Welcome to Gaia! ::

2,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
The scenario:

Anime convention. Booth with various items of various sizes and value. Let's say, priced $2 to $20. The booth is set up nicely, all prices are clearly marked, but there's no one operating it. There's a designated box (locked) where you drop your money in. Possibly to the side of the table is a picture of the booth owner and short blurb about them.

Optional: A sort of "guest book" set up where you can sign that you've purchases something, maybe even what you purchased. Not necessary consideration, however.

Results: What percent of honesty would you expect of your customers? What percent would make it worth the risk?

----

----

This scenario is based on a man who runs a very similar scenario selling bagels to business offices. He drops them off in the morning, picks up the left overs and money in the afternoon. He's actually done very well for himself this way. I happen to know the percentages he considers and what his average is, but I'd encourage you to make a guess before looking it up.

The point being here, that the people at an anime convention (while not worse or better) are very different from the people we find in large business offices. So, how would they react? How would you react?

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
The theme of the convention is irrelevant.
Anime fans are no different to other people.

The majority of the content would be stolen.
Including the money.

2,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
CuAnnan
The theme of the convention is irrelevant.
Anime fans are no different to other people.

The majority of the content would be stolen.
Including the money.

I was mostly appealing to the most common audience of Gaia (a fan of Anime). But you're correct, they are no different than anyone else.

Would you steal the content, then, too?

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Raphealle
I was mostly appealing to the most common audience of Gaia (a fan of Anime). But you're correct, they are no different than anyone else.

Would you steal the content, then, too?

No. But that has nothing to do with my being a fan of anime and more to do with an understanding that the stall runner is trying to eke out a living. Why would I ******** their day up for no good reason?

Aged Codger

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
I'd steal some o' that loot, tis jus' sittin' thar waitin' ta' get taken
My guess is you'd get about a 70-80% return, which might still be fine depending on the original cost of the items.

2,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
Mooby the Golden Sock
My guess is you'd get about a 70-80% return, which might still be fine depending on the original cost of the items.

That'd be my guess, too, actually! If you've got enough experiments going I think you could find out what conventions have the highest rate of honest customers.

Friendly Member

11,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
I personally wouldn't steal anything. If something interested me, I'd buy it, and deposit my cash in the cash box. I wouldn't fill out the guest book though.

From what I understand of your scenario, the situation is different from a "pay what you wish" deal, where there are no set prices for things. In that case, you're counting on the person's altruism, and various other factors. There's an interesting article here in case you're curious:
http://www.getelastic.com/name-your-own-price/

Note that in the article, it says that when you give a suggested price, the vast majority of your customers will hover around that price. With your thought experiment, I'd assume that since the price is not suggested, you're talking about a much higher societal pressure to conform to those norms.

2,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
Dino
I personally wouldn't steal anything. If something interested me, I'd buy it, and deposit my cash in the cash box. I wouldn't fill out the guest book though.

From what I understand of your scenario, the situation is different from a "pay what you wish" deal, where there are no set prices for things. In that case, you're counting on the person's altruism, and various other factors. There's an interesting article here in case you're curious:
http://www.getelastic.com/name-your-own-price/

Note that in the article, it says that when you give a suggested price, the vast majority of your customers will hover around that price. With your thought experiment, I'd assume that since the price is not suggested, you're talking about a much higher societal pressure to conform to those norms.

You're correct and I have the prices set for a reason. The article brings up a big different, I think, that needs to be taken into consideration for this scenario. The people are in fact interacting with the booth in person and not online. So, perhaps it's difficult to imagine NOT having people steal from you while online, but it's easy to think in a real life set up people would be mostly honest.

Would the fact that the artist/seller wasn't there to be the salesman affect your inclination for the product?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff