Welcome to Gaia! ::

what is the best way to get your comic out there and gain readers? (assuming that you have a decent story/art)
Well, a link in your signature when posting on forums is a good place to start.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Fencer Mike McC

That's how I do it.

I'm not really good with promotions. I'm a writer/artist, not an advertiser. I do believe there are a good few sites where you can promote your comic, though.

There's also a Promotions forum here on Gaia. 3nodding
Fencer Mike McC

that is definitely a good idea 3nodding
Xiam
Fencer Mike McC

That's how I do it.

I'm not really good with promotions. I'm a writer/artist, not an advertiser. I do believe there are a good few sites where you can promote your comic, though.

There's also a Promotions forum here on Gaia. 3nodding

ditto, i know nothing of promotions. hmmm do people visit the promotion section often or is it just there to appease people trying to get information out about their work? thanks for the input!
There are two major categories when it comes to promoting your comic.

Free Self-Promotion.

Enter contests or art jams.

Webcomic Idol. Global Comic Jam. Local 24-Hour Comic Day events. The jam forums on various message boards.

Forum posts and signatures.

Take a panel or pin-up from your comic, superimpose the title and a short, catchy description (Like "Heliothaumic: Sci-Fi Elves!" or "Dead Winter: "Not Your Typical Zombie Comic!" ), make it banner-sized, and post it as your sig image on any forum that allows sigs. If they don't allow sig images, post a text link.

Art archive accounts.

A Deviant Art account, updated simultaneously with your comic's main site, might get you more readers. Some people are very loyal to community sites like DA, and would rather read a comic there than go offsite for it.

Guest strips.

If a comic you like that has a substantial readership is about to take a break or go on hiatus, volunteer to do a guest strip for it. Most comics that get guest strips will repay the contributor with a link back to their site.

Toplists / Ranking sites.

The Webcomics List. Comicrank. Webbed Comics. Comic Nation. There are tons of voting, listing, and ranking sites, and most have a policy of accepting all submissions. You'll have to do the work to get the votes, but the reward is a prominently displayed banner that drives traffic to your comic.

StumbleUpon, Reddit, etc.

Ideal, if your comic is a humor or strip comic with topical references. Stick Reddit, Digg, and StumbleUpon buttons on your site, and ask readers to click them.

Link lists.

Piperka, The Belfry, KillBoredom, ComicAlert, OnlineComics.net.

LJ community posts.

Join communities like webcomicscenter, webcomics, cartoonists, altcomix, and comics, and promote yourself whenever you have a new comic, storyline, or plot twist.

Link exchanges.

Link to other sites individually, and propose that they link back to you. Or, you can join banner exchanges, like Rubifruit, or collectives, if they're seeking new members, like Spiderforest.

Interviews / panels / podcasts.

Never turn down an opportunity to talk about yourself. If you're asked, do it.

Reviews.

Plenty of sites and podcasts out there review comics and webcomics. Send them a link.

Press releases.

Let comic news sites know what you're up to, when something important is up. Publishing on paper, or gonna be at a con? Send out a press release, describing who you are, and why anyone should care. (This last tactic is probably best saved until you've already made your initial entrance and people are well-acquainted with you and your comic.)

Not-Free Self-Promotion.

Ad banners.

Go to Project Wonderful, find a comic similar in tone to yours but with higher traffic, and try to siphon some of that traffic off and get those people reading your comic, as well. Try to keep your cost-per-click ratio at either one or two cents.

Con flyers and postcards.

Kinko's (or even better, GotPrint.net) offers very inexpensive printing services for promotional flyers and postcards. Buy some... I pay about $200.00 for 5,000 full-color, double-sided cards... and leave them in computer labs, comic stores, con freebie tables, coffee shops, anywhere you might find an audience.

Minicomics.

A quick, interesting comic, printed in black and white on a photocopier and passed out at conventions (or any other receptive crowd) might get people curious enough to visit your site when they're back home.

Con attendance / con space.

Show up at a comic or anime con with a backpack full of minicomics and promotional postcards. Actually meet people and talk up your comic, especially to other cartoonists. Pass your schwag out like candy, and try to get feedback and opinions. Drop a pile of postcards off at the free table. If you have something you think you can sell, consider investing in table space. Come up with a popular and flattering gimmick... Sharpie a third eye on your forehead and put up a sign reading DRAWINGS OF YOUR SOUL: FIVE DOLLARS or something... and sign your URL to every picture.
IronSpike
blah blah lbha blah words words words

could you plz widdle that post down to the important bits. I feel lik theres good stuff here but my eyes glaze over allt he words @____@
Hey he or she did all that work to rwite it the least you could do is read it jeez. rolleyes
That's a rather complete list. I would also add to post on forums relative to your comic (if your comic features gay characters, post on gay discussion boards), as well as keep in mind other communities (such as ComicGenesis, DrunkDuck, or SmackJeeves); post on their forums even if you don't have a comic there.

I would caution against over-promotion, however. If you have a webcomic, only post in a single location or you may diffuse your crowd. Also, when choosing a community debate a large community versus a small community (a large community gives you a lot of potential readers whereas a small community will show off your comic more often).

And a note on Project Wonderful: You can buy ads for free, but I wouldn't count on it. Even if you do get some free space, it may not be on a comic that will help you, but it can happen.

Good luck!

TS
THE HUGBOX
IronSpike
blah blah lbha blah words words words

could you plz widdle that post down to the important bits. I feel lik theres good stuff here but my eyes glaze over allt he words @____@

Actually, that is whittled down to the good bits. There's even some suggestions in there that may not be right for everyone, but it was nice to see them anyway. Hmm......I need to get serious about promotion again...

TS
TregorySullivan
I need to get serious about promotion again...

What the hell are you going to promote? You've never created anything worthwhile in your entire life.
gonk wtf this forum is full of mean ppl crying
Major Malfunction

What the hell are you going to promote? You've never created anything worthwhile in your entire life.

Of course, questioning what someone else has done brings into question what you have done....

TS
TregorySullivan
Of course, questioning what someone else has done brings into question what you have done....

No it doesn't, because I'm not the one who was dropping lines like "I need to get serious about promotion again", as if somehow there was something you do which is worth promoting. I don't have to drop lines like that into my posts because I'm not pretending to be something I'm not.

Seriously, why don't you promote your material here, right now? Tell us what you've done that deserves attention. Think of it as the first step in "getting serious again".

Also, stop signing your goddamn posts, it makes you look like a retard.
Judging by his website... VERY tiny parents next to giant children. People in white in awe of yellow glowie balls, a pimp making sure that Santa's getting his job done, and a man absolutely in love with his cup of something...cocoa, tea, or coffee that he's totally disregarding his friend who is quite obviously a fan of "d*** in the box" song...

The gigantic children have me rather puzzled, I'll say that much.

His blog basically sums it up nicely: I'm a writer with delusions of fame.

When it comes to self promotion, quotes like that, which are supposed to come across as witty, or funny...aren't. When you promote yourself, stick to the facts. Telling people that you're a writer with delusions of fame lets people know that you're A. Not serious and B. full of yourself from the get go.

Just say, "amateur writer working on webcomics" and be done with it. Humble words attract more people. It's like using the title given to us while I worked at Sony: Product Assurance Quality Control Agent... aka Bug Tester. Fluffing up your position or title will only hide the true nature of who you are for a very short time.

So when you self promote: stick to the truth. People admire folks who are honest. Really. Truly.

If you want to be witty or funny, do so with your actual material, or when you've established yourself, then you can get away with a cornball biography. Until then, keep it simple.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff