Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey everyone, I have a question that's been floating around in my mind ever since I started posting up my anime artwork for people to see. Most people say that I have to work on my anatomy, which is fine. However, when drawing anime, do you have to stay completely true to realistic human anatomy? When you look at my artwork, I don't think it's obviously clear that something is off unless you're knit picking. For example, I see a lot in Clamp's artwork very skinny people with limbs perhaps a little too long. And of course there's plenty of anime with girls with small faces, larger eyes than normal, and boobs way too big to fit their body. The first anime that comes into mind is Code Geass. I don't think their anatomy is in proportion. It's just the style of the artist. Thoughts?

My DeviantArt
            Brb copypasta.

Quote:
            Deformation is all cool and dandy as long as it's intentional.
            I am familiar with human anatomy and have no problems drawing in any style, but it's my decision to use this particular one is good.
            I am ******** clueless so I will just draw horrible, broken animes and then call it "my style" whenever someone points out that my art looks like s**t is BAD.

PS. Clamp's art looks ******** horrible and you really shouldn't be using it as an example, unless you want to talk about polished turds.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
With a trained eye, it's pretty obvious when you see an artist who stylizes without knowing the basics. CLAMP is actually one of those types. They understand appeal and are pretty great with compositions, but they really don't know their anatomy and their proportions (especially their later manga) are just awkwardly elongated.

The best way to explain it is to just learn anatomy and draftsmanship as well as you can, and then when you draw the style you prefer, keep what you learned in mind. No stylized artist follows realistic human anatomy 1-to-1; obviously, some liberties can be taken, but ultimately when you're drawing your anime-stylized artwork, you'll know why something looks wrong, and you'll know how to fix it.

Human anatomy is a lot like knowing machine mechanics. If you understand it, you can take it apart and make something new out of it.
Vrazhe
            Brb copypasta.

Quote:
            Deformation is all cool and dandy as long as it's intentional.
            I am familiar with human anatomy and have no problems drawing in any style, but it's my decision to use this particular one is good.
            I am ******** clueless so I will just draw horrible, broken animes and then call it "my style" whenever someone points out that my art looks like s**t is BAD.

PS. Clamp's art looks ******** horrible and you really shouldn't be using it as an example, unless you want to talk about polished turds.

Hah, I see.. xD
Kupocake
With a trained eye, it's pretty obvious when you see an artist who stylizes without knowing the basics. CLAMP is actually one of those types. They understand appeal and are pretty great with compositions, but they really don't know their anatomy and their proportions (especially their later manga) are just awkwardly elongated.

The best way to explain it is to just learn anatomy and draftsmanship as well as you can, and then when you draw the style you prefer, keep what you learned in mind. No stylized artist follows realistic human anatomy 1-to-1; obviously, some liberties can be taken, but ultimately when you're drawing your anime-stylized artwork, you'll know why something looks wrong, and you'll know how to fix it.

Human anatomy is a lot like knowing machine mechanics. If you understand it, you can take it apart and make something new out of it.

Thanks, this helps a lot. smile

Big Receiver

7,050 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Vrazhe

That's completely uncalled for. I happen to be a huge fan of CLAMP.
Inconsistently Yours
Vrazhe

This might strike you as surprising, but I happen to be a huge fan of Clamp too. I just acknowledge the fact that their characters look like s**t.

It's actually entirely possible to like something without being all OMG IF I LIKE IT THEN IT MEANS IT'S FLAWLESS BECAUSE I'M SO AWESOME I WOULDN'T LIKE SOMETHING THAT'S NOT ABSOLUTELY PERFECT about it.

Big Receiver

7,050 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Vrazhe
Inconsistently Yours
Vrazhe

This might strike you as surprising, but I happen to be a huge fan of Clamp too. I just acknowledge the fact that their characters look like s**t.

It's actually entirely possible to like something without being all OMG IF I LIKE IT THEN IT MEANS IT'S FLAWLESS BECAUSE I'M SO AWESOME I WOULDN'T LIKE SOMETHING THAT WASN'T ABSOLUTELY PERFECT about it.

Calling their art 'polished turds' is pretty ******** up. Plain and simple. Your opinion is about as useful as that of a two year old and completely uncalled for.
Inconsistently Yours
Vrazhe
Inconsistently Yours
Vrazhe

It's actually entirely possible to like something without being all OMG IF I LIKE IT THEN IT MEANS IT'S FLAWLESS BECAUSE I'M SO AWESOME I WOULDN'T LIKE SOMETHING THAT WASN'T ABSOLUTELY PERFECT about it.

Calling their art 'polished turds' is pretty ******** up. Plain and simple. Your opinion is about as useful as that of a two year old and completely uncalled for.

Oh. So enlighten me--if Clamp's art is not a polished turd, then what is it?

Dangerous Lunatic

The difference between unintentional deformation with regard to personal style and intentional, stylized deformation is consistency. CLAMP remains consistent with their stylized deformation of the human form; they know the basics well enough to augment them to suit the aesthetic they're going for. Whether or not one happens to like that style, however, is completely opinion.

And opinion is hardly objective. It's useless unless you actually care about the often capricious fancies of others. It doesn't matter whether or not one likes CLAMP; it simply stands to reason that the consistency of their style is indicative of an understanding of basic human anatomy, which is why the deformation endures page after page, instead of the warped portrayal of one trying to deform bodies one doesn't fully understand.

CLAMP is actually quite inspirational to me, personally, not only because I appreciate their style but because of the manner in which such a style developed. They began as doujinshi artists, and, without any formal artistic training, became one of the most popular groups out there-- and not so much for their stories, either.

When most think CLAMP, most think of their art. The visuals themselves, the images evoked, the details, the style. Their art has left impressions on others, and while not all of them have been positive, many of them have been powerfully so.

So to say that simply because you, Vrazhe, fail to appreciate CLAMP's art, no one else should, is rather ridiculous. It's not as if your opinion is based in anything more concrete than your individual tastes. It's like telling someone to stop liking chocolate because you think it tastes like dirt. It's silly. Stop.

Big Receiver

7,050 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Vrazhe
Inconsistently Yours
Vrazhe
Inconsistently Yours
Vrazhe

Oh. So enlighten me--if Clamp's art is not a polished turd, then what is it?
It's art. Art which I happen to find absolutely beautiful, so much so that it was largely what inspired me to become an artist in the first place. To date I still find it inspiring and beautiful.

If you don't like it, that's your opinion. But you have no goddamn right to persuade someone to not pursue a similar style just because you don't like it.

You're being a pompous a*****e.
iBeloved Infidel
So to say that simply because you, Vrazhe, fail to appreciate CLAMP's art, no one else should, is rather ridiculous. It's not as if your opinion is based in anything more concrete than your individual tastes. It's like telling someone to stop liking chocolate because you think it tastes like dirt. It's silly. Stop.

Inconsistently Yours
If you don't like it, that's your opinion.

You guys sure love to jump to conclusions, lol. In case you conviniently failed to notice this part of my earlier post, let me repeat myself: I happen to be a huge fan of Clamp too. Translation for idiots: I like their art. However, just because I like their art doesn't mean their art magically ceases to be s**t glazed with a thick layer of eyecandy.

Being objective about stuff you like is really great, you people should try it sometimes.

Dangerous Lunatic

I think you have a personal problem, then, if you're fan of candy-glazed s**t. Or perhaps your appreciation is simply shallow enough to allow for it to operate without sufficient contradiction. Whatever the case, the point still stands; simply because you personally fail to appreciate an art form, doesn't mean you should dissuade others from doing just that.

Big Receiver

7,050 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
No kidding. I can't see why someone would be a fan of art they find to be "******** horrible" and "polished turds".
iBeloved Infidel

I think you have a personal problem, then, if you're fan of candy-glazed s**t. Or perhaps your appreciation is simply shallow enough to allow for it to operate without sufficient contradiction. Whatever the case, the point still stands; simply because you personally fail to appreciate an art form, doesn't mean you should dissuade others from doing just that.

Oh, I see, so you ARE one of those OMG IF I LIKE IT THEN IT MEANS IT'S FLAWLESS BECAUSE I'M SO AWESOME I WOULDN'T LIKE SOMETHING THAT WASN'T ABSOLUTELY PERFECT kids. Such a pity.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff