Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hygienic Gaian

♪ ♫—¤(`¤* ☽ ★ ☾ *¤´)¤—♫ ♪

I've recently started recruiting/promo-ing my guild. What's the most effective way to do so, other than posting here? I've also posted in Friends Chat. (Is guild recruitment allowed on other places of the site, or can it only be on in the GGN forum?)

Lonely Explorer

7,650 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Cash Grabber 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
Bump in the interest of the guild.
xCrack The Sky

I've recently started recruiting/promo-ing my guild. What's the most effective way to do so, other than posting here? I've also posted in Friends Chat. (Is guild recruitment allowed on other places of the site, or can it only be on in the GGN forum?)

Advertising for guilds is kind of a tricky subject. Technically we're not supposed to advertise outside of this forum but there are lots of creative ways to get around that.

The one my guild has had the most success with has been holding events and contests in the appropriate contest forums. People love prizes and you can make them post in your guild to enter the contest. Unfortunately this does take some serious gold to pull off.

The second most valuable advertising we've done is in guild affiliations. Guilds helping other guilds is quite possibly the greatest thing ever. Done right it can take several different guilds and combine them into one big community. You just have to find the right guilds to affiliate with.

I will always recommend the Newbie Supporting and Training Guild for affiliations and really just anything in general. They are awesomely wonderful people.

The 12th Annual User Run Ball is also a fun one that gets a lot of action. They've been doing that thing for a while now so can probably give you some good advice if you're brave enough to ask.

And, of course, I'm gonna have to plug my own guild, the School of Dedicated RPers which has been around about 10 years now in some form or another.

The best advice I can give you though, and something all three of these guilds do (when they're being successful) is to never stop posting in your guild. Even if you're just running a gold raffle or doing one of those avi above you thread games posting is the life blood of every guild.

And here's a very important side note. On reading over your guild's home page you should seriously take off the "topics discussed may be inappropriate for users under 18" part because that is in direct violation of Gaia's TOS. Sorry, but even guilds have to abide by the PG-13 rule.

Hygienic Gaian

School Of Dedicated RPers
xCrack The Sky

Advertising for guilds is kind of a tricky subject. Technically we're not supposed to advertise outside of this forum but there are lots of creative ways to get around that.

The one my guild has had the most success with has been holding events and contests in the appropriate contest forums. People love prizes and you can make them post in your guild to enter the contest. Unfortunately this does take some serious gold to pull off.

The second most valuable advertising we've done is in guild affiliations. Guilds helping other guilds is quite possibly the greatest thing ever. Done right it can take several different guilds and combine them into one big community. You just have to find the right guilds to affiliate with.

I will always recommend the Newbie Supporting and Training Guild for affiliations and really just anything in general. They are awesomely wonderful people.

The 12th Annual User Run Ball is also a fun one that gets a lot of action. They've been doing that thing for a while now so can probably give you some good advice if you're brave enough to ask.

And, of course, I'm gonna have to plug my own guild, the School of Dedicated RPers which has been around about 10 years now in some form or another.

The best advice I can give you though, and something all three of these guilds do (when they're being successful) is to never stop posting in your guild. Even if you're just running a gold raffle or doing one of those avi above you thread games posting is the life blood of every guild.

And here's a very important side note. On reading over your guild's home page you should seriously take off the "topics discussed may be inappropriate for users under 18" part because that is in direct violation of Gaia's TOS. Sorry, but even guilds have to abide by the PG-13 rule.

I mostly meant "LD forum" material, with the under 18 part. They have discussions of things sexual ALL the time. But I removed it.

Thank you for all the advice though! We have a few users with a decent gold amount so we might be able to pull that off.

We still post, our dedicated members. Does having a higher post count make people want to join?

xCrack The Sky

I mostly meant "LD forum" material, with the under 18 part. They have discussions of things sexual ALL the time. But I removed it.

Thank you for all the advice though! We have a few users with a decent gold amount so we might be able to pull that off.

We still post, our dedicated members. Does having a higher post count make people want to join?

Yeah, sorry to be a stickler for the rules but people can and will report a guild if they say things like that on their guild page.

As for posting, some people are drawn to high posting counts but really it's all about keeping up momentum. You see this in marketing all the time, especially with social media. People these days like to see new things, even if they're little, so long as it's new. If you don't update often (or in this case post) then people will get bored and stop coming back. You can have the best product around but if you don't keep producing then you won't keep your customers. In a forum site like this your product is your posts. So you have to keep posting to keep your customers (members) interested and to draw in new ones.

Also, the guild search function ranks purely on whatever guild has made the most recent post. I haven't seen the code behind it to prove it but I have tested this theory by searching for a guild name to check its ranking then making a post in that guild and searching again to find it at the top of the list when previously it hadn't even been on the first page. I've done this with three guilds now so I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff