Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Smoker

i mean at first i listen to the beat of the song at first but good, witty lyrics are always a plus

Kawaii Bunny

Proffesor Hamilton

nice sig art heart
Agnes ObIige
Proffesor Hamilton

nice sig art heart

its opposite my avi actually based on the art but thanx

e:

i don't think it wuz intentional at first i think i just wanted 2 be a grey boi in bullz gear #bullznation #boozer #dunleavyJR #jonoah #rose

Festive Noob

not really, i can't pay attention to the song and what i'm doing at the same time, so the lyrics just blend into the sound for me
thats why i usually listen to songs without lyrics

Garbage Capitalist

7,475 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Marathon 300
It depends, I mean some songs have good lyrics, some are okay and then other ones are just...no. Some songs should just ditch all of their lyrics altogether, I think.
kimiichu
Have you ever heard a song and cringed when you heard some of the lyrics? e.g. Hey Soul Sister with 'Your lipstick stains on the front lobe of my left side brain', and 'My heart is bound to beat right out my untrimmed chest' (ew ew ew). Or do you mostly care about the tune or the song as a whole and ignore the lyrics? Maybe you listen to songs that are carried entirely by the lyrics and vocals, maybe you mostly like instrumental music, or lots of the music that you listen to isn't even by artists that speak the same language(s) as you.

I'm pretty curious about this because I was having this discussion with a group of friends earlier and they all had extremely different opinions on this subject. Personally, I listen to pretty much anything under the sun, but if I hear/read really bad lyrics, I just can't get into the song. So, I was wondering what you guys' thoughts were about this, since I don't hear people mention it that much, and I think it's a pretty interesting subject.

Are there any more songs that are unsettling to you when you hear the lyrics? AND have you ever had sounds in an instrumental that disturb you? I know I have, instruments can give off many different emotions and also bring different emotions in the listener.
In my opinion yes, it in many cases in most genres it is crucial to have lyrics to express the meaning behind the song. Now given that...are lyrics a must, absolutely not. And can lyrics be used as crutch to simplify and become an easy way out of expressing the meaning and message behind the track...of course.
But like everything music is a form of creativity and in the end lyrics are just a tool. At times a crucial tool but not a must.
Pablo Heart
TeacupPrince
Pablitox xD
TeacupPrince
Some can make certain phrases work, others can't. Lily Allen doesn't get much respect for her writing for example, but she targets a lot of topics others don't and sings songs from her point of view.

Lily Allen lyrics are great tbh (Kabul s**t slays everything), but she became a lot lazier in this Sheezus-era gonk

I don't care for Hard Out Here and HATE Air Balloon. :[

Hard Out Here sounds a lot like this (Greg Kurstin produced both songs)

Air Balloon sounds good to me (the lyrics are a mess tho), L8 CMMR it's like the new Not Fair and Our Time it's a great party song. But i hope there are more songs like Everyone's At It, The Fear or Kabul S**t

Oh wow, I'm a Marina and a Lily fan and didn't notice that but you're definitely right. It's a recycled song for sure.

and I agree I'm hoping to hear more of Lily's stuff, I liked 22. I enjoyed Who'd Have Known. Though my favorites are still her earlier stuff. I feel like Lily is being more infused with a very slight more... rap / mainstream sound somewhat with her original sound rather than the slight personal Elton John diary style she had going.

Magnetic Cat

TeacupPrince
Pablo Heart
TeacupPrince
Pablitox xD
TeacupPrince
Some can make certain phrases work, others can't. Lily Allen doesn't get much respect for her writing for example, but she targets a lot of topics others don't and sings songs from her point of view.

Lily Allen lyrics are great tbh (Kabul s**t slays everything), but she became a lot lazier in this Sheezus-era gonk

I don't care for Hard Out Here and HATE Air Balloon. :[

Hard Out Here sounds a lot like this (Greg Kurstin produced both songs)

Air Balloon sounds good to me (the lyrics are a mess tho), L8 CMMR it's like the new Not Fair and Our Time it's a great party song. But i hope there are more songs like Everyone's At It, The Fear or Kabul S**t

Oh wow, I'm a Marina and a Lily fan and didn't notice that but you're definitely right. It's a recycled song for sure.

and I agree I'm hoping to hear more of Lily's stuff, I liked 22. I enjoyed Who'd Have Known. Though my favorites are still her earlier stuff. I feel like Lily is being more infused with a very slight more... rap / mainstream sound somewhat with her original sound rather than the slight personal Elton John diary style she had going.

Diamond+idk if Lily stans have a name emotion_bigheart

I feel Sia is doing the same crying i mean, see Chandelier.
It's so ******** ¨Air Balloon¨ in relation with her old stuff...
Oh my God, i hope the album is fully produced by Greg like We are Born gonk
hotie000
I generally do love hearing lyrics to a song, they can make that song carry so much more meaning. An example is the song "Losing My Religion" by R.E.M. At first, from the title, you may think that it is simply about losing faith, but then when you hear and ponder the lyrics you see much more meaning behind the words used. (in this example, "losing my religion" is just a saying that means losing your mind)

Another is the song "Miss Atomic Bomb" by The Killers. That song, while having a brilliant melody and rhythm, is heavily lyric driven. (same to be said about a song related to it, "Mr. Brightside" wink Whenever I hear that song without focusing the lyrics I just think it is a good song, but when I do focus on the lyrics, I learn why his voice goes strong and soft in some areas. That is when I connect to the song entirely and I feel what he is conveying in his words. That of heartbreak.

I agree. Songs that are entirely instruments work towards being expressive, and not really giving a concise message. Lyrics can work like art work that has an intended focal point, because they can deliberately draw your attention to a theme and/or message. How deep or shallow or how significant or trivial the content is varies by the artist and songwriter.

Shy Pal

I think so, but if a song is not supposed to be serious then I probably wouldn't mind.

Wheezing Noob

depending on the mood.

Versatile Explorer

burials
real los angeles
rarely.

I hate when people try to put it at higher importance than the actual musical composition, too.

i think this

3rd(?)-ing this. Especially since an overwhelming majority of music throughout history has been based of the musical composition.

HLX-1
not really, i can't pay attention to the song and what i'm doing at the same time, so the lyrics just blend into the sound for me
thats why i usually listen to songs without lyrics

Same, I can't focus on a song and really do something else at at time, lyrics or not (having no lyrics makes it easier but still). ---> Cause I want to focus completely on what I'm listening to. That's why I haven't been listening to music a lot lately. I'm online doing something else and thinking out loud while in it or either wanting to focus on something else.

OniBAU
In my opinion yes, it in many cases in most genres it is crucial to have lyrics to express the meaning behind the song. Now given that...are lyrics a must, absolutely not. And can lyrics be used as crutch to simplify and become an easy way out of expressing the meaning and message behind the track...of course.
But like everything music is a form of creativity and in the end lyrics are just a tool. At times a crucial tool but not a must.

Exactly, except one thing... it is not crucial to have lyrics to express the meaning behind the song. At least for certain genres and songs. Now... if you are talking about rap, folk, etc. the lyrics and their delivery ARE THE SONG/COMPOSITION.

Something else that I advocate is that it's also more important that you create your own meaning out of a song. Also that a message could be interpreted differently to others giving more support to the position I advocate. So take the song, listen to it and make it your world. 3nodding
Doesn't matter when I listen to Dubstep and Orchestral music.
Stinky Rat Farts
Lyrics mean a LOT to me in a song (depending on the genre/mood of the song).

It can make or break a song IMHO.

very true for me too. I could tolerate some choice words that don't sit well with me, but if there are just times where lyrics ruin the whole vibe of the song for me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff