Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dardeerling-tea's Husbando

I'm looking for some anime and manga suggestions. I really love dark, horror, and psychological anime/manga. I would really like it if you could give me a suggestion and explanation as to why I should watch it. Here's a couple animes with the dark, horror, and psychological theme that I've watched so far that I've enjoyed and haven't enjoyed and why. So, maybe they'll help you out with your suggestions.

So, far I've seen...

Hell Girl
I really liked this series because I just liked the concept of it. Having your grudges revenged and making contracts, I thought was pretty interesting.

Ergo Proxy
I found the storyline to be interesting and liked the world and characters.

Higurashi: When They Cry
I liked the dark psychological aspect to this series. It was a little slow but I over all enjoyed it. I also enjoyed it just gave little piece of the puzzle with every time loop and slowly figure out what's going on. I also like the whole concept behind the mystery of the disease and why people couldn't leave the village. Sadly, though I haven't fully finishes this series >.<

Boogiepop
I liked having to figure out pieces of the puzzle with each episode.

Serial Experiments Lain
I liked the concept of everyone being connected and becoming a god

Elfen Lied
I didn't like this series very well. Gore and Moe (Moekko) should never mix. I just felt like the plot was poorly done and the characters unlikable.

Ones that I've heard of and want to watch

Shiki
Primarily because it has an interesting art style and looks like it has a dark theme to it. If you've watched it but don't think it's worth watching then let me know.

Future Diary
I'm not so sure about this one. So, if you think it's worth watching then let me know.

I've tried google but since there's not a lot in this genre it mainly just keeps popping up with ones I've already watched.

Edit: Adult Material doesn't bother me.

Tipsy Genius

5,000 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Dressed Up 200
I'm probably not gonna be much help as I haven't seen many in the genre you're looking for.

But have you checked the which anime sticky? I guess it might take a while to find something that interests you but it might be a good place to look while you wait for replies biggrin
Oh I realized I just made a topic that I made a new topic that's pretty much like yours.

Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) is nice. I liked it. It has some yandere in it and has a pretty interesting plot development and some nice twists in it. It has a lot of gore in it probably as much as Elfin Lied.

Monster is a pretty good anime albeit a bit old. I'm watching it now and two of my friends gave it high recommendations when they told me about it and so far it's been holding up to my standards.

If you have the time the visual novel for Higurashi is much better if you don't mind reading. I've seen the anime and read the visual novel and there's a lot lost in the anime that the visual novel had.

Kara no Kyoukai is one by Type Moon if you've heard of them. Main protagonist has the same ability as the guy Shiki in Tsukihime. All seven are movies but quite enjoyable.
Edit: The story follows a female protagonist that has the ability to cut the lines of existence of an object or living being. She uses this ability to hunt down murderers and psychotic people.

Mnemosyne (R +18 ) There's a few lewd scenes that made this particular series a little disturbing for me to watch. However it explores the idea of living in a fantasy world where a certain breed of people are immortal and are always hunted down monstrous beings. The main pressing question they bring to you is, how is it to live a life that doesn't end in which you have to live in fear of being hunted.

Paprika (R +18 ) Another movie where they explore the concept of reality and dreams and the border between the two. There's some mild nudity in there, but it doesn't take away from the anime at all.

Speed Grapher (R +18 ) This involves the black market that's run by the rich and for the rich which introduces an interesting euphoric drug that some of the fat cats are willing to die for. The drug allows people to obtain special abilities in return for large sums of money. Although it does have the older male saving the young loli theme to it that isn't all that it's about.

Wolf's Rain Post Apocalyptic setting much like Ergo Proxy except you're following wolves instead of Proxys. It shows the devotion some are willing to show when everything has fallen to a wasteland and they're searching for a paradise that they've only heard of from rumors.

There's a few more that I've seen as well but I think this list alone will keep you occupied. Also props for watching all of Lain and Boogiepop. I know that they can be hard to finish considering the style of storytelling they use.

Texhnolyze I haven't seen this yet, but it's style seems much like Lain and Boogiepop.
You should watch the anime Another im reading the manga its so great heres a description of it When Kouichi Sasakibara transfers to his new school, he can sense something frightening in the atmosphere of his new class, a secret none of them will talk about. At the center is the beautiful girl Mei Misaki. Kouichi is immediately drawn to her mysterious aura, but then he begins to realize that no one else in the class is aware of her presence.

or Mirai Nikki. is really great and interesting cause you never know whats going to happen next. itt just gets very exciting plus Yuno is so great

Sparkly Hunter

I can recommend 'Another' as it's dark, mysterious and has a psychological context. I don't want to spoil but the ending was really unexpected for me.
I'd recommend Chrome Shelled Regios by all means, since you noted earlier you already watched Madoka Magica in fact.

Do you need me to explain why CSR?
Puella Magi Madoka Magica is alright if you don't mind a bunch of teen girls becoming all magical and tons of feels to follow.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff