Welcome to Gaia! ::

so, do you work with the general public?
Yes, as a cosmetician at a local drug store
did you deal with any customer bs today or recently?
Not recently.
worst customers ever?
We have a policy where you have to leave high end products at the cosmetics counter while you finish shopping and pay for the products in cosmetics due to the high theft rate. But there are a lot of customers who take it personally and think that we are accusing them of theft or, if they're a visible minority, they think we are being prejudiced.
are you looking forward to the day you don't have to serve nasty people?
I'm going to school to become a nurse. I have 20+ years of dealing with nasty people.
Are you sure you weren't rude?

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Maybe she got the wrong impression?

Wheezing Phantom

17,900 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
I work in a grocery store and there is one customer who shops at my store who try's to feel me up. I'm forced to go hide in the dairy when she's shopping she's in her 50s and not really my type. My boss won't do anything about her because she spends alot of money at our store......

Magnetic Sex Symbol

11,500 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Survivor 150
"Have you ever heard of "customer is always right"?"

I wanted to punch that k**t.

Dangerous Kitten

Ya, I work with the public. I bring them food and beer in exchange for way too much money. I always deal with BS. People like to feel important. My job is pretty much to pretend that someone is the center of my universe for however long they occupy a seat in my section. It's cool though. When the green starts rolling in, you stop giving a ******** about how someone was a bit of an a** for an hour.

I don't want to stop. I ******** hate it sometimes, but it's like gambling. It's addictive. The money is ******** addictive. It makes you feel like a piece of s**t sometimes because you start equating your job performance with your tips ALWAYS, and your worth as an employee, but it doesn't really always work that way. It also makes me feel golden to walk out with $500. Like I'm a ******** money making machine.

I've worked customer service long enough to be able to convince myself that there's a ratio in favour of good people. There's some giant pricks who I never want to see again.. but for every one of those dudes, there's way more sweet and understanding folks who want to give me all their dough.
Some people are just impossible to please. Most bosses I've had usually give the employee the benefit of the doubt because they know some people are totally unreasonable.

I think the most ridiculous reaction I ever had was a woman who stormed out going on about the attitude I was apparently giving her. Granted, I was quite tired that day so I wasn't my normal chipper self, but she read WAY too much into my tone. She came and and said she was looking for a wine, I asked her which one and she gave the name of an Italian one. I asked what kind of wine it was because the sparkling wines and moscatos live in a different part of the store, and she just started yelling about how she didn't need my attitude and it was what I said it was "how I said it" (???) and just left. In hindesight I think she thought I was making fun of her because she sort of tripped over pronouncing the Italian but I tried to explain to her I asked because the wine could live in a different part of the store than the Italian wines. It was super ridic, my manager just rolled his eyes and was like "Don't worry, I'm sure she'll get into a car accident on her way home or something."

Recently we had another guy throw a pen at my very pregnant boss because his stupid coupon wasn't going through. And it wasn't even like she said "Sorry, we can't use this coupon," she was actively trying to override it and the guy just needed to keep his pants on.

There was also a woman who called in and asked us to pull a bunch of stuff for her, which we did. She called the store right before she came in and I confirmed it was all pulled and ready for pick up, she would just need to pay. She comes in and gets her panties in a twist because we're going to make her wait in line to pay (since it was a busy Saturday). Lady, you are not so special you get to jump to the front of the line.
I recently quit my job I have had for over two years as a restaurant manager and started working at McDonald's, and the atmosphere when it comes to the customers is very, very different. At Lorobi's, I had regular customers, knew them by name, knew their orders, and there was definitely a mutual respect there, because I was damn good at my job.
Here, it's more like, I can be as good at my job as I want, but if there's any little thing going on, in the kitchen, in the lobby, in the goddamn parking lot, the customers take it out on the nearest person to them, so if I'm on front line, they will rip my a**.
I also experienced customers legitimately yelling at me here, which I've never encountered before. I have no idea how to adequately deal with it.
My work issues are always between coworkers or bosses... Usually as a result of my not wanting to join cliches and since I work in childcare if you don't team up your an easy target or whatever.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Ya meet some right nasty types whorin I can tell ya
but I spose half that job is dealin wi it cause it aint bout what you want

sides theres rules most times
lotta pimps wont even let ya leave any marks Im told let alone like do proper injury

an some of em wont even LET ya get violent
but they the expensive whores yknow
classy types who sometimes aint even got a pimp

but it aint like you can be fired from that job right
worst can happen is you jus get downgraded to bein a ******** but least you still got a place to sleep an food to eat

s the way the whole world works right
long as you useful you gonna be aight

Dangerous Kitten

-Sniffle-Doodle-
My work issues are always between coworkers or bosses... Usually as a result of my not wanting to join cliches and since I work in childcare if you don't team up your an easy target or whatever.

That's so weird. Childcare workers acting like children.

Dainty Doll

I feel for you.
I used to work retail back when I was saving for university, I'd usually be put on the tasting table so I had to be Mary ******** Poppins all day long... shitty, self-important arse-hole customers are the worst.
I had this one guy make an official complaint about me being rude once because he made an extremely inappropriate "joke", and instead of flirting/giggling, I blanked him. So he repeated it, and I just responded "that's not appropriate" and carried on with what I was doing.
What a rude b***h, eh? rolleyes

Fortunately I don't have to deal with the general public anymore, the biggest irritant now is just awkward clients... which is a completely different kettle of fish, as there's no "the customer is always right" mindset, so I don't have to kiss anyone's arse, and I can just refuse to deal with them directly at all if I want to.

Blessed Gaian

Yeah i work retail, and it can suck. I work the floor so i have to fold clothes over and over and ask if a customer needs help finding anything...etc. Most of the time its not bad, but its annoying when its busy and you see the parents not care what their children are doing. Like i swear parents tell their children to go run around. We then get the parents coming to the cashiers saying their child is missing...like hello? Keep track of your children.
misty sundays
.... my manager informed me that a customer complained that I was "rude" to her, even though I wasn't. at all. sigh. apparently acknowledging a customer and asking if they need help is considered rude now. luckily my day got better but that still annoyed me.

so, do you work with the general public?
did you deal with any customer bs today or recently?
worst customers ever?
are you looking forward to the day you don't have to serve nasty people?

Rainbow Ladykiller

Customers will complain about anything.
Assailants
One of my least favorite jobs was at Olive Garden. I was 18, had finally gotten a decent grasp on English, and I had no idea that people could be so ******** horrible.
There was a guy once that ordered a soup, but he didnt want noodles. I very kindly explained to him that we make our soups by the pot, not individually, and that there wasn't a way for him to get a NOODLE SOUP WITHOUT NOODLES.

So he threw a fit, called me a nazi, told me to go back to my home country, and a lot of other horrible things. My coworker called for the manager, and she pulled me to the back and had me pick out the ******** noodles. Which is apparently required at Olive Garden, because the customer is always right. Later on after he left, I had about 3 other tables that left me HUUUGE tips as an apology for Noodle Guy.

And he wasnt the only one! Multiple times a week I had someone who flipped s**t on me. And don't even get me started on my job now, working in a clothing store. Moms are the worst.

Are you German or was it more of an "Nazi" insult-thing?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff