Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey I have a question.
Is it possible to still be Goth after High School?
I am 17 and recently got into it and I LOVE IT. It makes me feel good and alive like nothing else ever has.
The reason I'm asking is because I'm going to college in a year to study diseases and medicine and I'm afraid that Professors won't take me seriously and getting the proper education (aiming for doctorate degree) and a job will be difficult. And on top of that I hear that everybody quits that kind of stuff after High School and I'm afraid of being alone again because of that. Even before I was goth NONE of the "normal" people (even adults) liked me just cause I'm different.
Before I started goth I was constantly depressed and thinking about how fake I was and not knowing who I was plus I was always thinking about suicide.
Goth changed that for me, It makes me happy, alive and it just makes me feel like me.
It has literally been tearing me apart on what to do, I don't what to quit and throw away that (huge) part of me, though I also don't want it to clash with my future career.

In short is it possible to be Goth still when I go to college? If so, how?

Do other people stick with it as well? If so what do they do and where do they go? I don't care wether or not they go to school or what they study, I'm not going to judge (though I'm not going to hang out with people who do drugs)

How can I be goth and still be successful?

Thank you all for your help!

Rainbow Ladykiller

Yes, you can go to college as a goth.. It's just difficult to get a job with the goth fashion/style.
I've known several goths that graduated college sticking to their high school fashion sense. One of them I know already has a well-paying job as a fashion designer.
You will be laughed out of pre-med if you show up in goth attire. Unfortunantly, being in the medical career means you have to follow the 'norm', if you will. There is a different attitude in medicine - it's respected, it's higher class, it's a lot of work. When most people see goths, they think of burn outs, drug users, people who don't take their lives seriously.

I wanted my tongue ring, snake bites, and tattos, but I made the decision to go into medicine as well, and I knew if I wanted a job and to be picked for a med school candidate, I had to go without them.

sad

Dapper Millionaire

I've seen 25 year-olds who are still into the goth trend. The trend isn't taken seriously because of the clothing style, but it is still possible to be into the trend and not fully dress like one.
But yes, it is possible.
GoRExoxo
You will be laughed out of pre-med if you show up in goth attire. Unfortunantly, being in the medical career means you have to follow the 'norm', if you will. There is a different attitude in medicine - it's respected, it's higher class, it's a lot of work. When most people see goths, they think of burn outs, drug users, people who don't take their lives seriously.

I wanted my tongue ring, snake bites, and tattos, but I made the decision to go into medicine as well, and I knew if I wanted a job and to be picked for a med school candidate, I had to go without them.

sad

I see what you mean.
I was kinda figuring I would have to be WAY conservative. (I never dressed HEAVILY goth anyway but wanted to try it sad )

To be completely Honest medicine wasn't my idea in the first place, it was my dad's sad
1tty bitty kitty
Yes, you can go to college as a goth.. It's just difficult to get a job with the goth fashion/style.
I've known several goths that graduated college sticking to their high school fashion sense. One of them I know already has a well-paying job as a fashion designer.

Well most of that is good to hear (obviously the job difficulty part isn't)

Thanks for the reply
weeneez
I've seen 25 year-olds who are still into the goth trend. The trend isn't taken seriously because of the clothing style, but it is still possible to be into the trend and not fully dress like one.
But yes, it is possible.

Ya (and as I said in a earlier reply I never have dressed HEAVY goth, yet)

I'm sure if I ever did though I'd restrict it to a event where it would be somewhat accepted

Thanks for the reply

Dapper Millionaire

JonathanTheDark
1tty bitty kitty

Thanks for the reply

You can still be into the trend/lifestyle if you want, but it doesn't mean you don't have to look like one on the outside.
weeneez
JonathanTheDark
1tty bitty kitty

Thanks for the reply

You can still be into the trend/lifestyle if you want, but it doesn't mean you don't have to look like one on the outside.

Ya I guess...
(only thing was I liked the look on me, didn't ever meet enough people to know what they thought)

Dapper Millionaire

JonathanTheDark
weeneez
But yes, it is possible.

I'm sure if I ever did though I'd restrict it to a event where it would be somewhat accepted

Thanks for the reply

The trend/lifestyle is a lot more accepted now than it used to be.
weeneez
JonathanTheDark
weeneez
But yes, it is possible.

Thanks for the reply

The trend/lifestyle is a lot more accepted now than it used to be.

Which is good to know smile
I hate to leave it behind because again, THAT'S WHO I AM. I just feel incomplete and pointless without that part of me
JonathanTheDark

I see what you mean.
I was kinda figuring I would have to be WAY conservative. (I never dressed HEAVILY goth anyway but wanted to try it sad )

To be completely Honest medicine wasn't my idea in the first place, it was my dad's sad

Going to be honest with you though, if it's not your passion to go into medicine, don't do it. I can't imagine how taxing it would be on someone whose heart isn't in it. 8 years is a long time to go to school to not have a passion for, I'mma be honest. heart

But that's another topic all together. I wish you the best. We all lead double lives sometimes. Just because you go to school a few hours of the day doesn't mean you can't goth out after school or on the weekends. College is your time to be you. biggrin
GoRExoxo
JonathanTheDark

I see what you mean.

Going to be honest with you though, if it's not your passion to go into medicine, don't do it. I can't imagine how taxing it would be on someone whose heart isn't in it. 8 years is a long time to go to school to not have a passion for, I'mma be honest. heart

But that's another topic all together. I wish you the best. We all lead double lives sometimes. Just because you go to school a few hours of the day doesn't mean you can't goth out after school or on the weekends. College is your time to be you. biggrin

Ya I've "modified" what I will be doing (he wanted me to be a doctor which I wouldnt be able to stand but I was able to change it to diseases since I like biology so therefor can halfway put up with that)

That sounds like great advice! Never thought of that, Thanks!

Tipsy Prophet

I know tons of older goths. (In their 30's) who are sucessful. I can think of two off the top of my head that own sucessful businesses and still identify as goth. While how you present your self in a professional environment is important, you don't have to forgo your gothy style and shop at banana republic. There are many designers out there that cater to the counter-cultures while still providing appropriate, professional business attire. If you go to an interview or internship dressed like a Scary Kid, no, you won't be taken seriously. But, dress classy and throw in your own gothy flair.
Everything in moderation. If you're wanting to establish yourself as a professional, or be taken seriously by your upper class professors, it would be best not to show up in black lipstick, caked on white makeup, long painted nails, and baggy chained pants, as an example.

There are many variations on the goth "style" and I believe you could still incooperate elements of it into your every day life while still staying classy. It would be easy, for instance, to stick with darker colors if that is your preference. It might help to add a little variation in color and not just black. Just make sure to dress well (not hot topic clothes...which might be okay as a freshmen and such, but not so great when establishing yourself later on), and keep your overall appearance clean.

If you want to wear dark lipstick, black nails, pewter dragon necklaces, lacy umbrellas, and vampire teeth, keep it out of sight or wait until it's more appropriate to do so - at parties, at night, with your friends, etc.

Again, the earlier on you are the more you'll be able to get away with, so if you're going to be a freshmen at a community college, it probably won't be much of an issue yet (unless you intend to make professional connections early on, or be involved in community or college functions, which would be a good idea). The further you progress on your path, the more conservative you'll need to be in professional/school settings, but it's not something you need to give up completely.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff