7,550 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Nerd 50
  • Grunny Grabber 50
AndyFrenchSpy
RiotFinger
AndyFrenchSpy
RiotFinger
Low expectations. The Elder Scrolls engines and the themes are built for one player. It's going to be weird having multiple "One and Only Hero"es.

As I understand it, it isn't based on the same engine. As for themes, wasn't the ES universe originally some guys setting for D&D Campaigns.... Thus multiplayer? I kid, it is traditionally single player, and I worry for multiplayer.
Morrowind - Some f** released from prison because an oracle of sorts said he was 'the one'.
Oblivion - Prisoner f** who got in the mix of some assassination and redeemed himself.
Skyrim - DRAGON BORN (f**)

ES Online - A million 'the ones' who all get in the mix of the same assassination and are all DRAGON BORN.

So..... The entire premise behind your idea of "Themes" basically starts at Morrowind then?

Charming. I suppose Todd Howard invented The Elder Scrolls then?

You know Arena and Daggerfall (2/5 ES Games) you weren't really "The one" as you were some shmuck who happened to assemble/unravel the McGuffin. Destiny wasn't really a factor. The One and only Hero has only really been Morrowind->Beyond.

This isn't necessarily going to be Heavy Metal (I must destroy you, for you are the one and only being who can stop me.) it might be "Hey you random soldiers, go save the day" Oh to be sure, anyone could kill this big bad if they are strong enough, but you've gone through all the quests leading up to it, so go ahead and kill him now.

Quote:
The One and only Hero has only really been Morrowind->Beyond.

Is ES Online not considered "beyond"?

Dangerous Genius

RiotFinger
AndyFrenchSpy
RiotFinger
AndyFrenchSpy
RiotFinger
Low expectations. The Elder Scrolls engines and the themes are built for one player. It's going to be weird having multiple "One and Only Hero"es.

As I understand it, it isn't based on the same engine. As for themes, wasn't the ES universe originally some guys setting for D&D Campaigns.... Thus multiplayer? I kid, it is traditionally single player, and I worry for multiplayer.
Morrowind - Some f** released from prison because an oracle of sorts said he was 'the one'.
Oblivion - Prisoner f** who got in the mix of some assassination and redeemed himself.

ES Online - A million 'the ones' who all get in the mix of the same assassination and are all DRAGON BORN.

So..... The entire premise behind your idea of "Themes" basically starts at Morrowind then?

You know Arena and Daggerfall (2/5 ES Games) you weren't really "The one" as you were some shmuck who happened to assemble/unravel the McGuffin. Destiny wasn't really a factor. The One and only Hero has only really been Morrowind->Beyond.

This isn't necessarily going to be Heavy Metal (I must destroy you, for you are the one and only being who can stop me.) it might be "Hey you random soldiers, go save the day" Oh to be sure, anyone could kill this big bad if they are strong enough, but you've gone through all the quests leading up to it, so go ahead and kill him now.

Quote:

Actually In Arena You were the one... The gods pretty much chose you as the hero from the beginning of the game and broke you out of prison... so that makes 4 out of the 5 games all having you be the chosen one... the only game that is an exception to this is Oblivion where the Septims were the chosen bloodline hero.
vkyhjyhuk wink whee
No, jus no... -........................- stare

Tricky Shapeshifter

12,800 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
I'm expecting it to be like every other MMO.

1. Go to NPC who instructs you to kill a certain amount of things/collect a certain amount of things.
2. Kill certain amount of things/collect certain amount of things.
3. Return to NPC and tell him you killed certain amount of things/give collected things.
4. Receive reward.
5. Find next NPC to tell you to do the same thing.

I can't play MMO's any more really, I'm sick of this formula.

Shadowy Rogue

3,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
Blaze the Fire Dragon

1. Go to NPC who instructs you to kill a certain amount of things/collect a certain amount of things.
3. Return to NPC and tell him you killed certain amount of things/give collected things.
4. Receive reward.

From what I can tell, content you find in the wilderness will be relatively similar to previous games, in that you can go in and solve puzzles, fight enemies and whatnot at your leisure, and find some pretty neat stuff. If there is a quest associated with a particular dungeon (or what-have-you), you can automatically pick it up and be able to get an extra reward in addition to what you already planned on doing anyway.

A lot of it, though, depends on what their idea of progression is. If progression is going from Iron ~> Daedric armor and super power, the game will inevitably devolve into the same-old MMO style.

If progression is more like previous titles, yes, Daedric armor will be the most powerful, but Iron armor on a skilled player will still be pretty damned good. Way I see it, armor should be a give-take choice; Daedric armor is unnaturally heavy, but a total bulwark. Powerful characters can wear it with little impediment. But by then, that character would be able to wear Iron armor and be very athletic in it.

Should be as character-centric as possible, rather than gear/item-centric.

But of course, why do content if gear doesn't get that much better? Personalization of items (more cosmetic crafting options) and unique-effect items (Wabbajack, boots of water walking) would be good ideas.
RiotFinger
AndyFrenchSpy
RiotFinger
AndyFrenchSpy
RiotFinger

Quote:

Yes, but it has yet to come out, thus we don't know if they will follow the "You are the Chosen One" or the old "Hey random shmuck, go do some stuff, on the way your going to save the world, kaythnx."

Bethesada isn't directly involved, so what formula they will follow is really up in the air.

Tipsy Lunatic

8,400 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
As much as I love the Elder Scrolls, no. I am not hyped for this.
I'm just not the type of guy who enjoys MMO's. Plain and simple.
Chaos Dirge
RiotFinger
AndyFrenchSpy
RiotFinger
AndyFrenchSpy

Quote:

Actually In Arena You were the one... The gods pretty much chose you as the hero from the beginning of the game and broke you out of prison... so that makes 4 out of the 5 games all having you be the chosen one... the only game that is an exception to this is Oblivion where the Septims were the chosen bloodline hero.

I don't recall you being "The one" in Arena, albiet I haven't touched that in eooons, however, as I recall the God's weren't really involved. It was Jagar Thran's ex Apprentice who randomly picked you and said "Hey guy, go assemble the Magical McGuffin Staff and save the day" Really, anybody weilding hte McGuffin Staff could have defeated Tharn. Refresh my memory, where did the Chosen by the God's (Rather than some dead-ish girl(was she dead or wounded or shwa?)) element come in? I thought you were the randomly picked agent of the group of folks trying to assemble the McGuffin to beat Tharn. I.E You were chosen/broken out of prison by some very mortal chick because ******** you, don't challenge the plot, that's what makes you special! Gods/Fate not being involved. In comparison to say... Morrowind or Skyrim where your entire character is just swimming in an ocean of destiny/fate. TBH, I think Morrowind/Skyrim are the only ones that reaaallly strongly follow the "Chosen One" trend. Oblivion you are the chosen ones side-kick who also happens to be chosen a la uriel's dreams.

Unless we are going all Uber-CHIM and getting to the lore level where it is acknowledged that Elder Scrolls is a Video Game and every PC is in fact an uber-being hero chosen one due to the fact that they are the PC. Then yes, being the chosen one is always an element, but having multiple chosen ones won't have any impact at that level.

Oblivion followed that Formula, you were the one from Uriel's dreams. In your face he saw Akatosh's companion, etc. etc. Oblivion only diverged in so far as you were not the Uber-Hero who would be remebered in song, that is Martin. You're just his side-kick. And in-Game books followed that pattern, I recall reading books about the Oblivion Crisis, essentially "Martin this, martin that, martin here, martin there.... Oh... and some guy named "The Hero Of Kavatch" did some stuff too.... but MARTIN SEPTIM!!! HUR DUR DUR!!!!!"

As I recall, Daggerfall is the only one that REALLY went against that, as I recall (Again, it is one from my childhood so the memory is a bit rusty) as I recall you were only really sent there to recover a letter/investigate a murder and you sort of stumbled your way into zomg u r a hero!
Tuah
Blaze the Fire Dragon

4. Receive reward.

From what I can tell, content you find in the wilderness will be relatively similar to previous games, in that you can go in and solve puzzles, fight enemies and whatnot at your leisure, and find some pretty neat stuff. If there is a quest associated with a particular dungeon (or what-have-you), you can automatically pick it up and be able to get an extra reward in addition to what you already planned on doing anyway.

A lot of it, though, depends on what their idea of progression is. If progression is going from Iron ~> Daedric armor and super power, the game will inevitably devolve into the same-old MMO style.

If progression is more like previous titles, yes, Daedric armor will be the most powerful, but Iron armor on a skilled player will still be pretty damned good. Way I see it, armor should be a give-take choice; Daedric armor is unnaturally heavy, but a total bulwark. Powerful characters can wear it with little impediment. But by then, that character would be able to wear Iron armor and be very athletic in it.

Should be as character-centric as possible, rather than gear/item-centric.

But of course, why do content if gear doesn't get that much better? Personalization of items (more cosmetic crafting options) and unique-effect items (Wabbajack, boots of water walking) would be good ideas.

Eh, I don't see them going against that. From it's appreance ESO looks too.... Typical. I highly doubt they are going to make some enormous, genre-chaning idea such as "So a good player in lvl-1 Armor (Iron) can in fact beat a mediocre player in lvl-9001 armor (Uber-Rare Daedric Armor that only teh very best grinders/gold-miners can afford.).

Although I would laugh my a** off at all the guys who feel the need to buff up their E-p***s via wearing the bestest equipment in the game. I still doubt ESO is going to do that though.
Tuah
FeliciaFun
FinDefaulted
Wasn't it turn based? That usually means that it's viewed from bird perspective. I wouldn't mind playing TES online if it would be similar to the others (Meaning real time and fist person view), but maybe I'll just pass this one.

I think it is like some other MMOs (like Wow) in that your attacks all have a cooldown. So not exactly turn based but certainly not action oriented like the other TES games either.

No cooldowns. At least, not in the sense you're thinking. More in the sense of "finish swinging your sword before you bother trying to cast a fire spell with the same hand".

Not turn-based, not auto-attack-based, not rotation-based, not tank-and-spank. The same hack-and-slash combat we've come to know and love. This is what they've said about it, in the least.

Also, different engine for this game.

Oh? I heard that there were cooldowns/1-8 Attack-Special-Skills and that it is in fact not the same hack-and-slash. From what I've read the gameplay actually sounds hauntingly similar to Guild Wars.

Dangerous Genius

AndyFrenchSpy
Chaos Dirge
RiotFinger
AndyFrenchSpy
RiotFinger

Quote:

I don't recall you being "The one" in Arena, albiet I haven't touched that in eooons, however, as I recall the God's weren't really involved. It was Jagar Thran's ex Apprentice who randomly picked you and said "Hey guy, go assemble the Magical McGuffin Staff and save the day" Really, anybody weilding hte McGuffin Staff could have defeated Tharn. Refresh my memory, where did the Chosen by the God's (Rather than some dead-ish girl(was she dead or wounded or shwa?)) element come in? I thought you were the randomly picked agent of the group of folks trying to assemble the McGuffin to beat Tharn. I.E You were chosen/broken out of prison by some very mortal chick because ******** you, don't challenge the plot, that's what makes you special! Gods/Fate not being involved. In comparison to say... Morrowind or Skyrim where your entire character is just swimming in an ocean of destiny/fate. TBH, I think Morrowind/Skyrim are the only ones that reaaallly strongly follow the "Chosen One" trend. Oblivion you are the chosen ones side-kick who also happens to be chosen a la uriel's dreams.

Unless we are going all Uber-CHIM and getting to the lore level where it is acknowledged that Elder Scrolls is a Video Game and every PC is in fact an uber-being hero chosen one due to the fact that they are the PC. Then yes, being the chosen one is always an element, but having multiple chosen ones won't have any impact at that level.

Oblivion followed that Formula, you were the one from Uriel's dreams. In your face he saw Akatosh's companion, etc. etc. Oblivion only diverged in so far as you were not the Uber-Hero who would be remebered in song, that is Martin. You're just his side-kick. And in-Game books followed that pattern, I recall reading books about the Oblivion Crisis, essentially "Martin this, martin that, martin here, martin there.... Oh... and some guy named "The Hero Of Kavatch" did some stuff too.... but MARTIN SEPTIM!!! HUR DUR DUR!!!!!"

As I recall, Daggerfall is the only one that REALLY went against that, as I recall (Again, it is one from my childhood so the memory is a bit rusty) as I recall you were only really sent there to recover a letter/investigate a murder and you sort of stumbled your way into zomg u r a hero!

No really Arena Did make you chosen by the gods, the girl that woke you and told you what your destiny was was one of the divines.
I was actually going just by the lore of the game itself and the books written in it which could be up for debate now that I think about it, but the common conciseness is that you were chosen by the gods in each one Other than Oblivion.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff