Nope. 0.14626865671642 14.6% [ 49 ]
Not sure. 0.2955223880597 29.6% [ 99 ]
Total Votes:[ 335 ]
1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 >

6,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
I have loved to draw my entire life. I feel that art comes so naturally to me, I could not even imagine ever being terrible at it. I have friends who "can't draw for their lives" and I find it so hard to believe. It all just comes so easily to me, even when I was a little girl. I remember people asking me to draw things for them when I was younger, because they didn't have the skill to do it without help. It's almost as if I was born with my skill. I could not even fathom the thought that something I do so easily, was so difficult or even impossible for others. In fact, I still can't.

My sister, who is an artist, never drew, painted, or anything when she was younger. And now she is great at it, because she realized that is want she wanted to do. She gained her skill by learning later in life, whereas I've had it almost my whole life (without taking a single class).

So, what I'm asking, have any of you ever felt this? Have you ever felt that you were born with your talent? Or, did you decided you wanted to do it, and learned to become better over time?

And if you have any other comment, please elaborate.

(Btw: I don't mean to sound cocky or anything, I'm just trying to explain how I feel.)
"talent", being naturally "good" at it, whatever, is all irrelevant to me. It doesn't come easily a lot of the time either. But I have to keep making drawings or I feel like something is missing. I don't think anyone is a natural "artist" (as I have quite strong feelings about the term "artist') but there is something ingrained in me that makes me draw.
Yes... My grandma taught me how to sew when I was little, and I think that's what I was meant to do. I want to make wedding dresses. But I also want to be a tattoo artist.
Kind of funny you should put it that way, because lots of kids feel they are naturally talented art prodigies because all their close friends and family members told them so. Then they get to the real world and they find out they suck. Even if they liked doing it, they were just mediocre at it.

It basically comes down to that fact that you can never relay on your own opinion for the quality of your artwork or even the people around you. Total strangers have to say it's good and a large amount of them.

5,400 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100
You'll find that, when you get away form mommy and daddy and get out into the real world, that you aren't very talented in the least.
I find that art is 15 percent talent and 85% study and hard work. You might be 15 percent there, but that's a failing grade.
This whole "I'm special because I was born with talent" thing only works if you're Mozart and writing amazing symphonies by the age of four. You're not "talented" if you can kinda sorta draw without instruction. You're "talented" if you can paint portraits before you're out of your diapers. If you can sculpt beautiful angels in marble before you're 10. That's talent.

So no I'm not a "born artist". I was the best artist in my first grade class and continued to be all through primary school and middle school, until I dropped out to take art classes because I realized that I sucked but was determined to do this for a living because I love it.

Just because you're better than other people, doesn't mean you're a gifted genius.

The "you" is a "you in general", it's not directed at anyone in particular.
Art is learned like any other skill but like all skills some come more naturally to some then others. I think anyone that is determined can learn art I was just lucky enough to have a childhood where that skill was highly encourage because of how much I love it and find it a shame that in schools arts are the first classes to get cut from budgets.

Teehee. You just have to realize that in the art world, almost everybody is like you. Their starting point is better than average people who can't draw to save their lives.

But being a little better than average people is still mediocre in art world. Perhaps not even mediocre. I'd say it's pretty bad. Especially if you compare your art to the professionals-I feel like banging my head to the wall, haha.

maybe. ahahha mrgreen
In my opinion there are people (if not everyone) who are born "talented", but what I mean by that is they're just going to naturally take to a certain skill/field easier than others.
A person who understands science with no problem is no different than someone who paints really well.
And while everyone can learn the skill, the people who it doesn't come naturally to will almost always be a step behind the people it does come naturally to.
Learning a skill only helps so much, if you don't have the natural born talent for the skill/subject it isn't going to take you very far.
And I don't mean just art, I believe that applies to everything in life.
CuriousKitty
In my opinion there are people (if not everyone) who are born "talented", but what I mean by that is they're just going to naturally take to a certain skill/field easier than others.
A person who understands science with no problem is no different than someone who paints really well.
And while everyone can learn the skill, the people who it doesn't come naturally to will almost always be a step behind the people it does come naturally to.
Learning a skill only helps so much, if you don't have the natural born talent for the skill/subject it isn't going to take you very far.
And I don't mean just art, I believe that applies to everything in life.

I strongly disagree.

People can overcome things by hard work. This depends on how much talent you have- if you're like a Mozart, Beethoven, Michelangelo or any masters, perhaps yes, people would always walk behind you.

But if you're just another person with a little more talent in certain aspect, it wouldn't really help anything. Because people without talent but very passionate (like, 12 hours of practice everyday) would easily overcome any "self-proclaimed genius" who only copy animu s**t.

Wealthy Tycoon

6,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
theannacracker
I find that art is 15 percent talent and 85% study and hard work. You might be 15 percent there, but that's a failing grade.

Words to live by.

Hilarious Werewolf

6,300 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Contributor 150
Well I know how you feel but I think some of these people posting are just jealous of NATURAL talent...and what I mean by that is those of us who have not EVER taken a class or be shown how to do something,like me. Ive never had an art class,and art lesson,or even been shown by anyone how to do a certain line to make this sort of effect.Natural talent is real and shouldnt be bashed like the others are. My mother had an artistic ability and that's where I get it from. I draw because its fun and I love it.And every time I draw something I try new ways to convey the picture im trying to draw.

Hilarious Werewolf

6,300 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Contributor 150
Sparrowdragon
http://sparrowdragon.deviantart.com/

I'm sorry to crush your confidence, but AHAHAHAHA. This level of drawing is perfectly achievable without any special training, because it looks bad.

Have you ever seen professional art?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces