Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
::Edit at the bottom of this post::

Alright, the details aren't final yet, but I know what I am going to do with my fish hoard.

I don't use Gaia any more, but I have enough fish to make a hundred rare fish easily.
Gaiden once said I had more fish than anyone on Gaia.
I am tired of these fish just being hoarded on my inactive account.

I have thought about what to do; charity etc helping with quests... I've already helped some of my closest Gaia friends.

I want to give the rest back to you.
I want to hold a Fishing Contest, similar to what the Annual Fishing Contest is.

100 mil gold top prize; literally near a million (and a half!) fish of all types to be given out, including rares of all types.

User Image

------------------------------

So far there has been a lot of suggestions for both filtering contests and really short normal contests taking place early in the month when the board may be of help.

Main things I need ideas for now will be 'security.' IE making sure the contest is as honest as possible.
More ideas of possible contest types are always good though.

Tipsy Streaker

7,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Guildmember 100
  • Millionaire 200
I'm not necessarily a "Top Fisher," as I've only earned three trophies total (Bronze Gambino, Silver Gambino, and SIlver Junk), but I think your idea to hold a contest similar to the annual fishing contest is a good one because it spreads the winnings out more rather than dumping them all to one person (the OA idea). One reason why the "annual" is best in my opinion is because the actual "annual fishing contest" is just that, annual. It only comes around once a year. It would be fun to see fishers competing like they have been this month in other months as well. I don't know how much fish you have, but maybe you could hold multiple contest so it basically makes the annual contest into three or four more contests, bridging them into next year's contest. I think this would hype the Gaia Fishing Community up enough that they would want to fish more often even when there isn't a big contest to win every month, but only the regular monthly trophy collection.

Just a thought. Thanks for listening,
Keebs (A.K, A. "Old Geezer smile

7,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
The Oldest of Men
I'm not necessarily a "Top Fisher," as I've only earned three trophies total (Bronze Gambino, Silver Gambino, and SIlver Junk), but I think your idea to hold a contest similar to the annual fishing contest is a good one because it spreads the winnings out more rather than dumping them all to one person (the OA idea). One reason why the "annual" is best in my opinion is because the actual "annual fishing contest" is just that, annual. It only comes around once a year. It would be fun to see fishers competing like they have been this month in other months as well. I don't know how much fish you have, but maybe you could hold multiple contest so it basically makes the annual contest into three or four more contests, bridging them into next year's contest. I think this would hype the Gaia Fishing Community up enough that they would want to fish more often even when there isn't a big contest to win every month, but only the regular monthly trophy collection.

Just a thought. Thanks for listening,
Keebs (A.K, A. "Old Geezer smile

Well I didn't want the thread filled with a bunch of people who have barley fished. You are more than qualified.

I don't know about splitting it up, only because I don't want to find myself addicted to Gaia again, lol. Maybe I could split it in half, that wouldn't be so bad.

I think I would like to have some prizes that NON top end fishers can win as well, but I would love to see some top fishers really strive for a huge top prize.
That said, I cannot make it the same as the annual contest exactly, because I don't know any way I can actually judge per fish caught like Gaia can itself. Unless there is some new way to monitor this I don't know about. I don't want to have to worry about people photo-shopping their invos or anything.

7,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
I uploaded an invo pic to give the idea. There are also 30 Rares not pictured.

4,200 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Champion 300
  • Member 100
My feeling is that top fishers can already win the monthly competitions, but what about holding a competition that gives a chance to those who can't devote an entire month and can't make it to the top of the scoreboard?

Something like a filtering competition maybe, where the amount of time required is limited, and competitors need to do their best within an alloted amount of time or number of buckets fished. That's one idea anyway.

Pro Kitten

37,600 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
I'm definitely a fan of competitions that are more about skill than having a whole month free.

Working full time makes it almost impossible for me to even considering doing anything serious with fishing. And having a very active social life makes it even harder. But I'd be willing to ignore my friends for a week for a bit of fishing fun.

[Jaye]'s Wife

My vote's also on the skill competition. ninja

Bloodthirsty Man-Lover

Fishing Skillz > Sitting at a computer for a month wishing you hadn't decided to dedicate a month to one thing

EDIT: Also I added them all up. It's not nearly 1 million.... it's nearly 1.5 million

Grand total of all fish: 1,492,567 fish. lol

Kydden's Husband

Fatcat

What they said. ^

Time, is hard to come by now a days. Aside from that, awarding prizes unconventionally sounds like an interesting idea. It'll make competing fun and strategic too! : )

I totally just want to eat up all your fish. :V

Friendly Gaian

I tottaly agree with the skill competition. Like Bria did with the extreme filtering contest, I miss that one crying

7,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
Alright, that's pretty unanimous opinion towards a skill based tourney, which I can completely get behind.

So two questions remain; what kind of skill should we be looking for? And when should I hold it?

Filtering is awesome, but I don't know what all I can monitor. I want to keep the possibility of cheating down to a bare minimum, but I think having to use mules like the tournies Bria hosted back when I fished would limit the amount of people that can participate.

I need to get more familiar with Acorn's portal (thanks MurdocFaust) and see what all can be tracked. Or see if a mod or someone that can peer behind the curtain wants to help determine winners.

Shirlox

EDIT: Also I added them all up. It's not nearly 1 million.... it's nearly 1.5 million

Lol, now I'm going to need to buy 10k fish just to hit the mark
To do a skill based competition it will be almost entirely dependent on getting a mod to help. The only problem with that is the amount of time it will take said mod to sort through all the data, which will easily be a monumental task. Another way however would be to set up set times throughout a month, a few hours in duration for example, and get volunteers to make fishing rooms where participants can join and have their fishing monitored by these volunteers. It would have to be a much more short term type contest however due to the time it would take all the volunteers, as well as spread out multiple days to give everyone a chance to participate. My issue with a short term skill based contest is that skill plays minimally in short bursts when you don't have time to obtain a consistant average. We've all had those buckets that take 15+ minutes to filter and still have no large fish in them, as well as those buckets where you don't have to filter at all and you get 6 large. That being the case I would highly object to short term due to luck of getting a good bucket having the potential to skew results to such a strong degree.

The only contest I can think of that requires skill, can be monitored without physically watching people fish nor having a mod sift through massive amounts of data, is have people get on the Overall board with a perfect PI, as in only large fish (PI of 1.75-1.80). This can be easily monitored through Portal, or even the official score board for anyone who has a calculator. The problem would then become what the rules/guidelines need to be for prizes and what not.

Regardless, any contest held that is based on skill that can not be seen based on the scoreboards will require a massive amount of monitoring by all those involved in judging/ensuring there is no cheating going on.

Friendly Gaian

Shiletimis

The only contest I can think of that requires skill, can be monitored without physically watching people fish nor having a mod sift through massive amounts of data, is have people get on the Overall board with a perfect PI, as in only large fish (PI of 1.75-1.80). This can be easily monitored through Portal, or even the official score board for anyone who has a calculator. The problem would then become what the rules/guidelines need to be for prizes and what not.

That was my idea for another attempt to break my PI record two months ago xD

Pro Kitten

37,600 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
If you do it at the beginning of the month you can do a PI based scoring system.

One thing Dreadfulboy used to do is have you take a screenshot of your fishing stats at the beginning of the month. He ignored the junk so he just had people take a screenshot of their Monthly section. But you could also have them take a screenshot of the whole thing.

Usually people also end up being in the top 50 during the beginning of the month in these competitions so you can more easily verify their reported scores at the end.

That way you could also have multiple lakes options over even do overall competitions.

Edit: of course you will probably also want to add a minimum fish caught and maximum fish caught to it. So that people have a specific range to focus on.

Conservative Genius

10,400 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Marathon 300
skill competition would be sick

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers