Welcome to Gaia! ::

6 is one too many...
4~5 games for Chicago.
Im taking Philly in 6

Giver

Well, I didn't win any points in my picks.
Rooted for both the powerhouse, and the underdogs.

Blackhawks in 5.
The Lost Desperado
Sharks shut out.. Whoot.. biggrin Revenge for my Redwings.

Really?! See, I want to lose to the first place team.
Not the guys that lost to them.

I pick the Hawks in 5 or 6. Most likely 5 though.
Great game by the Flyers. They didn't play their best, but they won based on sheer determination and resilience.

The Hockey News asked for a mulligan on the Flyers as their Cup pick.
The Scored called us the biggest joke in hockey.
Nobody said Boucher could beat Brodeur, but he did.
Nobody said we could come back from 0-3, but we did.
Nobody said we could cool off the giant-slayers, but we did.
Now nobody says we can beat the Blackhawks.

We've been proving everybody wrong since game 1, series 1. Now we're 240 minutes away from finishing the job.

Flyers in 7.
I'm going with the Flyers in 7.
It's going to be tough, but I think Philly is taking home the cup this year.
Lindrosfan
Great game by the Flyers. They didn't play their best, but they won based on sheer determination and resilience.

We've been proving everybody wrong since game 1, series 1. Now we're 240 minutes away from finishing the job.

Flyers in 7.

Stating the facts. biggrin
i dont even care about the Playoff event anymore..
sad im too depressed
sweet home CHICAGO in 6

Witty Flatterer

8,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Fatal For RealZ
Lindrosfan

Flyers in 7.

Stating the facts. biggrin

Rock on. Flyers all of the way!!
Blackhawks in 6...as much as I hate Chicago.
With Chicago in the finals some people have taken the opportunity to say that the Blackhawks' logo is racist and should be retired. What do you guys think?

A Little history concerining on why the Chicago Blackhawks or formerly known as "Black Hawks" came to be:

"Wikipedia"
The Blackhawks' first owner was coffee tycoon Frederic McLaughlin. He had been a commander with the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86th Infantry Division during World War I. This Division was nicknamed the "Blackhawk Division", after a Native American of the Sauk nation,Chief Black Hawk, who was a prominent figure in the history of Illinois. McLaughlin evidently named the hockey team in honor of the military unit, making it one of many sports team names using Native Americans as icons. For many years, the name was spelled "Black Hawks." This ambiguity was finally settled in the summer of 1986 when the club officially decided on the one-word version based on the spelling found in the original franchise documents.

So you see, the Blackhawks are not named after the Sauk Warrior, the Blackhawks are actually named after a World War 1 Military Unit that was called "Blackhawks"

Which leads me to make this statement: if the Kansas City Chiefs, Cleveland Indians and Washington Redskins and Florida State University have yet to get rid of their "Indian" names and logos, why should the Blackhawks be any different. And you can also say that the University of Notre Dame and the Boston Celtics Logos are racist towards the Irish, but you dont see anybody forcing them to change their logos or names.

The University of North Dakota was asked to change their name because of the 'Fighting Sioux'. There's an example of one team that has had to change their name over racial issues. Also, in before 'but that's a college team'. It's technically the same deal.
If you ask me, there's nothing wrong with the logo. It is the likeness of a historical figure, and I don't see why it is offensive. If the family of Chief Blackhawk want it changed, I guess that's their right, but I would think they should be honoured. While I agree that the Cleveland Indians logo is pretty stereotypical and could be considered insulting along with some other logos, a logo like the old New England Patriots logo is a stereotype, yet no Americans complain about it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff