Welcome to Gaia! ::

4,475 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
I really like lolita but I personally like flowier kinds of clothes. So I was just wondering, if I were to wear a lolita dress/skirt without a petticoat, would it give it more of a relaxed kind of look or would it just look weird and saggy?

As you can probably tell, I'm kinda new at this so sorry if it's a bit of a silly question.

Profitable Businessman

Petticoats are a must for me. It's one of those things that I see as essential to lolita because lolita has such a specific shape, that without one I no longer see it as lolita. There are other J-fashion styles that use more flowy things, like mori, aristo, cult party kei, otome and dolly kei. You might be interested in those.

Fashionable Gawker

Some Casual Lolita don't wear petticoats, or wear less full ones. So basically what you're describing wink Classic lolita doesn't require the cupcake shape so just one A-line petti usually works just fine for me. Those two and Country are generally the most lenient about the cupcake/bell shape requirement http://hellolace.net/styles/casual
It seriously depends on the cut of the skirt. Try it and see how you like it because some will look better than others.

Sugary Bunny

19,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Signature Look 250
Depends on the style your wearing, you may get away with it with classic, guro, and more subtle styles like that but with anything OTT, sweet, country and the likes it'll just look like a sad dress. sad

HimeKeesho's Wife

I don't know.. because lolita is all about having a bell like shaped skirt or dress so I think petticoats are a must but every lolita is different so he/she can do whatever they like.

Questionable Conversationalist

Lolita has a lot to do with the silhouette of the outfit, which includes the petticoats to get that often bell shaped skirt look. If you weren't wearing your dresses with a petticoat, you would probably get flack for choosing not to wear one, but that's worst case social scenario. I only worry now that because lolita clothing, at least most, is made with the assumption that you'll be wearing a petticoat, the skirts and dresses might look too droopy and baggy if you didn't wear one. The droopiness could cause it to look ill-fitting and ill-fitted clothing in general is mostly a negative.

HOWEVER, if you don't want to wear a petticoat you go right ahead and do what you want! Just know that there could be some who take issue with it. On the other hand, you could also just look for outfits that stray from the poofy skirt look. Like I know Infanta has some dresses and skirts that don't quite all adhere strictly with the usual puffy lolita silhouette, such as

Infanta Country Story Anne of Green Gables Two Piece Dress
Infanta Spring Fragrance Ballet Shoe Long JSK
Infanta Country Story Anne of Green Gables Long Skirt
A well suited petticoat would still make these look nicer but the longer looks may be more forgiving to going without a petticoat if you so choose.

Or more alternatively, instead of trying and hoping you can pull off lolita without petticoats, you could just try to find more vintage clothing or look for lolita inspired clothing?

Wheezing Fatcat

8,150 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Team Jacob 100
Depends on the style, dearie.

I'll be making a dress myself soon that won't have a petticoat.

4,475 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Ooh thanks guys!

I don't really mind if people don't consider it "real lolita" 'cause I'm not specifically trying for a lolita look.

I shall now lurk through the links and I guess look for simpler styles. Yay! biggrin

4,475 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Milady Alluca
Lolita has a lot to do with the silhouette of the outfit, which includes the petticoats to get that often bell shaped skirt look. If you weren't wearing your dresses with a petticoat, you would probably get flack for choosing not to wear one, but that's worst case social scenario. I only worry now that because lolita clothing, at least most, is made with the assumption that you'll be wearing a petticoat, the skirts and dresses might look too droopy and baggy if you didn't wear one. The droopiness could cause it to look ill-fitting and ill-fitted clothing in general is mostly a negative.

HOWEVER, if you don't want to wear a petticoat you go right ahead and do what you want! Just know that there could be some who take issue with it. On the other hand, you could also just look for outfits that stray from the poofy skirt look. Like I know Infanta has some dresses and skirts that don't quite all adhere strictly with the usual puffy lolita silhouette, such as

Infanta Country Story Anne of Green Gables Two Piece Dress
Infanta Spring Fragrance Ballet Shoe Long JSK
Infanta Country Story Anne of Green Gables Long Skirt
A well suited petticoat would still make these look nicer but the longer looks may be more forgiving to going without a petticoat if you so choose.

Or more alternatively, instead of trying and hoping you can pull off lolita without petticoats, you could just try to find more vintage clothing or look for lolita inspired clothing?

Oh my gosh that all white one is so pretty! :O I think I may have found a dream dress right here...

Kandi Em
Oh my gosh that all white one is so pretty! :O I think I may have found a dream dress right here...

I really adore Infanta for some reason, and the long JSK is one of my dream dresses too ouo
I'd so get it if I wasn't already spending a lot for petticoats and the Infanta Black Sugary Vest JSK ;~;
I definitely recommend checking the rest of the Infanta section on Clobba, and the other brands too since there may be pieces you like c:
Qutieland also has a lot more products, you may find other flowy pieces like the Ballet Shoe JSK :>

4,475 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Milady Alluca
Kandi Em

I really adore Infanta for some reason, and the long JSK is one of my dream dresses too ouo
I'd so get it if I wasn't already spending a lot for petticoats and the Infanta Black Sugary Vest JSK ;~;
I definitely recommend checking the rest of the Infanta section on Clobba, and the other brands too since there may be pieces you like c:
Qutieland also has a lot more products, you may find other flowy pieces like the Ballet Shoe JSK :>

Oh thank you so much! I now know what I'm going to spend the rest of my night doing haha. For some reason, I can never find these sites. Google has not been very nice to me I suppose.

Kandi Em
Milady Alluca
Kandi Em

Oh thank you so much! I now know what I'm going to spend the rest of my night doing haha. For some reason, I can never find these sites. Google has not been very nice to me I suppose.

No problem, just happy to help, even if just providing links :3 (Speaking of if you haven't seen it yet you might like the Classical Puppets dress Romanticism Long JSK, it's similar to the other white one and I want it just as much haha) Qutieland has more than Clobba does but also charges more, so if you can find something you really want on Clobba I would suggest trying to get it there first. The process isn't too difficult and if you ever do want an explanation of how it works just message me, I'm in the process of ordering something from the site just this week so I'll have an idea of how it all works soon enough :'3
And yes, links can be a little hard to come by, I can give you the other two links I have though. I'm not very familiar with the Taobao sites and shopping services so I only kept note of websites that were in English and that I could understand and were simply <x'D

Bodyline - Has the reputation as the Walmart of lolita but there are some cute pieces there and the prices are generally alright for what they are and it's better than wasting money on some random site that might be a milanoo puppet. Just click send to overseas for the English portion of the site to start browsing c:
Fan Plus Friend - Another on the cheaper side site, but it's not all bad and they have a very large selection and various styles, you just need to look around~
I've also heard that Rakuten can have some good clothes, but I'm not familiar with any more sites. You can try browsing Etsy as well for lolita and lolita inspired clothes, or if you like them for their general look you can also just search Victorian, or vintage, or things like that :> That's how I found three vintage blouses to eventually pair up with my new JSK.
I believe it would be fine, I guess it really depends on what the dress was structured like.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff