Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Businesswoman

6,350 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Wall Street 200
1) I was born and raised in the country (middle of nowhere) side of town. Overall the population as of 2012 is 16400 people.

2) It had almost no effect on who I am today. What made me who I am today was my family grandparents, sister, mom, brothers, pets, and my stepdad. I consider pets part of family because we take care of them and we protect them, myself I do anything to make sure they are okay espcially if they are my favourite breed, the pitbull.

3) The town and state itself had no saying. If the town had its own saying it would be "Home of Nicholas Sheley" and if the state had its own saying it would be "Home of Some of the Most DUI's".

4) I was mutual on how I felt.

5) I've never moved in my time but starting July 25th of 2013 I'll be moved out of the state I'm in now. But to be honest I like the new place where I'll be moving better than I do here

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
I lived in quite a few cities before I turned 12 because my mom moved around a lot (and she liked to live close to her job, so if she got a job in a particular city, she would move to or close to that city). I don't remember anything about my hometown because all I ever did was traveled from home to school using the same path and that's it.

But the city I lived in since the age of 12 up until now (I'm currently living up north for university) is pretty much known as "the Bubble". If you look it up on UD, it's the first definition there.

Noob

I grew up in Mississauga/Toronto. Mississauga has about 700-800k people, whereas Toronto has about 3 million. I used to love Mississauga more because it was smaller, and I felt more known. People would recognize people. In Toronto people don't really note each other. You pay for your s**t and go.
I didn't really like living in Toronto. It was too dangerous and scary. We'd play manhunt in laneways and between townhouses with only streetlights. In Mississauga we had space to actually play, like big yards and parks with grass.
So moving from Mississauga to Toronto was a big difference, and I didn't enjoy it. But they both had their ups and downs I guess.

Dapper Dabbler

10,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
I don't really know where you would say I "grew up".
3 towns, one middleish sized town in Northern VA, one middle of ******** nowhere one horse town in AL, and one small sized military town in AL.
I don't know if any of them had/have sayings..
Oh look, google!
Town 1: population ~ 28,000
Town 2: population ~700
Town 3: population ~ 17,000
I like to think that the five or so years of my early life spent in VA helped to introduce me to more open minded people than those I met in town 2. I also don't have as strong an accent as I would have if I had lived my whole life in the south.

Original Wrangler

a small town in northern california,
most of the people suck here
but the seclusion, friendly neighbors, and beauty are well worth it.
i am def going to die here xD

Perfect Citizen

What kinda town did you grow up in?
I grew up in an area called the Sunshine Coast, Queensland. It was basically a strip of towns along a main road/highway next to the sea. It's hard to tell where one town ends and another starts. It was always very busy. Theres so many beaches its great for people who like to surf... not so much for people who dont like water. My parents built a house in a new area and didn't do much besides work so I was kinda sheltered.

How does it effect who you are today?
I feel I'm a very boring person. The area my parents built our house in was a new estate at the time in the middle of nowhere. I wasn't allowed to take the bus into town and everything was too far to walk. I had to rely on my parents a lot. Of course it's a bustling little area now, but 10 years ago it was a deadzone.

Did your town have a dumb saying?
I can't remember the town having one, but I kind of remember my schools one.

Do you like where you grew up?
It's a nice area. I wouldn't go back because they are having a lack of work crisis, and I have too much family there.

Did you have to move somewhere completely different? If so how was that?
I moved to a small mining town in the Pilbara, Western Australia when I was 15 because of dads work. That's was a culture shock and a half. Completely different. Hot, dry, basically a desert. The people were different too. Feral almost. Everyone was on drugs, having sex or drunk. A lot of teenage pregnancies. Apparently the town holds the national record for abortions, just to give you an idea. I didn't like it until I graduated highschool. I never felt like I fit in, until I moved out of my parents and started living my own life. I never did the drug scene, or anything, but partying and pubs are big up there. You work to live, spend all the money at the pub, then go back to work. I actually kinda miss it.

Enduring Codger

Travelled a lot due to a military background.

Nomadic by nature. After about three years in one stop it's time to move.

No idea, I didn't speak the language.

Very much.

Yes, but I liked moving; it was an adventure every time.
What kinda town did you grow up in? I grew up in a suburb of Dallas. We called it the bubble, because it was relatively affluent and very safe. Most people I grew up with had somewhat sheltered upbringings, and I had a lot of teachers in high school tell us we were living in a bubble.

How does it effect who you are today? I think I got the best of both worlds- I'm still a Texan at heart and love my state and city, but I grew up in such a diverse and progressive area. There was none of the racism you always hear people talking about, and there were a lot of very forward thinking people in my community. I basically ended up a liberal despite growing up in a red state, and I think it's made me very well balanced. I was also afforded a lot of opportunities, because even though my family didn't have a lot of money, the community was sort of rich so we have good schools and the like. It's also made me feel really at home in big cities, and even suburbs.

Did your town have a dumb saying? Not that I remember.

Do you like where you grew up? I did. I was ready to get out of there for college, and I was ready to leave the midwest entirely after college, but I still love my hometown. It was a really great place to grow up. I don't think I'd ever move back there, but I would certainly consider moving back into the Dallas area, preferably the North Dallas area. It would be nice to be close to my mom.

Did you have to move somewhere completely different? If so how was that? Yes! I went to college in Oklahoma City. I enjoyed my time there, but I was so ready to leave Oklahoma after graduation. More conservative than I like. I then moved about an hour north of Santa Barbara for a year, and now I live in LA. I LOVED living on the central coast. The beach was 20 minutes away, wine tasting 30 minutes. The whole area was beautiful, and was not nearly as expensive as other areas of Cali. I enjoy the abundance of farmer's markets, vegetarian restaurants, etc out here. LA I like, but the city might be a little too big for my taste. I'd like to get a good, solid job elsewhere, but until then this is as good a place to be, plus I have friends here. I just get tired of dealing with traffic all the damn time. If I settle here, I'll probably move into either Burbank or Pasadena.

Greedy Giver

I grew up in a small city surrounded by giant condos and gated communities but the city I was in was populated with poor people so they all acted really superficial and prefended they were rich and looked down on me cuz I never did (my parent's didn't, their's did, because who your parents were was actually an important thing there rolleyes

now I don't put up with fake-a** people

when I was 13 I moved to a teeny-tiny little close-knit community where I was only initially accepted because my half-brother had ties there
my entire 4 years of highschool was in this tiny town, went from a class of 380+ to SEVEN. the entire school was K-12, 64 kids (less and less each year since I moved there)
I really loved it, my teachers gave a ********, my peers didn't all have gold-painted sticks shoved up their asses, everyone was chill and laid-back, down to earth
that had a much larger affect on who I became than that shithole town I came from, but I still carry a rock with me from my hometown so I remember the s**t I've risin out of lol
no, more like reminding me how materialism will never bring me happiness

anyway, I dunno what their saying is, but heres their rock:
User Image
(its a Petoskey stone)

Questionable Sex Symbol

11,625 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
I grew up in the capital city of my state.

I'm a lot more open to new cultures and people than my cousins who grew up miles and miles out in the country.

Not really.

I love it! I love that I can get so much amazing food, arts and music almost in my backyard. I literally live in the best city in the midwest.

N/A

Questionable Sex Symbol

I grew up in a quaint little suburb called Ramtown, located in Howell, New Jersey.
It was about 15 minutes from Seaside heights, where Jersey Shore is filmed. New Jersey wasn't over-run by guidos at the time, but there were quite a few of them.
I thought it was a nice innocent little town, but looking back on it, everyone's mom was sleeping with everyone's dad or one of the teachers...
It may have actually been a little like Jersey Shore, I don't remember. I moved to Florida when I was 13.

Idk, lol.
I think it effected me positively, because the Florida school system sucks.
I started school here in 8th grade and I was one of the few students who had taken a foreign language class and knew how to write in cursive.

"The best place in Jersey to get rammed"
Just kidding, I don't remember.

Yes, very much so.
In fact, I wouldn't mind going back there.

Yup, I went from a small suburb next to a busy street in Jersey to a gated community in the good area of South Florida.
My family is middle class, but the bad economy and sudden influx of people moving to New Jersey allowed us to move somewhere nice.

Interesting Citizen

I grew up in West Allis, WI (part of Milwaukee)

So I'm very partial to city life now. I mean, living in a quiet sub-division practically in the middle of nowhere is kind of nice, but I miss how everything was so close together and how diverse the community was.
It was kind of a messed up place to live and through the years has been getting more and more run-down, but I had friends there, and I was getting to know the area pretty well before my parents made us move. I miss being able to walk to the library when I got fed-up with being at home.</3

Enduring Genius

6,000 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
I din't. sweatdrop

Enduring Phantom

I grew up in Boulder, CO. It's a college town. The dumb saying is "Keep Boulder Weird" or "5000 square feet surrounded by reality."

I live in Denver now, where everyone isn't a rich white person. It's different for sure.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff