Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wealthy Tycoon

7,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Firstly, are prices rising mainly because of people buying low and selling high? Honestly, it is NOT the main reason but it IS a reason. Let me say, Gaia users have been doing investment ever since and it has never affected prices drastically. Prices would rise naturally in a steady rate (or not rise at all) because items become rarer over a long period of time (in economics, supply falls, thus increasing its price) due to it not being available in the store or items being "lost" in inactive accounts. Thus, people can buy items for a low price and wait for a few months, and sell it for a higher price.

But, wait....what if some greedy clever trickster tries to buy all of the supply available on the market and then tries to sell them all again for an even higher price the following days? It seems that users don't have the choice but to buy at that price....but, WRONG. Sellers will quickly realize that people generally do NOT have the money or are not willing to buy an item that was artificially inflated (meaning, an item whose price dramatically increases without its worth really increasing). Thus, usually, they would try to get back their money by selling at the price they bought it or at least a price that was close to it.

However, notice that it is way easier now for people to suddenly buy things even if people artificially inflated them. Why? Because people have tons and tons of coins.The main culprit? The sudden influx of gold through easy means of acquirement such as items like Make it Rain. Since users have so much coins, demand goes up for items and people keep spending and spending and therefore increasing the price for almost EVERYTHING in such a short period of time, something you call hyperinflation. Thus, this gives a good market for those clever tricksters who want to artificially increase prices.

Naturally, to combat inflation, Gaia has gold sinks to take away the excess money of the Gaian economy. They have Gaia gold shops, the 2% transaction tax, prices for name change, etc, etc. This is what Gaia has been doing in the past years and has really helped the economy be stable despite numerous gold generators (ways to make money) such as coins from making posts, commenting, playing games, etc.

However, for the past months, I honestly think Gaia has let all of this stability go and REALLY knows it is inflating prices in exchange for real cash for the business Gaia really is.

Right before this crisis Gaia offered cheap gold generators that allowed users to win incredible amounts of money for in-world cash. This, in my opinion, triggered this crisis and set prices skyrocketing.

However, the real question is, is Gaia doing anything about it?

Just a day ago and right in the middle of this crisis, Gaia has made this announcement:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/community-announcements/win-oodles-of-gold-with-make-it-hurricane/t.91465281/

Instead of trying to address this inflation problem, Gaia is making it worse by offering a 30% discount for gold generators which means that even more and more gold is going in the Gaian economy.

And, I know the Gaia staff aren't stupid to not know the negative effects of these gold generators. They know in the back of their minds that this would happen. However, why would they still continue with this?

Easy, people would be lured into buying these gold generators because they are so cheap and because of this, Gaia would earn a ton of cash.

It's a win-win situation for some users and Gaia.

But, it's not going to be good for many newbie users who wish to rely on the natural means of earning gold (commenting, posting, etc) in order to get a decent amount of coins. Of course though, there are some new newbies who can choose to buy gcash to get gold generators.

However, in the end, it's many hardworking Gaia users (many are veterans) who are the true victims of this crisis. You see, for example, I had a Gaia friend who had 10 mil and items worth 2 mil around 8 months ago. He earned this money of course through many means, through artwork, etc. He logged out and just got back in again. Now, his items are priced at 500 mil (virtually the real value of items are worth 2.5x more than they were counting inflation) but his 10 mil won't really buy him that much anymore (hard work for nothing). Of course, he could always buy a gold generator too! (which would of course still lead to even more inflation)

And, it can also be not good for all of us in the end. I mean, do you really want prices gaining or losing 30% of their value the next day?

Really, what can we do to stop this? People have been suggesting to start buying shop items using coins. Of course, that would just be a grain of sand on the beach. There's really nothing you can do about it and just hope Gaia would stop with these schemes and listen to the majority of its users.

Eloquent Lunatic

Oh, cool. Another one of these topics.

Wealthy Tycoon

7,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Generic Breed

I wouldn't really dismiss it as "another one of those topics" or "rant" as it just explains the cause of why it's happening with just a few suggestions.

Eloquent Lunatic

Vicious Thrasher
Generic Breed

I wouldn't really dismiss it as "another one of those topics" or "rant" as it just explains the cause of why it's happening with just a few suggestions.

So did all the others.

Wealthy Tycoon

7,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Generic Breed
Vicious Thrasher
Generic Breed

So did all the others.

Okay, suit yourself. Just sharing my opinion.

Demonic Defender

16,350 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Firestarter 200
Vicious Thrasher
Generic Breed

Your concerns are valid however we get threads like these every 15 ish hours or much less and that has been on going for several months. I myself have made several threads.
Gaia doesn't care about you,me or anything related to the site unless it involves cash.
Your heart is in the right place but with these people running the site whom see nothing wrong with the state it's in,all attempts to remotely fix this place are futile and the only thing we can do is refuse to give them money in any form under all circumstances until they get their s**t together. Money is the one and only thing they listen to now so for me personally,I've come to refuse spending money here. If others want change here then I hope they'll stop supporting this place until they start listening to the users that fund them again.

P.s. Thank narumi,the coo,and marketing team for ******** up the site.
I doubt we'll see change unless they all get fired,leave or replaced.
Anyone can get fired at any second really and there actions are not in the best interest for a business that wants to be a sustainable business.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize they're slowly killing this place.
They offer little to nothing to new usersso they won't be getting new buyers to enter the cash shop much and a lot of the current users are getting fed up with everything that's going on.

Eloquent Lunatic

I'm not trying to be mean, it's just, as wizardeiges explained, this topic is beating a dead horse.

Wealthy Tycoon

7,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
IIwizardeigesII
Vicious Thrasher
Generic Breed

Your concerns are valid however we get threads like these every 15 ish hours and that has been on going for several months.
Gaia doesn't care about you,me or anything related to the site unless it involves cash.
Your heart is in the right place but with these people running the site whom see nothing wrong with the state it's in,all attempts to remotely fix this place are futile and the only thing we can do is refuse to give them money in any form under all circumstances until they get their s**t together.

Anyone can get fired at any second really and there actions are not in the best interest for a business that wants to be a sustainable business.

Yes, true true. I thank you for pointing that out. I think it's all because we're all just pissed with what's happening and people bring out every time. Honestly, I've just came back after 4 months of being inactive and I just came back shocked so I decided to write this article because I've been researching on what has been happening for the past few days and I just wanted to write what I felt the root of this problem using what I've learned from economics in college

Wealthy Tycoon

7,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Generic Breed
I'm not trying to be mean, it's just, as wizardeiges explained, this topic is beating a dead horse.

It's alright, like I said in my post to wizardeiges, I had just come back after 4 months of being inactive and I just came back really really shocked so I decided to write this article because I've been researching on what has been happening for the past few days and just applying what I learned from economics/business courses. I know a lot wouldn't care but at least I tried sweatdrop sweatdrop sweatdrop

Wheezing Member

I thought your argument was very well thought out, and might explain to some of the newer users what is actually going on.

If they read it.

They probably won't.

I realized that there are a lot more users than I thought, who simply do not care.

They see high prices, they want more gold to buy the items they want.
They buy gold generators so they can.
The prices go up higher.
They buy more.

Gaia y u so clever in tricking 14 year olds with mommy's credit card

Anyway.
I liked your post.

Have a bump of hope. dramallama

Demonic Defender

16,350 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Firestarter 200
Vicious Thrasher
IIwizardeigesII
Vicious Thrasher
Generic Breed

Your concerns are valid however we get threads like these every 15 ish hours and that has been on going for several months.
Your heart is in the right place but with these people running the site whom see nothing wrong with the state it's in,all attempts to remotely fix this place are futile and the only thing we can do is refuse to give them money in any form under all circumstances until they get their s**t together.

Yes, true true. I thank you for pointing that out. I think it's all because we're all just pissed with what's happening and people bring out every time. Honestly, I've just came back after 4 months of being inactive and I just came back shocked so I decided to write this article because I've been researching on what has been happening for the past few days and I just wanted to write what I felt the root of this problem using what I've learned from economics in college

I think we actually need many more threads like this,the calm and collected kind. We get to many RAHRAHRAH ******** THIS SITE U DON ******** IT UP RAHRAH.
Perhaps if the forums became flooded,there would be a slightly higher chance of them seeing these threads.
They currently ignore them but go straight to any cash related threads,it's bullshit,right?

Oh the things you've missed buddy.
Short Recap:
3/4 founders are gone. (only lanzer remains currently)
Most Programmers were replaced with artists.
All games are shelved,at least those that matter anyway.
They sent out a fat shaming survey - that day the forums learned what unfiltered rage was. (Calledspecific body types such lovely things as whale,fatass etc.)
Images got out of the coo standing in front of a slide of images with flynns booty,describing how we can be made addicted to buying by understanding how lab rats get addicted to drugs..I'm not ******** kidding. (Shortly after we had staff in a panic trying to remove everything related to it in the forums)
Some users took it upon themselves to track down the newest ceo and screw with him and his personal info even though the ceo isn't the one to blame here.(Narumi oversees all teams including marketing team and marketing team decides what goes into the cash shop)
Uncle kenny,our event maker and awesome programmer left after finally finding a new job to leave this poorly run place.
Uhhhhh I think you know everything else.

I wish they'd hire you,they could use someone with some brain power and a education.
It makes me wonder if they'd listen to someone who understands economics though since it would go against their whole "lets try out best to piss everyone off" tactics. xd
Sometimes I get the feeling they just pick people off the street and have them run this place.

Clean Gekko

7,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
Thank you for the article. I completely agree. Back in the day (at the risk of sounding like an old woman) when everything was fairly new in gaia I worked hard to win my first 1mil. I remember spending a whole summer just buying and selling low priced items that nowadays are given freely in the daily rewards. Playing the new games, interacting in the forums (posting, commenting)..etc. I then logged off in order to better focus on my studies and once I'd returned I was shocked to see that the items I had neglected to sell had reached an astonishing price. The problem, as I see it, lies with the sites focus on cashflow rather then the original goal of creating a community where all users regardless of background could interact freely. This changing policy pushes users to buy the virtual currency instead of using the traditional methods of collecting gaiagold. This topic might seem to some as if beating a dead horse, but unless the problem is resolved then I do not see why those affected should just keep quiet. We shouldn't just give up because the system supposedly can't change. If more and more people speak up then I believe those that are likeminded can be reached.

Business Hero

8,325 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Generous 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I think it's good that you're showing concern even if it's not the first thread of it's nature in this here forum. Try not to get discouraged about it, mmmkay :U ?

I would like to direct your attention to this thread, you may find it useful!

Anyway, Uncle PP OUT!

Clean Gekko

7,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
Uncle PP Pennybags-Wright
I think it's good that you're showing concern even if it's not the first thread of it's nature in this here forum. Try not to get discouraged about it, mmmkay :U ?

Anyway, Uncle PP OUT!

Thank you for the link.

Business Hero

8,325 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Generous 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Miral Tores
Uncle PP Pennybags-Wright

Anyway, Uncle PP OUT!

Thank you for the link.

You're welcome, got to do something to make things better and help each other out :U .

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff