How are you? 0.78571428571429 78.6% [ 11 ]
I know you. 0.071428571428571 7.1% [ 1 ]
I knew you. 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
I think I can remember your name. 0.14285714285714 14.3% [ 2 ]
(name) 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes:[ 14 ]

THIS FORUM SCARES ME SO HARD YOU GUYS YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW
HHHHHHGHHGHG;;;;
But anyways, HI. I would like you to critique these commissions I did for a friend. Soft shading is still something I'm iffy about, so I'd like to know how to improve............ aheh...................

User Image
User Image

OH UH, and here's a cell shaded piece, too, even though that's not relevant at all to the topic at hand. I'm just interested in hearing which coloring style you like more. I personally like to cell shade, but I think people prefer looking at soft shading. xD; (Also, this drawing's a little older than the other two.)
User Image

So uh, there's that.

THINGS I WOULD LIKE VERY MUCH:
*Tips on fluid poses
*Tips on soft shading on SAI

Also, do you think these would be suitable for selling as prints? Or should I wait until I get better?

Also also, my dA is ~*~HERE!~*~ Yeah.

TH-THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME. ;U;

Tasty Waffles

Why are you scared? We're just people. rofl
This forum moves very slowly btw, so it may take awhile to get enough responses.
I like your art a lot. (: I'm actually hesitant to critique 'cause you're a lot better than me. For someone who is "iffy" about shading, you've done a great job. I don't see anything that needs to be fixed. Any rough spots I do see, I think you'll work out with practice. I think you could benefit from more experimentation with colors, like bringing in additional colors in your light and shadow. I think it would make it even more interesting, but it's not necessary.
This is not related to shading, but in the first piece his right eye (his right, our left) does bother me a little. I know it's going to be different because of perspective, but maybe it's a little too small and far to the side? If this was a stylistic choice then I'm sorry.
While I don't know that I would buy these two prints specifically, I would definitely buy this quality of work. I would certainly approach you at a convention. Of course, the easiest way to draw in customers is to do fan art, but you don't have to do that. razz Good luck!

p.s. - Do you have a Tumblr? I'm not on DevArt very much.
Zackarye

Aah, I just get really scared of critique because I'm a wimp... but I'm trying to get better about it because I know it's good for me. ;u; This forum specifically scares me because I've gotten some pretty tough critiques in the past.
Aaaah, waaah, thank you that's so nice of you! ;u; And color experimentation is a good idea! :9 I'll be sure to play around with that sometime, or maybe look up some color theory stuff. :,D
Ah, no, you're right; the eye is indeed a bit off. Thank you for pointing that out! Faces are something I'm always trying to work on;;;;
AND ALSO... IT MAKES ME REALLY HAPPY TO HEAR YOU'D BUY THIS QUALITY OF STUFF... ;u; Thank you so much!!

Ah, I don't. xD; I might make a tumblr eventually for convenience sake one day, but... not yet... >u>

Tasty Waffles

xmoonlitxdreamx

Aah, I just get really scared of critique because I'm a wimp... but I'm trying to get better about it because I know it's good for me. ;u; This forum specifically scares me because I've gotten some pretty tough critiques in the past.
Aaaah, waaah, thank you that's so nice of you! ;u; And color experimentation is a good idea! :9 I'll be sure to play around with that sometime, or maybe look up some color theory stuff. :,D
Ah, no, you're right; the eye is indeed a bit off. Thank you for pointing that out! Faces are something I'm always trying to work on;;;;
AND ALSO... IT MAKES ME REALLY HAPPY TO HEAR YOU'D BUY THIS QUALITY OF STUFF... ;u; Thank you so much!!

Ah, I don't. xD; I might make a tumblr eventually for convenience sake one day, but... not yet... >u>

Some critiques can be too harsh, you're right. Truthfully I believe kind critiques are taken more seriously, so there's no need for anyone to be rude. When someone comes here for help, it's good to acknowledge how hard they've already worked and then show them how to improve.
That's just my philosophy, anyway. Even I can dish out some "tough love," but it's usually people who need an ego-check who get that. rofl
I hope someone better than me comes along, so they can really help.
Your art is amazing.
I have nothing to say as I don't color.
But you know I love your stuff moon. ;~; <3

Timid Explorer

Your shading abilities are impeccable. I'm also loving the fact that your artwork is Homestuck!
I'm not sure whether or not you can actually sell these as prints though, because I know that Hussie has politely asked before that people not sell his copyrighted material without his permission. Just a fair warning to you. Other than copyrighting issues that might (or might not!) arise, your art is definitely selling quality!
rattleCakes
Your art is amazing.

Wahh, thank you for always being encouraging....!! ;3;

Skyward Wings
Your shading abilities are impeccable. I'm also loving the fact that your artwork is Homestuck!
I'm not sure whether or not you can actually sell these as prints though, because I know that Hussie has politely asked before that people not sell his copyrighted material without his permission. Just a fair warning to you. Other than copyrighting issues that might (or might not!) arise, your art is definitely selling quality!

Thank you for that extremely important copyright information!! I've wondered about the legalities since Homestuck is a webcomic, but I'd seen pins/stickers/etc at cons before and assumed it was okay. I'll refrain from selling these, and make some other prints instead. :)
Ah, I actually don't read Homestuck, though;;; I made these for a friend. xD But thank you so much!! ;u;

Timid Explorer

xmoonlitxdreamx
rattleCakes
Your art is amazing.

Wahh, thank you for always being encouraging....!! ;3;

Skyward Wings

Thank you for that extremely important copyright information!! I've wondered about the legalities since Homestuck is a webcomic, but I'd seen pins/stickers/etc at cons before and assumed it was okay. I'll refrain from selling these, and make some other prints instead. :)
Ah, I actually don't read Homestuck, though;;; I made these for a friend. xD But thank you so much!! ;u;

Yeah I used to see pins and prints and the like too, but I think last year or the year before he requested that people not mass-produce merchandise. Private commissions are one thing, and he doesn't seem to mind those, but making up a bunch of prints and selling them would be making a huge profit on his work without him seeing a penny. My apologies if my previous post was confusing. I was only trying to warn you that mass-producing prints might not go over well. Doing a custom image for a friend or even a small commission fee doesn't seem to bother him. And if I'm still not being very clear my bad.
Skyward Wings

Yeah I used to see pins and prints and the like too, but I think last year or the year before he requested that people not mass-produce merchandise. Private commissions are one thing, and he doesn't seem to mind those, but making up a bunch of prints and selling them would be making a huge profit on his work without him seeing a penny. My apologies if my previous post was confusing. I was only trying to warn you that mass-producing prints might not go over well. Doing a custom image for a friend or even a small commission fee doesn't seem to bother him. And if I'm still not being very clear my bad.

Oh no, I understood! I meant I'll refrain from "mass producing" and selling these drawings, because I was intending to sell them if I ever got around to buying an art booth at a con. I figured that private commissions are in the okay. xD plus she already payed me so cough cough

Timid Explorer

xmoonlitxdreamx
Skyward Wings

Oh no, I understood! I meant I'll refrain from "mass producing" and selling these drawings, because I was intending to sell them if I ever got around to buying an art booth at a con. I figured that private commissions are in the okay. xD plus she already payed me so cough cough

Oh, my bad. Good luch with getting an art booth! If you ever get one at Anime Boston, be sure to let me know and I'll try to stop by! Your artwork is sure to sell like hotcakes whatever the content is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff