Welcome to Gaia! ::

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Old Blue Collar Joe
Kaiser Khorosho
The thing I'm worried about is that they'd be untraceable, wouldn't they? It just takes one guy to start making 1-2 shot guns. Imagine ten years from now when they improve materials and printers become cheap? If bills pass saying that ANYTHING you print is private, what's to stop someone from printing guns and selling them out of their garage? Sure, its not going to affect S&W but we'll probably see an increase gang violence, or at least a higher percentage of unsolved crimes.

It is already ILLEGAL to manufacture firearms for the purpose of selling them without an FFL. Thus, the only people you have to worry about doing that are the ones who don't follow nor obey the law anyway.
This thing might be reasonably accurate to five feet, and that is probably pushing it.

That's what I mean selling them illegally. Still, to your point earlier on (and in my thread about this subject a few weeks ago) that the other "real" guns will still outsell these by a long shot, at least now. In a decade or so, who knows?

The real thing that scares me is the disposable nature of the guns and potential untraceability of them. Or hell, if someone put the specs of a gun online, it could potentially set up a gun with the guts and signature of another gun, bringing in a potential frame for someone. Hell, that sounds like the plot to a future CSI episode... sweatdrop
Kaiser Khorosho
Old Blue Collar Joe
Kaiser Khorosho
The thing I'm worried about is that they'd be untraceable, wouldn't they? It just takes one guy to start making 1-2 shot guns. Imagine ten years from now when they improve materials and printers become cheap? If bills pass saying that ANYTHING you print is private, what's to stop someone from printing guns and selling them out of their garage? Sure, its not going to affect S&W but we'll probably see an increase gang violence, or at least a higher percentage of unsolved crimes.

It is already ILLEGAL to manufacture firearms for the purpose of selling them without an FFL. Thus, the only people you have to worry about doing that are the ones who don't follow nor obey the law anyway.
This thing might be reasonably accurate to five feet, and that is probably pushing it.

That's what I mean selling them illegally. Still, to your point earlier on (and in my thread about this subject a few weeks ago) that the other "real" guns will still outsell these by a long shot, at least now. In a decade or so, who knows?

The real thing that scares me is the disposable nature of the guns and potential untraceability of them. Or hell, if someone put the specs of a gun online, it could potentially set up a gun with the guts and signature of another gun, bringing in a potential frame for someone. Hell, that sounds like the plot to a future CSI episode... sweatdrop

Put the specs of a gun online? You're kidding, right? You can download the specs for pretty much any type of firearm you want, and, with less invested than in that damn printer, buy the mill and lathe set up to manufacture firearms in your ******** garage.
Those specs are already on line.

Lonely Sex Symbol

7,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Brandisher 100
ninja Now I wonder what else they are going to print...

Dangerous Citizen

6,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
We Are Organisms
propaganda
it has ******** metal parts

Indeed it does, like springs and barrels. The main part being printed is the receiver. Obviously it's not going to withstand a 30 round burst, but at semi auto you might get a whole 3 - 20 shots off before it breaks.

Geared Spirit

Welcome to the United Police States of America:
The US State department has requested Defense Distributed remove the plans for the Liberator from their website.

So not only does the US Government not give two ******** for the right to bear arms, it gives even less ******** about the freedom of information. How do Americans put up with a government that will allow their soldiers to be killed for 'freedoms' the government will not allow it's citizens to enjoy?
When is enough enough? What will it take for US citizens to realize their government is stripping their freedoms away one at a time? What freedom is next? Due process? Suffrage? Wake up America, it'll start with them taking your freedom and end with them taking your lives.

Lavish Millionaire

10,675 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Tycoon 200
Hoyt Volker v2

Buckely is my hero heart

Big Borg

Nyadriel
Someone has already proposed a ban on those. Stay tuned.
And it already passed.

Welcome to Obama's America

Geared Spirit

Jeremy Kaji
We Are Organisms
propaganda

Indeed it does, like springs and barrels. The main part being printed is the receiver. Obviously it's not going to withstand a 30 round burst, but at semi auto you might get a whole 3 - 20 shots off before it breaks.

Do you even know which gun you are talking about? We are talking about the Liberator, both the barrel(s) and the springs are plastic, the only metal bits are the firing pin, a 6 oz. steel slug (to make the gun detectable, according to law) and the .380 round in the chamber.
Do not confuse the Liberator with the lower receiver and clips printed for the AR-15 and AK-47. Those are merely PoC pieces designed to allow Defense Distributed to apply for a FFL as a firearms manufacturer. FYI The printed AR and AK parts do not break easily, and there are plenty of video showing semi- and full auto firing many more than 3-20 rounds.

Geared Spirit

red-tala9
Hoyt Volker v2

Buckely is my hero heart

Buckley is an idiot. All the points he attempts to make have already been made about steel firearms. Schoolkids are not going to own a gun-capable 3D printer. The 3D printer from Staples will not be able to produce the gun, it's extrusion head cannot properly print the material required to make said weapon to tolerance.
If someone is going to shoot someone at school, it will not be with a multi thousand dollar
printed plastic gun, it will be with Mom or Dad's unsecured Remington/Colt/Ruger/Smith and Wesson.
Defense Distributed did not make the Liberator so anyone can make one, they made it to prove that the government will try it's hardest to stifle anything it cannot control directly. The puppets in Washington set out to ban said weapon before it was ever finished, not because of the fact it was a gun, not for the fact that it was plastic, but because of the fact it was a free and radically open concept that showed the world that tangible goods could be made without profit, patents, copyrights and taxation
Essentially they see revenue slipping away, and the loss of money and control makes the government very nervous.

Scarlet Blossoms
Now I wonder what else they are going to print...

This is the exact thinking Defense Distributed had in mind when pursuing the 3D printed gun. If you can make a gun, what else can you make? The answer is 'just about anything'. which is why the government has moved to control the very information about it

Dangerous Citizen

6,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
Spiritual Machine
Jeremy Kaji
We Are Organisms
propaganda

Do you even know which gun you are talking about? We are talking about the Liberator, both the barrel(s) and the springs are plastic, the only metal bits are the firing pin, a 6 oz. steel slug (to make the gun detectable, according to law) and the .380 round in the chamber.
Do not confuse the Liberator with the lower receiver and clips printed for the AR-15 and AK-47. Those are merely PoC pieces designed to allow Defense Distributed to apply for a FFL as a firearms manufacturer. FYI The printed AR and AK parts do not break easily, and there are plenty of video showing semi- and full auto firing many more than 3-20 rounds.

I understand that Spiritual one, I was making a joke because I have been watching these sort of videos early on due to curiosity. Watching them make an AR-15 (AKA Civilian M-16) receiver and it breaking during testing. I understand that the newer things are coming out much stronger and capable.
My question is... I wonder how the balance of the gun changes without the 6 oz steel slug in it... Not that I plan to carry such a thing on a plane or into any other protected facility. just plain curiosity.

Lavish Millionaire

10,675 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Tycoon 200
Spiritual Machine
red-tala9
Hoyt Volker v2

Buckely is my hero heart

Buckley is an idiot. All the points he attempts to make have already been made about steel firearms. Schoolkids are not going to own a gun-capable 3D printer. The 3D printer from Staples will not be able to produce the gun, it's extrusion head cannot properly print the material required to make said weapon to tolerance.
If someone is going to shoot someone at school, it will not be with a multi thousand dollar
printed plastic gun, it will be with Mom or Dad's unsecured Remington/Colt/Ruger/Smith and Wesson.
Defense Distributed did not make the Liberator so anyone can make one, they made it to prove that the government will try it's hardest to stifle anything it cannot control directly. The puppets in Washington set out to ban said weapon before it was ever finished, not because of the fact it was a gun, not for the fact that it was plastic, but because of the fact it was a free and radically open concept that showed the world that tangible goods could be made without profit, patents, copyrights and taxation
Essentially they see revenue slipping away, and the loss of money and control makes the government very nervous.

Scarlet Blossoms
Now I wonder what else they are going to print...

This is the exact thinking Defense Distributed had in mind when pursuing the 3D printed gun. If you can make a gun, what else can you make? The answer is 'just about anything'. which is why the government has moved to control the very information about it

umm chill

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces