Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Werewolf

7,800 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
I know that I am not very attractive and I hate it sometimes, but at least I know I am a good person and that is all that really matters in the end. Inner beauty is more important that outer in my opinion.
Toxilicks
I like to find people physically attractive, though I do know a few ugly people that are good friends.
emotion_kirakira
I thought you were supporting to call people ugly at first. Boy was I wrong. I support this thread.

Enduring Phantom

artejoven
Resonare Praeteriti
Those who are 'ugly' often still have their intellect though, and not being able to get a free ride on their looks feed that intellect until it one day earns them a pretty penny. They can save the money to change their face if they really want to.

As for if it goes wrong...sue the surgeon for a profit. People are ever so sympathetic to someone who was tragically disfigured. After that, all that they need to do is take the profits and go get a surgeon that can fix the mistake. Or get a dramatic face mask and make like the Phantom of the Opera. People love a person with a mask and some charisma.

My only point is that the crafty don't see being ugly as a setback. They see it as something to work with, or perhaps work around. Just because people won't kiss your a** for your looks doesn't mean anything as to the rest of you.

That's assuming that you can find a surgeon who can fix the mistake, or if fixing the mistake is even possible. Being ugly isn't a huge setback to attaining wealth, sure, but that's not all people wish for in life. Love/relationships is a big part of life. Imo, that's a huge part of why being called "ugly" is so hurtful to people, because it plays on that fear that others won't be attracted to them. And that face mask isn't all that practical IRL, as original the idea is. xp
So yeah, that's why I think being called ugly is just as hurtful as being called stupid.

But people like Beast from the classic tale Beauty and the Beast and V from V for Vendetta still found someone willing to love them despite their unfortunate appearances. Why? There is beauty that transcends the physical, and as 'strange' as the mask may seem, I'd honestly wear one if I thought it would make people love me for who I am rather than what I look like (be that beautiful or ugly). Love of appearance is vain, fleeting, shallow-it's who you are that counts, not what you look like. I know that's overused, but it's true. For example, who cares what V's real face looked like? By the end of the movie, I accepted the mask as his face, and the person behind it as amazing, third degree burn scars and all.

There is no such redemption for being stupid, however. No way to hide it, no way to avert it. You might distract from it if you're pretty enough for a time, but as the beauty fades over the years people start to look at who you really are. No one takes a stupid person seriously. No one goes to them for advice. No one turns to them with life issues or worries. Being called stupid is comparable to being called a failure of a human being.
i've been called ugly before and decided to embrace it and the other person probably has self esteem issues.im sexy.
Resonare Praeteriti
But people like Beast from the classic tale Beauty and the Beast and V from V for Vendetta still found someone willing to love them despite their unfortunate appearances. Why? There is beauty that transcends the physical, and as 'strange' as the mask may seem, I'd honestly wear one if I thought it would make people love me for who I am rather than what I look like (be that beautiful or ugly). Love of appearance is vain, fleeting, shallow-it's who you are that counts, not what you look like. I know that's overused, but it's true. For example, who cares what V's real face looked like? By the end of the movie, I accepted the mask as his face, and the person behind it as amazing, third degree burn scars and all.

There is no such redemption for being stupid, however. No way to hide it, no way to avert it. You might distract from it if you're pretty enough for a time, but as the beauty fades over the years people start to look at who you really are. No one takes a stupid person seriously. No one goes to them for advice. No one turns to them with life issues or worries. Being called stupid is comparable to being called a failure of a human being.

Yeah, people like Beast. (I don't know that other movie.) That doesn't invalidate people who're hurt by being called ugly. Of course there are some great people out there who can look past appearances--I don't deny that--however, our society's still a very shallow one and just that fact can make "you're ugly!" very painful for some people. o:

There are different types of intelligences, so some people who are called "stupid" might not actually be. But I digress, people are also very mean to people who are deemed stupid, so I agree with you on that last paragraph about how it hurts.

Wheezing Kitten

26,865 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
Professor Prismatic
I AM UGLY
AND I AM PROUD

I AM UGLY
AND I AM PROUD

User Image
I don't give a s**t if someone called me ugly. I'd just laughed it off. (:
Not sure if anyone else posted this but I think people should watch this

I try not to call anyone ugly...even if I don't like them, I try not to call them ugly. The way I see it, all it takes is for me to have a bad accident and my looks are gone. If that were to happen, I would hope to receive the treatment I deserve, and would not feel justified feeling that way if I didn't treat people the way I want to be treated.

Sound preachy, but it's true.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces