Welcome to Gaia! ::

Would it be smarter for me to buy one 2GB stick, or two 1GB sticks?
I have two slots for RAM and I'm not sure if I should fill them both or just keep one empty.

BTW, my computer can only hold up to 2GB.

Oh, and, just as an aside, can anyone tell me the proper way to clean the interior of my computer? It gets dusty and I'm not sure if I can just go at it with my vacuum (obviously not touching anything important with it).
From a performance perspective - assuming the motherboard supports a dual channel memory configuration - two sticks would offer better performance. But from a practical perspective the performance difference is minor and won't be noticeable during everyday use, so it's generall less expensive and smarter when it comes to future upgrade-ability to buy the single larger stick than two smaller.
Yeah, I've found that it's a lot cheaper to go with just one. If it's only a minor difference, I'll probably go with one due to money issues.

Thanks!
what kind of laptop do you have?
taylorashleigh
Would it be smarter for me to buy one 2GB stick, or two 1GB sticks?
I have two slots for RAM and I'm not sure if I should fill them both or just keep one empty.

BTW, my computer can only hold up to 2GB.

Oh, and, just as an aside, can anyone tell me the proper way to clean the interior of my computer? It gets dusty and I'm not sure if I can just go at it with my vacuum (obviously not touching anything important with it).
Always check to see, because if it has two slots and holds a maximum of 2GBs, it's safe to make an educated guess that each slot can only have 1GB maximum. Always check your motherboard online to see what it can hold and what its limits are.

Two 1GB sticks, better for performance than 1 stick, its usually cheaper to get these sticks compared t oa single 2GB, brands vary for cost.
Well that would all depend on the type of ram you're using. Are you using DDR, SDRAM, or RDRAM? Anyway as stated above, it would probably be best to get a single 2 GB stick for cost, but also as stated, if the max is 2 GB and there are 2 slots, each slot may be only able to hold 1 GB of RAM. Oh and that's another thing. Make sure you buy the right type of RAM because DDR will not work in SDRAM and RDRAM and vice versa.

As to cleaning the interior of your com, I use a can of dustoff.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff