Welcome to Gaia! ::

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9947314-16.html

Quote:
Wow. It's tough to be CEO of a multi-billion dollar software company these days, what with it being so difficult to extend desktop monopoly to the web and getting egged during speeches....

Yes, egged.

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer was egged by a protester during a speech he gave at a Hungarian University. As this video shows, the protester rose to his feet to challenge Microsoft for stealing billions in Hungarian taxpayer money, then started hurling eggs at Ballmer, who was forced to take cover behind a desk.

I didn't quite catch what the news said, but what did Ballmer do?
As much as I think Steve Ballmer is a worthless CEO, I think that this was really immature. The guy that egged him was most likely a Linux hippie, judging by the explanation of the video where I saw it. It had something to do with the government there taxing people and using it to buy Microsoft student licensing stuff, and this guy was most likely mad because he wanted Microsoft to give him his money back cause he was a Linux user, and Linux is free.

-Philip
Interesting aproach to thieving. He should've tried to cut the CEO's hand off instead.

Dapper Gaian

1,225 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Gaian 50
It's unfortunate there weren't any chairs within arm's reach for Steve Ballmer to use.

I wouldn't dare throw anything at that dude.
WWLink
It's unfortunate there weren't any chairs within arm's reach for Steve Ballmer to use.

Because you're afraid that he'd throw something back, or because you're a decent human being?
Flood Fighter
As much as I think Steve Ballmer is a worthless CEO, I think that this was really immature. The guy that egged him was most likely a Linux hippie, judging by the explanation of the video where I saw it. It had something to do with the government there taxing people and using it to buy Microsoft student licensing stuff, and this guy was most likely mad because he wanted Microsoft to give him his money back cause he was a Linux user, and Linux is free.

-Philip
when XI starts running in linux: 1. I'll be the first to know, 2. I'll probably BECOME one of those so-called linux hippies... til then though, I don't care. I'm not gonna pay for MS but if i get a copy of a piece of MS Software, good chance I'll either use it myself, or find someone else who has a use for it. s**t, if i got a free 360 in the mail today I'd keep that too. Anyways, the phrase you were looking for was not "linux hippie" but rather "Stallmanist a*****e"
WaruiKoohii
WWLink

Because you're afraid that he'd throw something back, or because you're a decent human being?

Both! rofl

-Philip
PandoraXero
Flood Fighter

-Philip
when XI starts running in linux: 1. I'll be the first to know, 2. I'll probably BECOME one of those so-called linux hippies... til then though, I don't care. I'm not gonna pay for MS but if i get a copy of a piece of MS Software, good chance I'll either use it myself, or find someone else who has a use for it. s**t, if i got a free 360 in the mail today I'd keep that too. Anyways, the phrase you were looking for was not "linux hippie" but rather "Stallmanist a*****e"

I've been using the term "Linux hippie" around here for somewhere around 2 years. confused And that is what I meant, as I've found it to be quite fitting. xp It's like the term Macfag. Not everyone that uses a Mac is a Macfag, it's only the annoying people.

-Philip
Flood Fighter
The guy that egged him was most likely a Linux hippie, judging by the explanation of the video where I saw it.
I don't think so. Not that I don't think he doesn't use Linux. What I gather is that Microsoft has been doing something in Hungary that has siphoned large sums of money away from the people there. He very clearly believes Microsoft to be a corrupt and dangerous company. (Rightly so, IMO.) I mean, just look at his shirt.

C|net's article is woefully thin. If I knew any Hungarians I'd ask them if they'd seen anything in the local news, but alas, I don't.
greyfaded
Flood Fighter
The guy that egged him was most likely a Linux hippie, judging by the explanation of the video where I saw it.
I don't think so. Not that I don't think he doesn't use Linux. What I gather is that Microsoft has been doing something in Hungary that has siphoned large sums of money away from the people there. He very clearly believes Microsoft to be a corrupt and dangerous company. (Rightly so, IMO.) I mean, just look at his shirt.

C|net's article is woefully thin. If I knew any Hungarians I'd ask them if they'd seen anything in the local news, but alas, I don't.

It just seemed like that to me; I could be very wrong. whee

-Philip
I don't think he is a Linux hippy, if he was he wouldn't need to deal with Microsoft which would calm his anger towards them by a lot. Sounds more like a person who doesn't know about alternitives and thinks they are "forced" to use Microsofts product. I can't really understand what he is saying though, but it sounded pretty Microsoft-centered, I didn't hear the word Linux once, and the Linux hippies I know would have to at least advertize Linux once before leaving if they did something like that... he didn't even have a penguin on his shirt.
Pixel Frog
I don't think he is a Linux hippy, if he was he wouldn't need to deal with Microsoft which would calm his anger towards them by a lot. Sounds more like a person who doesn't know about alternitives and thinks they are "forced" to use Microsofts product. I can't really understand what he is saying though, but it sounded pretty Microsoft-centered, I didn't hear the word Linux once, and the Linux hippies I know would have to at least advertize Linux once before leaving if they did something like that... he didn't even have a penguin on his shirt.

I do believe I saw somebody pick up a Mac. Didn't see anything with Linux though.
Mystery34
Pixel Frog

I do believe I saw somebody pick up a Mac. Didn't see anything with Linux though.
LMAO, I noticed that too.
I enjoy Linux but I still use windows I'm not a huge fan of windows or microsoft though its mostly because windows is what I grew up on.
Arrtos Tarne
I enjoy Linux but I still use windows I'm not a huge fan of windows or microsoft though its mostly because windows is what I grew up on.

Is this even relevant to the topic?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces