Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey to all of you who really want to make something great for the world to love! Check out all six parts to this video. In order to really get a feel of what is expected and required in this field we all want to get a piece of.

O^_^O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-4V9AbUu1s&feature=related

5,450 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Foxgirl_Kira
Hey to all of you who really want to make something great for the world to love! Check out all six parts to this video. In order to really get a feel of what is expected and required in this field we all want to get a piece of.

O^_^O

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-4V9AbUu1s&feature=related

Thanks for the video! I'll make sure to look at it. I'm assuming the the things they discuss apply here too, right?
Spiral Staircases
Foxgirl_Kira

O^_^O

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-4V9AbUu1s&feature=related

Thanks for the video! I'll make sure to look at it. I'm assuming the the things they discuss apply here too, right?

Yes it is a documentary of a manga artist and what he does and his process while he makes his manga called Vagabond. I thought it was very interesting and a nice little preview of mangaka life.

4,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
Thanks for the video link. I just finished watching the first part, and I'll continue the rest later. It is pretty interesting to look into the life of a mangaka, though it seems like a lot of work. Still, it seems like he does not regret becoming a mangaka.

Gracious Hunter

11,600 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Survivor 150
Thank you for the link. I was at the edge of my seat the whole time watching it (Maybe a slight overreaction to it but who cares) I could only dream of ever becoming so dedicated. sweatdrop

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Just so you'll know, this artist is a known plagiarist. I'm sure he's leaving that little detail out of his documentary, though.
Fansub
Just so you'll know, this artist is a known plagiarist. I'm sure he's leaving that little detail out of his documentary, though.
This breaks my heart. I'd thought that Vagabond had beautiful art... Is that traced too?

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
Bulbasauurr
Fansub
This breaks my heart. I'd thought that Vagabond had beautiful art... Is that traced too?

You can still enjoy the work, just don't respect the guy as an artist *shrug* That's what I do. I hate finding out when comics I love were traced, but the story is enjoyable, and the 'art' still serves it's purpose, so I continue reading them. I just don't look up to the artist anymore.
Fansub

I was wondering about that. I remember Slam Dunk being in some article about comic artists that traced and I thought I might have been the other way around and someone traced his work much like how Bleach was traced.

In some ways I do sympathize with the rampant tracing with manga artists. Very often you have to come up with the story and the art yourself and churn out about 15 pages a week and have a weird sleepless work schedule. Its almost justified that there's so much use of cut books, tracing and pre-made backgrounds.
Well despite the tracing thing the video is still a good indicator on what we are suppose to expect in a manga drawing life. <:I

Besides all this talk about tracing and stuff may give the younger ones some "good ideas" you know what I'm saying?

Shadowy Phantom

Those aren't traces, they're eyeballed copies. Not much better, but for what it's worth, felt like pointing that out.

I think it's best artists looking up to mangaka know both the good and inspirational side of the story, and the bad side. I think it's important for artists to know when and why some of their idols trace, copy, use copypasta backgrounds, etc, and why it may (or may not be) justified for them. Most aspiring artists around here don't have such gruelling work schedules (and likely never will), so they need to realize that they don't have the same excuses/justifications that their favourite mangaka do.

That video made me feel better about how much I struggle with my thumbnailing/writing phase.
I wish they had focused a bit more on the actual work, instead of spending an hour drawing parallels between Vagabond and Inoue's life.

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Kyousouka
I think it's best artists looking up to mangaka know both the good and inspirational side of the story, and the bad side. I think it's important for artists to know when and why some of their idols trace, copy, use copypasta backgrounds, etc, and why it may (or may not be) justified for them. Most aspiring artists around here don't have such gruelling work schedules (and likely never will), so they need to realize that they don't have the same excuses/justifications that their favourite mangaka do.

I don't think it's the eyeballing photos that's the problem. It's the plagiarism.

I wouldn't care if he had permission to use the photos. I mean, I still think it's lazy as hell and plenty of manga-ka with grueling work schedules manage just fine without eyeballing, but hey, whatever works, etc. The problem is when an artist blatantly disregards another artist's copyright and takes credit for their work.

Shadowy Phantom

Fansub
Kyousouka

I don't think it's the eyeballing photos that's the problem. It's the plagiarism.

I wouldn't care if he had permission to use the photos. I mean, I still think it's lazy as hell and plenty of manga-ka with grueling work schedules manage just fine without eyeballing, but hey, whatever works, etc. The problem is when an artist blatantly disregards another artist's copyright and takes credit for their work.

I agree there. I guess his rationale is that while they make ref books for a lot of things for artists to ref/copy from, they don't make them for basketball and basketball is quite specific. Is it a good rationale? In the manga business, yes, but to me? Absolutely not. But again, this is something aspiring artists should know about and draw their own conclusions.

Unfortunately, I don't think copyright law even covers that situation, so this is something "artists" will get away with.

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Kyousouka
I agree there. I guess his rationale is that while they make ref books for a lot of things for artists to ref/copy from, they don't make them for basketball and basketball is quite specific. Is it a good rationale? In the manga business, yes, but to me? Absolutely not. But again, this is something aspiring artists should know about and draw their own conclusions.

Oh absolutely. I just wanted to point that out since I really do not have a problem with heavy referencing, it's the copyright issues that get to me.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't think copyright law even covers that situation, so this is something "artists" will get away with.

AFAIK there was another manga-ka who got caught doing something similar and her works were pulled off shelves. I don't remember her name right now but it was a pretty big deal. She was eyeballing magazines and whatnot. David Mack got caught doing it too a while back. Shameful, really.

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
Foxgirl_Kira
Well despite the tracing thing the video is still a good indicator on what we are suppose to expect in a manga drawing life. <:I

Besides all this talk about tracing and stuff may give the younger ones some "good ideas" you know what I'm saying?

Not really. Western comic work is EXTREMELY different from Japanese manga work, or so I'm told. In Japan they churn out whole chapters in weeks, have shitty pays, and have generally different ethics when it comes to things like tracing due to these things. In America/Canada, comic artists have longer periods of time, get paid more for their work, and tracing is generally frowned upon.

While this documentary offers some helpful advice, it's not particularly accurate for a Western comic artist, unless they move to Japan, which I would advise against. It's still interesting though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff