Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Shapeshifter

J 4 C K
The Master of Dragons
I don't think how I dress affects how people interpret my words... or at least I hope not.

I tend to use emotes when I want to convey a certain tone though my words. My avatar is just something I like to dress up to look awesome.

emotion_dealwithit

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

So you're saying that if presidential candidates showed up to a debate in jeans and a t-shirt, there would be no negative assumptions about their messages?

Of course how you dress changes what people think. Nobody want's to admit to thinking that way though.

Obviously though, I don't apply. I'd have to pay attention to other people to be affected by their looks

I was talking about on Gaia, but okay.

Although, admittedly, I do tend to judge people based on how they dress. If they dress like a rally-f**, then I'll automatically assume they're an idiot rally-f**.

Most of the time, that's how it is, but not always.

Perfect Pumpkin

The Master of Dragons
J 4 C K
The Master of Dragons
I don't think how I dress affects how people interpret my words... or at least I hope not.

I tend to use emotes when I want to convey a certain tone though my words. My avatar is just something I like to dress up to look awesome.

emotion_dealwithit

So you're saying that if presidential candidates showed up to a debate in jeans and a t-shirt, there would be no negative assumptions about their messages?

Of course how you dress changes what people think. Nobody want's to admit to thinking that way though.

Obviously though, I don't apply. I'd have to pay attention to other people to be affected by their looks

I was talking about on Gaia, but okay.

Although, admittedly, I do tend to judge people based on how they dress. If they dress like a rally-f**, then I'll automatically assume they're an idiot rally-f**.

Most of the time, that's how it is, but not always.

An image of yourself is an image of yourself, regardless.

Questionable Mage

I admire certain avatars artistically, but it's a separate matter from their post content. Same as irl, really. Beautiful people can become ugly through their personality and vice versa.

Werewolf

The same way people are judged for their appearance in the real world, they're judged for their appearance online.
Avatars, signatures, fonts. It's human nature.
I don't change my avatar. I like to build up a consistent image. It's just up to you all to interpret it.
It's a cosplay avatar, so I only care for people who can recognize it. To the rest he would probably look like a moderately cheap everyday guy with a random snake...

Rainbow Noob

The people saying they judge people's fandoms by their 'tars are makin' me wanna cosplay mine as something I don't like. Just to keep people on their toes. e____e
I'm not a Homestuck, I'm my own original character, Candicormicorns the Grey.

Ryxios
raspberry gateaux
In the past, I have had people assume things about me based on my avatar. Mostly that I'm like way cooler or more intelligent than I actually am. Always sucks to let 'em down. :B

That's adorable, ohohoho.

's friggin' awkward, mang. "ACTUALLY I'M A BIT DULL, I JUST MAKE KINDA OKAY AVATARS SOMETIMES, BUT THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION."
gonk

Kawaii Nerd

13,000 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Timid 100
Not gonna lie, I'm incredibly judgmental when it comes to avatars on gaia. I'm not gonna go into specifics because I don't want to get anyone angry, but certain types of avatars make me immediately think certain things about a person. Oh, hell, you all probably know what types I'm talking about.

I try to keep those judgements from affecting how I deal with people too much, but I really can't say myself how well I do so. SHRUG.

Sexy Exhibitionist

13,125 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Gender Swap 100
Ummmmm YES. People judge you on your avatar all the time. When i was a newbie posting round the forums, i knew people first looked at my posts, then my avatar and probably thought....wait that doesn't match up. Usually new people can't type worth a damn, so having coherent posts and then seeing my avi in all of it's newb wonder, probably threw some people for a loop XP. I wouldn't blame them, i do it all the time too.

I remember one time, i was exploring towns and wearing my newb swag and people didn't talk to me because of it. Now, on the rare occasions when i go to VH or towns people are more inclined to talk to me. I don't know if it's because of my avi's appearance, but i wouldn't be surprised if it was.

I've put this to the test; where i go into a town in newb get up, wait a few minutes to see if anyone will chat with me. If I don't get chatted up, I go to the next town, change my avi and go back to the previous town, boom I get chatted up. It's a wondrous thing really.....

I don't know if i'd go so far as to say my avi was "victomized" here, but one time in VH I was called a (forgive my use of a rather unpleasant word) black ******, because of my elf skin. Some peoples children don't know how to be nice even online

~Eva

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I know people judge on avatars, but I don't. I appreciate a nice avatar as much as the next person, but I'm always very happy to chat to users in starter clothing or an avatar that's personally unappealing to me if they have something interesting to say. Frankly, I find people with simpler avatars are more likely to be friendly- those with nicer avatars tend to have a bee in their butts and often assume you want to chat with them to milk an item or gold from them.

I have, however, been "victimized" based on my avatar. I typically wear my Horns of the Demon because they're one of my favorite items for sentimental reasons. I had paired them with a few other "flashy" items (I guess?) and I was wandering around towns. Someone who I'd never met before walked up to me and started berating me for being a "rude showoff" and a "Gaian elitist" because I happened to be wearing nicer items... which was strange because they'd never before spoken to me D'X I generally consider myself pretty humble so I thought it was kind of bizarre... I'll never understand why people think it's appropriate to judge an individual based solely on their ability to gain stupid pixel items.

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Evalinna
I don't know if i'd go so far as to say my avi was "victomized" here, but one time in VH I was called a (forgive my use of a rather unpleasant word) black ******, because of my elf skin. Some peoples children don't know how to be nice even online

The same thing happened to me once in the GD, since my avi typically has darker skin. Most people know better than to use racist slurs IRL, so it's a complete mystery why people (no matter their age) would consider that appropriate on Gaia D'X

Apocalyptic Warrior

27,375 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle Hardened 150
An age ago I had someone dismiss my entire argument because my avatar was wearing a black bra, net top and matching skirt. what they said was something to the effect of "How do you expect me to believe what you say when you're dressed like a whore?"
Yeah, because avatar = real life dress sense. You'd never catch me in a net top and short skirt IRL. And dress sense has anything to do with a well structured and well informed adult rebuttal? (It happened in the ED)
I think i got very upset and angry over such a shallow opinion and gave a very undignified response. This was way back in '04-'05 when there wasn't half as much stuff to use as there is now and the net top and goth skirt thing was 'cool'.

Sexy Exhibitionist

13,125 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Gender Swap 100
wonderfinch
Evalinna

The same thing happened to me once in the GD, since my avi typically has darker skin. Most people know better than to use racist slurs IRL, so it's a complete mystery why people (no matter their age) would consider that appropriate on Gaia D'X

>< i hate the GD, it's a scary place...
I don't know why people use slurs on here; i mean i suppose you could argue it's online, so what's it matter. But on the other hand if you're a decent human offline, that would carry over online....maybe i'm just being optimistic lol.

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Evalinna
>< i hate the GD, it's a scary place...
I don't know why people use slurs on here; i mean i suppose you could argue it's online, so what's it matter. But on the other hand if you're a decent human offline, that would carry over online....maybe i'm just being optimistic lol.

I don't care for it, either, but this was a long time ago before it kind of went to crap X'D

Lol I suspect you are being optimistic! Even when it's online, I do find those words offensive, but beyond that, it's so dumb to use them... They're very emphatically against the TOS so why get banned over something so dumb and trivial?

Hardcore Unicorn

20,825 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Object of Affection 150
✘✘✘
    I don't really know how people think of me really based on my avatar. I'd be curious to know just for kicks. Based on my experience, a person's avatar does play a role in how I view someone on Gaia initially. Even though the post content is secondary, it's of greater importance.

Stellar Succubus

I sometimes wonder about what people might think of me based on my avatar... and then I remember it doesn't really matter what anyone including myself thinks.

But for the sake of the thread, if I see a matchy matchy avatar, I imagine the person to be the same sort of person who'll go apeshit if they see a spelling error. Rulesy kind of people.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff