Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Autobiographer

6,250 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Ok, my friend said that one of my friends posted a mean comment on her profile. Should I report the mean comment myself? And if yes, then how should I report it (like the reason) ? :c

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
User Image

Um how mean was it? Was it trolling? Trying to get a raise out of the person?

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
The person whose profile it is (in this case, your friend) should report the comment. If mods deem it to be inappropriate, then they will take the appropriate actions.

But, as Lashuri Chan alluded to, keep in mind that it's not against site rules to say mean things, although flaming, trolling, and abuse are against the rules. So it depends on whether or not it qualifies as actually abusive, rather than just impolite.

Girl-Crazy Millionaire

6,700 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Lashuri Chan
User Image

I love your clothes

Girl-Crazy Millionaire

6,700 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
It would help if you'd just tell us what they said yum_puddi

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Emmabanana1
Lashuri Chan
User Image

I love your clothes

User Image

Thank you heart

6,250 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Lashuri Chan
User Image

The person who put that comment kept on saying that nobody should be my friend's friend and saying how she had no life. This person who put the comment USED to be my friend in real life and she told me that she typed that to my friend because she said that my friend didn't deserve to have a life.

The comment is on my friend's profile, if you really need to look at the comment: http://www.gaiaonline.com/profiles/kayane2/35736231/

Look in the comments for that person who said that she is bossy and mean btw. I am not too sure if the profile is set to be shown to the public, though, so the general error might show up.

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Ashlyn2212
Lashuri Chan
User Image

The person who put that comment kept on saying that nobody should be my friend's friend and saying how she had no life. This person who put the comment USED to be my friend in real life and she told me that she typed that to my friend because she said that my friend didn't deserve to have a life.

The comment is on my friend's profile, if you really need to look at the comment: http://www.gaiaonline.com/profiles/kayane2/35736231/

Look in the comments for that person who said that she is bossy and mean btw. I am not too sure if the profile is set to be shown to the public, though, so the general error might show up.

User Image

The one that says she is mean and the worst person in the world? That is middle school talk at beast. No I wouldn't report that. That was a fail attempt. Just tell your friend to delete it and put the user on their ignore list so they don't have to set their profile to private if they don't want to.

6,250 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Lashuri Chan
Ashlyn2212
Lashuri Chan
User Image

User Image

The one that says she is mean and the worst person in the world? That is middle school talk at beast. No I wouldn't report that. That was a fail attempt. Just tell your friend to delete it and put the user on their ignore list so they don't have to set their profile to private if they don't want to.

Okay. Thank you so much!! c:

Romantic Werewolf

15,950 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Threadmaster 200
Lashuri Chan
Ashlyn2212
Lashuri Chan
User Image

User Image

No, that's flaming and harassment, and should be reported.

Rainbow Lover

24,375 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Grunny Harvester 150
AloysiusWeasley
Lashuri Chan
Ashlyn2212
Lashuri Chan
User Image

User Image

I agree with this. It should be reported, but the person who has the comment on their profile should be the one to report it. It's not a requirement, but it lets the mods know it's not some sort of inside joke. Oddly enough, I have heard of that happening before.

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
AloysiusWeasley
Lashuri Chan
Ashlyn2212
Lashuri Chan
User Image

User Image

User Image

I don't think it should be taken seriously and I don't think it's against the rules to not report it. Wish a mod commented though telling me this. As far as I am concerned it is just your opinion like that was my opinion.

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
Lashuri Chan
AloysiusWeasley
Lashuri Chan
Ashlyn2212
Lashuri Chan
User Image

User Image

User Image

I don't think it should be taken seriously and I don't think it's against the rules to not report it. Wish a mod commented though telling me this. As far as I am concerned it is just your opinion like that was my opinion.

As an ex-mod, I agree with AloysiusWeasley - it looks a lot like flaming, trolling, and/or harassment to me. It's not really users' decisions what the exact rule of ToS violations are for abuse cases, so the comment should be reported so a mod can decide whether or not it violates the terms of service. Realistically, it's rarely a good idea to advise people not to report something they find questionable - that means that if it was indeed a ToS violation, the original violator goes unpunished and any other bystanders may mistakenly believe that these things are not ToS violations. On the contrary, there is no harm for reporting something that doesn't turn out to be a violation (unless the reports aren't made in good faith, such as spamming reports) so it behooves all users to report more, rather than less.

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Keakealani
Lashuri Chan
AloysiusWeasley
Lashuri Chan
Ashlyn2212
Lashuri Chan
User Image

User Image

User Image

As an ex-mod, I agree with AloysiusWeasley - it looks a lot like flaming, trolling, and/or harassment to me. It's not really users' decisions what the exact rule of ToS violations are for abuse cases, so the comment should be reported so a mod can decide whether or not it violates the terms of service. Realistically, it's rarely a good idea to advise people not to report something they find questionable - that means that if it was indeed a ToS violation, the original violator goes unpunished and any other bystanders may mistakenly believe that these things are not ToS violations. On the contrary, there is no harm for reporting something that doesn't turn out to be a violation (unless the reports aren't made in good faith, such as spamming reports) so it behooves all users to report more, rather than less.

User Image

I''m sorry but I really do not see the big deal in that comment. But that is just me. And seeing that she only commented once I wouldn't called it harassment. At beast she is trying to get a raise out of the user but it's so baby-ish.

But whatever. If a real mod decides to quote me I will most likely believe it. So far regular users have been quoting me with opinions. But like I said I, myself would not report it because I wouldn't take it seriously since it's so poorly worded.

And no offense but you did not just say it is not against the rules to say mean things? I think the comment falls under that. It's mean but not so much as reportable. Doesn't look ban worthy or even warning worthy unless she was actively harassing which I fail to see. Looks like she just had the time to say that and went on her marry way.

Shameless Nerd

Lashuri Chan

So essentially even though she just told you she's a former mod, you are saying you don't believe her? This is taken directly from the ToS :
Quote:
4. Prohibited Conduct -- BY USING GAIA ONLINE YOU AGREE not TO:

11. intentionally interfere with the operation of Gaia Online or any Member's enjoyment of it, including intentionally posting inflammatory statements to get a reaction "Trolling"

And this is from the Rules & Guidelines :
Quote:
Interacting with Other Users on Gaia:

4.No Trolling: Posting material that is inflammatory or intended solely to offend or provoke other members is called 'trolling', and is not permitted.

Regardless of whether it was just one comment or if you think it's childish, it still counts as harassment by Gaia's definition. It needs to be reported so that the mods can determine the seriousness of it and take proper action.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff