Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am a very picky paper person.
The only paper I have ever liked is Mead Academie sketch paper.
They had a sketch book that was a tan-ish color, and now I can't find it anywhere.
I've checked office supply stores, arts and craft stores, stores like Walmart and CVS. I've checked countless online stores. I just can not find it so I think it has been discontinued.

So....now I'm wondering if there are any other good papers out there. ^^'

I like good, thick sketch paper that you can't see through.
I like it to have a little texture and I don't like it glossy.
I like my colored pencils to stick. Not scrape off the second or third layer of it.
I like it not to bleed seeing as I use inks A LOT.

Discuss:
Good paper.
What kind of paper you use.
What you like about it.
What you don't like about it.
Paper in general.
I've always preferred Exact Bristol Medium card stock. The sheets are sturdy and durable, and the medium has enough of a tooth for me to be happy with using almost any medium on it (and it's not glossy). I wouldn't recommend using Copics on it though.

The only downside is that it is about 10 bucks for a pack of 250 sheets at Office Depot (you have to be careful because there are alot of other variants of the same brand). As picky as I am with my paper though, it's a good investment.
Angiechan
I've always preferred Exact Bristol Medium card stock. The sheets are sturdy and durable, and the medium has enough of a tooth for me to be happy with using almost any medium on it (and it's not glossy). I wouldn't recommend using Copics on it though.

The only downside is that it is about 10 bucks for a pack of 250 sheets at Office Depot (you have to be careful because there are alot of other variants of the same brand). As picky as I am with my paper though, it's a good investment.

Ah. Okay.
So you say 'pack'.
Is it plastic wrapped so I can't touch and feel it before I buy? <<'
If you want a good sketch book, I use Canson Universal Recycled sketchbooks. They have black and red covers, and seem to be very popular. The paper is lovely, doesn't let ink bleed through (it doesn't seem to like markers much though). Pencil crayons work lovely on it though. I'm not amazingly fond of the way it scans on colour mode, since the paper itself is off-white, but it's lovely paper. It isn't glossy, has a bit of texture.

Another type of paper if you want something heavier is Mi-Teintes paper. It's really heavy, comes in a lot of colours, and seems to stand up to nearly everything, it's also very nicely textured. I use it for good pieces, I think you can buy it in pads or individually.
cielle-rain
If you want a good sketch book, I use Canson Universal Recycled sketchbooks. They have black and red covers, and seem to be very popular. The paper is lovely, doesn't let ink bleed through (it doesn't seem to like markers much though). Pencil crayons work lovely on it though. I'm not amazingly fond of the way it scans on colour mode, since the paper itself is off-white, but it's lovely paper. It isn't glossy, has a bit of texture.

Another type of paper if you want something heavier is Mi-Teintes paper. It's really heavy, comes in a lot of colours, and seems to stand up to nearly everything, it's also very nicely textured. I use it for good pieces, I think you can buy it in pads or individually.

Sounds like heaven....apart from the fact it is off white, but all paper kinda yellows over time anyway. ^^''
Where may I find this delicious paper?
For most drawing I really prefer basic computer paper, the cheap stuff. But I tend to prefer cheap supplies, and it depends on what I'm doing.

If I'm going to ink it, I go for computer paper or a nice bristol

If I'm doing things like fine arts or charcoal, I prefer to use arches fine arts paper, the nice thing about that is you can buy a huge 50 inch by 50 inch sheet and cut it down to the sizes you want.

If I'm doing ink washes or watercolor, I'll buy hot press arches watercolor paper and cut it down, I don't like the watercolor paper you buy in books, it doesn't hold the water half as good as the arches stuff does (even arches brand of books doesn't do as well as the large sheet, hot or cold press)

Good luck to you.
Isillith
For most drawing I really prefer basic computer paper, the cheap stuff. But I tend to prefer cheap supplies, and it depends on what I'm doing.

If I'm going to ink it, I go for computer paper or a nice bristol

If I'm doing things like fine arts or charcoal, I prefer to use arches fine arts paper, the nice thing about that is you can buy a huge 50 inch by 50 inch sheet and cut it down to the sizes you want.

If I'm doing ink washes or watercolor, I'll buy hot press arches watercolor paper and cut it down, I don't like the watercolor paper you buy in books, it doesn't hold the water half as good as the arches stuff does (even arches brand of books doesn't do as well as the large sheet, hot or cold press)

Good luck to you.

We have TONS of printer paper.
I'm just too picky to use it. xDD''''

That sounds nice.
The water colour paper, too. I might just go back to water colouring. x)

So um. Where would I find this? xD
Well I know that the larger sheets can be bought in nicer art stores- here in AK we have Blaines that sells it, and while I'm away at college we have an art cellar in the school that sells it.

So I'd say, any finer art store would be a safe bet to purchase nicer paper.

And just my two cents, but being picky about paper might limit either your pocketbook or your practice. Just a thought.
A4 print paper.
It depends on your medium though.
If you draw with pencils you should have no trouble whatsoever.
Isillith
Well I know that the larger sheets can be bought in nicer art stores- here in AK we have Blaines that sells it, and while I'm away at college we have an art cellar in the school that sells it.

So I'd say, any finer art store would be a safe bet to purchase nicer paper.

And just my two cents, but being picky about paper might limit either your pocketbook or your practice. Just a thought.

We don't have nice art stores around here, but some of them have online stores, and for ordering paper it shouldn't be so bad. x)

Don't need practice, and what can't be saved up for? Even if I need it right away, the human body can go at least a few weeks without food. I wouldn't mind not eating for a few days just so I can get some good paper.....Does that sound bad? >>
Lelcious
A4 print paper.
It depends on your medium though.
If you draw with pencils you should have no trouble whatsoever.

Pencils. Coloured pencils. Pens. Markers, but I just put some cheap paper behind it so it doesn't bleed to the nice paper when I do that. Charcoal. Pastels. Rarely use water colours.
Of course, there is no such thing as a paper that can handle all of the above. xD

Does it have a texture to it?
Most printer papers don't have much a texture. =.
....theyve possibly discontinued Academe Sketchbooks?! NU! Those are the books I use for all of my art! TT_________TT
WolfEmpress
....theyve possibly discontinued Academe Sketchbooks?! NU! Those are the books I use for all of my art! TT_________TT

Yeah.
All I can find is the one with the black cover which comes close to tracing paper, and their tracing paper.
I came across their coloured construction paper the most, though.
Just...they don't make normal paper anymore, I guess. D'=
I have this really nice paper. It's called...erm, I don't know. I always peel off the labels, since my OCD makes them bother the hell outta me. It's white, but not blinding white. A nice calm white. And it has amazing texture, great for charcoals or colored pencils or markers or sketching or markers [since it doesn't bleed] or paint [just let it dry before you close it XD] or anything else you can think of. It's amazing.
It's got a transparent green cover [plastic] and the paper is BIG. Not massive, but big. It's real nice. I luffles it.
justviola
I have this really nice paper. It's called...erm, I don't know. I always peel off the labels, since my OCD makes them bother the hell outta me. It's white, but not blinding white. A nice calm white. And it has amazing texture, great for charcoals or colored pencils or markers or sketching or markers [since it doesn't bleed] or paint [just let it dry before you close it XD] or anything else you can think of. It's amazing.
It's got a transparent green cover [plastic] and the paper is BIG. Not massive, but big. It's real nice. I luffles it.

It's too bad you don't remember the name of it. >.<

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces