an MRI and it shows my joint is all the way out of its socket. I am just not in treatment right now because they ran out of things try right now except surgery, which I don't want. But everyday I take 8 ibuprofen and I still have pain in my jaw, neck, and around my ears. I sometimes have blurred vision and ringing in my ears. Also I have had constant pain in my neck every day for the past month and it hurts so bad. Is neck pain caused by TMD as well? It is just as bad as the jaw pain. I have been switching through painkillers and it doesn't help very much. Ibuprofen does it the best but there still is really bad neck pain. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can treat this pain?

I'm sorry to read that. TMD can be really, really bothersome. I think one of the most important things to figure out is what is causing the TMD. Did they figure it out? It could be anything from overworking the joint (by chewing gum FOR HOURS on end), or something more serious. If they figure out what's causing it, they may be able to treat it better. What was the diagnosis/prognosis if you know? Do they know the exact cause?

TMD can lead to referred pain to the neck, other areas of the head, even some of the teeth. Sometimes, dental splints and physical therapy (like with many other joints) may be indicated in some cases, but it depends on the exact cause of the TMD. It can be caused by one of many conditions, usually something like an fatigued muscle or trauma to the joint, which I believe are most common. Depending on the diagnosis, it could be treated with dental splints, physical therapy, muscle relaxants, antidepressants, anticonvusants, or surgery. Have you considered trying a cold compress? It might help with the neck or TMJ pain. Ask your doctor about using that.

One thing I would recommend, if no treatment is helping at all, try to get a referral to a neurologist, because pain can be an indication of a problem at the sight of pain (direct injury or arthritis), referred from another region (like the neck muscles, or the teeth), or (very rarely) a problem in the nervous system. I remember learning about a case of a young woman who had TMD and a toothache that was found out to have been caused by severe migraines. One condition that I believe may cause TMD as well as headaches, neck pain, ringing in the ears or hearing loss, and blurry vision is temporal arteritis. Temporal arteritis is an inflamation of the temporal artery, which feeds the ear, eye, and TMJ. It has a few other symptoms.

I hope that helped, and I hope you feel better soon. I've had TMD a few years ago, but it went away after some dental work, and it turned out that how my teeth occluded may have been putting some strain on my TMJ.
Kimyanji
XXxxElectric_RainbowXXxx

I'm sorry to read that. TMD can be really, really bothersome. I think one of the most important things to figure out is what is causing the TMD. Did they figure it out? It could be anything from overworking the joint (by chewing gum FOR HOURS on end), or something more serious. If they figure out what's causing it, they may be able to treat it better. What was the diagnosis/prognosis if you know? Do they know the exact cause?

TMD can lead to referred pain to the neck, other areas of the head, even some of the teeth. Sometimes, dental splints and physical therapy (like with many other joints) may be indicated in some cases, but it depends on the exact cause of the TMD. It can be caused by one of many conditions, usually something like an fatigued muscle or trauma to the joint, which I believe are most common. Depending on the diagnosis, it could be treated with dental splints, physical therapy, muscle relaxants, antidepressants, anticonvusants, or surgery. Have you considered trying a cold compress? It might help with the neck or TMJ pain. Ask your doctor about using that.

One thing I would recommend, if no treatment is helping at all, try to get a referral to a neurologist, because pain can be an indication of a problem at the sight of pain (direct injury or arthritis), referred from another region (like the neck muscles, or the teeth), or (very rarely) a problem in the nervous system. I remember learning about a case of a young woman who had TMD and a toothache that was found out to have been caused by severe migraines. One condition that I believe may cause TMD as well as headaches, neck pain, ringing in the ears or hearing loss, and blurry vision is temporal arteritis. Temporal arteritis is an inflamation of the temporal artery, which feeds the ear, eye, and TMJ. It has a few other symptoms.

I hope that helped, and I hope you feel better soon. I've had TMD a few years ago, but it went away after some dental work, and it turned out that how my teeth occluded may have been putting some strain on my TMJ.
I've tried hot and cold and I tried the night guard and splint. I didn't have any pain until I started using them. My oral surgeon thinks this is also caused by my severe overbite. He wants me to do the surgery where they move my bottom jaw forward. My bottom jaw is less developed than my top. And when I grow my bottom jaw grows downward instead of out. 6 years of braces and appliances still didn't fix my bite problem. So I got 2 jaw problems.

Spiritual Counselor

28,790 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Winged 100
XXxxElectric_RainbowXXxx

sad Sorry about the pain sad . But your body is trying to tell you something. If "covering" the pain isn't working, maybe that's because your jaw wants to work properly again. If it is out of the socket, it can't do its job properly.

I knew someone with shoulder and back pain. She couldn't figure it out. Then I noticed her sitting, slouched over in a chair ...
Imagine an inner dialogue: SPINE: She's not letting us do our job! We are her support! = back pain
SHOULDER MUSCLES: She's making us do somebody else's job! = shoulder pain.

Simple solution: As soon as she started sitting straight up in the chair with back support, BOTH WENT AWAY.

Your jaw is trying to tell you it wants to be well and do its job correctly the way it is intended to. Covering up pain from other parts complaining of the imbalance caused by it because it can't do its job right, to me is not the best option. I know you don't want surgery, but putting it back into the socket where it belongs in alignment and balance is not only going to help your jaw, but more than likely help to heal and get rid of all the rest of the problems as well smile . Alot of those nerves are all connected in some way wink .

And to that end, I say blessings and be well, and all healing to you whatever your decision, for your highest and best good.
rainbowlady1
XXxxElectric_RainbowXXxx

sad Sorry about the pain sad . But your body is trying to tell you something. If "covering" the pain isn't working, maybe that's because your jaw wants to work properly again. If it is out of the socket, it can't do its job properly.

I knew someone with shoulder and back pain. She couldn't figure it out. Then I noticed her sitting, slouched over in a chair ...
Imagine an inner dialogue: SPINE: She's not letting us do our job! We are her support! = back pain

Simple solution: As soon as she started sitting straight up in the chair with back support, BOTH WENT AWAY.

Your jaw is trying to tell you it wants to be well and do its job correctly the way it is intended to. Covering up pain from other parts complaining of the imbalance caused by it because it can't do its job right, to me is not the best option. I know you don't want surgery, but putting it back into the socket where it belongs in alignment and balance is not only going to help your jaw, but more than likely help to heal and get rid of all the rest of the problems as well smile . Alot of those nerves are all connected in some way wink .

And to that end, I say blessings and be well, and all healing to you whatever your decision, for your highest and best good.
thank you for the great advice. I will definitely put what you said into consideration.

Spiritual Counselor

28,790 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Winged 100
XXxxElectric_RainbowXXxx
rainbowlady1
XXxxElectric_RainbowXXxx

thank you for the great advice. I will definitely put what you said into consideration.

OH and I almost forgot! My friend's sister Helen had a severe overbite, and had to have the jaw surgery to correct it. Before the surgery, she had basically no chin. It just sloped down. After the surgery, she had a chin! So at least cosmetically speaking, you might like the side effects of how for the first time, you will have a chin wink . That alone can help your outlook on things wink .

II Earl Grey II's Darling

User Image
::.DEFFY.::
❣keepin' default undies teh sex since 03'❣
||Last night, while I was sleeping, I dreamnt I held you in my arms. But when I woke dear, I was mistaken. So I hung my head and I cried...||

Oh! A friend of mine had that sugery done.... they got over it pretty fast, and aside from the long time without being able to use their mouth really it wasnt all that hard on them. Deffinetly better than the constant pain.
Since it really sounds like you have tried everything else... good luck! heart
User Image

-Kay, love you❤

Hellraiser

!d!ot Amer!ca

You treat it by getting the surgery.
              Taking that much ibuprofen is terrible on your liver and kidneys.
              Give them a break, and give yourself a break, and get the surgery. User Image

User ImageUser Image

Also too much ibuprofen or any pain killer may lose the effect if you take too many.
So I've heard
Either way, its bad for you
faretheewell
I remember talking to you before, about your fears about how jaw surgery would impact your singing. I told you about the experiences of my sister's friend who is a singer and has had jaw surgery. You incorrectly read the story I told as indicating you would be unable to sing for two years. This is not at all what I said, nor is it what this person experienced.

What she experienced was being unable to sing for 6 months. Then, over the past 2 years since then, she has had to work with additional tension in her jaw when she sings. To be clear on this: she still sings. She sings very well. She has been singing since right after that first 6 months. She is on track in her music degree in university. She must just be aware of that muscle tension in her jaw and be careful not to force that tension out, but to gently sing through it.

It is possible that over the first six months of recovery you could lose some range due to a lack of physical workout. If you let your body go, you will find that you must rebuild your musculature in your core to get your air support back. However, there are many breathing exercises and core workouts available to you that can keep most of that intact, even if you are unable to use your jaw for singing.

The thing with voice is that your body is your instrument and every single thing you do affects it. You are responsible for keeping your instrument in good working order.

If you think that what you are doing right now is better for your singing than jaw surgery, I am here to tell you that you are wrong. You are pumping drugs that do not belong in your system into yourself. The amount you are putting into yourself is not meant for constant use, and prolonged exposure is going to start damaging your organs, starting with your liver. These chemicals are going to start being stored in your body as the half-life of what you are taking drops below the speed of intake.

Since you are building up a tolerance for the pain medication, this is also going to push you to find new ways to dull the pain. This is going to increase the chemicals you put into your body. This will speed the damage to your organs, and will increase the buildup in your system.

Worst case scenario: you end up looking for more intense painkillers and fall into addiction to either morphine or codeine.

In addition, ibuprofen is a blood thinner. Assuming you are a bio-sex female (which is quite the assumption, I know) this means that the buildup in your system will cause you heavier periods and worse cramps. I notice a difference in my period if I take painkillers for even two or three days in a month.

Painkillers also impact brain function, especially if you start taking heavier ones. Since singing is very much a mental game, this means that painkillers are impacting your singing in ways that you may not even realize.

My sister, who has extensively studied the biological impact of different substances on the voice, goes completely clean for at least three weeks before a performance. No caffeine, no alcohol, extremely limited sugar, and absolutely no painkillers. They simply impact the voice too much for her to play around with.

You are not respecting or taking care of your instrument in this course of action. I do know a few ways you could manage pain differently, but they are very much meant to be temporary, a couple of weeks at the very most, and I will not suggest them knowing that you intend to use them long-term.

Last time we spoke you claimed to have decided against the surgery because of your singing and the risk to your voice. However, you are destroying your voice now. So I ask you again: is the risk of the surgery really any greater than the damage you are doing now?
I see your point. And honestly I have noticed changes in my voice and period since taking the pain killers, but I never though it was from pain killer. And I hate taking medication, especially everyday like I have been. I will definitely take what you said into consideration. I really wasn't aware of a lot of the stuff you just told me. Thank you

Excitable Counselor

XXxxElectric_RainbowXXxx
Kimyanji
XXxxElectric_RainbowXXxx

I've tried hot and cold and I tried the night guard and splint. I didn't have any pain until I started using them. My oral surgeon thinks this is also caused by my severe overbite. He wants me to do the surgery where they move my bottom jaw forward. My bottom jaw is less developed than my top. And when I grow my bottom jaw grows downward instead of out. 6 years of braces and appliances still didn't fix my bite problem. So I got 2 jaw problems.

I have TMJ, but nothing near the point that your disorder is at. If it makes you feel any better, though, one of my best friends had the surgery that your doctor wants to do. She doesn't regret it at all and is SO happy she did it. Yes, recovery is long and sucks and you'd be on mostly liquids while you heal (she last a fair amount of weight, but she wasn't too unhappy about that, lol), but your quality of life will improve exponentially. If this is what your surgeon thinks will help, and it's your last option, do it. My friend has never been happier, and all her symptoms have diminished to the point where they don't bother her. She's no longer on Gaia, but if you ever want to PM me with questions about the procedure, recovery, etc, I can get them answered for you!
Draug Heltikana
XXxxElectric_RainbowXXxx
Kimyanji
XXxxElectric_RainbowXXxx

I have TMJ, but nothing near the point that your disorder is at. If it makes you feel any better, though, one of my best friends had the surgery that your doctor wants to do. She doesn't regret it at all and is SO happy she did it. Yes, recovery is long and sucks and you'd be on mostly liquids while you heal (she last a fair amount of weight, but she wasn't too unhappy about that, lol), but your quality of life will improve exponentially. If this is what your surgeon thinks will help, and it's your last option, do it. My friend has never been happier, and all her symptoms have diminished to the point where they don't bother her. She's no longer on Gaia, but if you ever want to PM me with questions about the procedure, recovery, etc, I can get them answered for you!
do you know what the exact surgery she got was? Was it realigning just her jaw joint or was it realigning her whole jaw?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff