Welcome to Gaia! ::

1.So, out of curiosity, how many of you want to be a comic artist/or writer? As a full time or part time job?

I do it as a hobby, I make no money out of it for the simple fact, my art is literally terrible, but people seem to enjoy the writing... I wouldn't want to do it for a living, though...

2. Do you plan to self publish or just post it up online?

If I get an artist to redraw what I did, I would put it in print within days, but right now I'll just post it online.

3. What makes you think your comic(s) will be liked?

It is liked by the few who read it, like I said the writing, it was makes it "good". My character designs interest folks as well. Other than that, much.

4. Do you think you can do it solo?

No. Even if I improve, it will be awhile before it's something worth buying.

5. Are you confident in your writing or drawing?

Yes, I think that my writing is improving significantly, and if comics never farther than online, I can live with writing novels and short stories.
You could also get some people to help you making it a lot more easier.

Fashionable Shopper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
1.So, out of curiosity, how many of you want to be a comic artist/or writer? As a full time or part time job?
I would like that, but my life won't be miserable if I never make it as a professional. But if I do make it, I want to do it full-time.

I'm already posting online, but once I'm better, I want to be published professionally.

I don't...yet. If I keep practicing, then I trust that somebody out there will appreciate my efforts. ^^

Yes! It will be time-consuming and tough. But I can do it.

My writing needs so much improvement, I can't even imagine... my art is bleh too. But I can improve. I know I'm a newb, there's no room for confidence when you have so much to learn anyway.
LenGe
Do you guys not partner up with people because you're afraid that they'll mess up your comic or feel that their drawing is not your style? Or simply because you dont know anyone who wants to do a comic?

I know plenty of people, but a lot of artists that want to do comics are the sort to have "baby projects". Honestly, it's a lot easier to teach yourself to draw than to try getting an artist to work with you in a partnership (as opposed to work-for-hire).
I am thoroughly enjoying this thread.
Part-time. I'm convinced that in order for my writing to be the best it can, I need a "real" job where I go out and experience things.

A little of both. I'd LOVE to make money off of writing comics, but I want people to enjoy my comics more than I'm interested in profiting from it.

I like to think the ideas I come up with aren't complete tripe. I'm interested in the way people carry out their lives during and after something extraordinary happens, so I'm hoping that sort of thing appeals to whoever might read my work.

Absolutely not. I couldn't draw to save my life.

I'm confident I'm not absolutely horrid at writing, but I'm humble enough to know I have a long way to go before I'm great.
LenGe
Do you guys not partner up with people because you're afraid that they'll mess up your comic or feel that their drawing is not your style? Or simply because you dont know anyone who wants to do a comic?

The very few attempts I have made to partner up with someone on a comic (they write, I draw) have come to awkward trainwreck-averting stops.

So yeah, I don't do that any more.

(It's funny, I have no problem drawing sex or violence, but I Just Can't Deal with characters acting without motivation, suddenly going OOC (if it's a fan comic), message/morality stories, or 'random monkey cheese' humor.)
So you got stuck with people who can't write. I can see why you might want to rip your hair out before teaming up again.
Mr McGrumpypants
So you got stuck with people who can't write. I can see why you might want to rip your hair out before teaming up again.

Well, once bitten, twice shy... four times bitten, I'm done.

5,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
IronSpike
I am thoroughly enjoying this thread.

Thank you, nicely drawn sig btw. I plan on making one as soon as I finish my finals.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
LenGe
I've found pairing with writers to be an agonizing experience, personally. Once I was in high school a group of us got together and we got nothing done because everyone wanted to put too much into it. The other writers I paired up with lost interest or simply flaked. One time a year's planning went down the drain due to the writer losing interest.

At least if I'm doing it myself, there's only me accountable as to whether it's getting done or not.

Although I wouldn't mind working with someone if they had their act together.

4,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
uhm i really want 2 but im not sure...
Seijaku_Ishida
Although I wouldn't mind working with someone if they had their act together.
Steampunk Jelly People is still on the table.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff