Welcome to Gaia! ::

Codger

Comment by Panagrammic: we won't have a bank that pays interest, but moving this to the main forum for the other aspects (PIN, mostly).

(edit concerning interest gaining accounts: Interest will not be provided on any bank feature gaia would create.)

Gaia has a bank. Or it has a bank in theory. In reality, the only thing it does is serve as a trading hub, which isn't really what banks actually do. We need an actual bank, and it's mystifying as to why we don't have one yet when it's so often requested and has been requested since the very beginning of the site.

I have a long running, in-depth thread about what could be done with a full-fledged bank feature, but the bare basics that are most often asked for are:

1. A savings account, where we can put gold in to have it hidden in an out-of-sight-out-of-mind sort of thing. This would be the absolute bare minimum to qualify as a bank feature that so many people ask for.

2. A quest account, where we can put gold in and lock it away until there's enough to buy whatever item we're questing. Since this is a quest account, it would need to be associated with X Item when it's created (to check the gold in the account against the price of the item) and either remain locked until there's enough gold to buy the item or have a penalty for early withdrawal or closure of the account (to encourage wise use of questing).

3. Entering a PIN or other password as an added layer of security to make it more difficult for hackers/phishers to completely empty out an account. There are several possible ways to do this, some of which are explained in my thread, but ultimately it would be up to the developers and site designers to determine what would be most effective for the site and feasible to implement.

There are a host of other things that can be done with a bank (item storage/safe, maintenance fees to combat inflation, multiple accounts for different quests, and so on), but those three are the most commonly requested and would be the minimum expectations for what a bank should have.

Make it happen, gaia!

This thread now has a sig banner (made by iiJava)

User Image

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/t.74852975/][img]http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g403/iiburntcookie/18232274ebb83b6m3.jpg[/img][/url]

Codger

*kicks back up already* whee

Magical Spirit

14,625 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
I actually had that idea last year. Great minds think alike no? Enjoy the cookie! I hope it works out.

Dedicated Gaian

22,375 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Cool idea.

Timid Defender

9,200 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
O.O...i posted about banking myself lol...anyways its a good idea and is needed to help people save. biggrin Here have a cookie !
Ooh, I would love a bank! Especially if we made interest.

Witty Prophet

Credit cards! ha ha ha haaaaa -cough- >.>

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Bulma_Briefs05
I actually had that idea last year. Great minds think alike no? Enjoy the cookie! I hope it works out.
I saw your thread, but I'm supporting this one due to his drawn out plans, sorry. D:

Invisible Phantom

8,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
Hmm, what about interest? I think that would be nice, like getting more interest the more money you have. It would encourage me to put money in.

Like, the bank on Neopets XDD

Dangerous Lunatic

3,550 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
You deserve a cookie.

Tipsy Fatcat

10,850 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Neopets did it, and it's a relatively simple feature.
I don't see why gaia hasn't done this already.
YOU HAVE MY COOKIE.

Fashionable Lunatic

11,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Megathread 100
I've thought this since my first day on gaia 5 or so years ago.
I'm on a smaller site where there's an ACTUAL bank that earns you 2% interest a week (though what we can do with the gil is limited).

Auroki's Princess

Slumbering Shapeshifter

27,375 Points
  • Married 100
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Conventioneer 300
i love this idea! i know that i have problems with spending all my gold that i'm trying to save. if i could put it somewhere that i wasn't always thinking about, i'd actually be able to save up for my quest item.

have a cookie!
There is already a thread of this. It has 137 cookies already. Go to it.
link

Devoted Allegiant

9,650 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I really like this idea. I'm always worried that someone will hack my account and steal all my gold, but with this, I can get double protection for it! Really great idea.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff