Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Clark doll experiment was one of the more famous pieces of evidence in the Topeka Board of Education case that ended segregation in schools. It had young black children choose between a selection of white and black dolls and asked them which one they would rather play with. The children overwhelmingly decided to choose the white doll because they thought it was prettier and better than the black dolls, some children referring to those dolls as "ugly."
Modern recreations of the experiment, 50 plus years on, have lead to similar results. For example in the movie "Dark girls" reimagining of the experiment with only black dolls of different hues, children considered the dolls with the darker hues to be the least preferable.

Which brings us to our discussion:
Do you think that these results would be different or similar in other parts of the world? Would, for instance, this result be easily reproduced in a former European colony like the Congo?
Do you think that these results are exclusive to black community, or are other racial demographics susceptible to similar forms of for lack of a better term "Self hatred."
Hypothetically, do you view that a similar situation would occur if we had a non Eurocentric society to people of a different race?
If the white dolls had tentacles on their heads, do you think a different result would come from it?
I would like to see a white community with East Asian dolls, results.
DXnobodyX

Why would you like to see that? Expecting any particular results?

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
[Castration Pop]
DXnobodyX

I think that Asians are often viewed neutral to positive in American culture.

More related to the questions in your OP-I think that in Africa that it might depend on the country that they are in for whether darker matters for being more or less pretty. I know that many of them have different concepts of how they view racial differences-some like lighter, others think it is bad, and then there is how certain tribes view albinos-they kill them but regard them as magical in some way.

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
Do you think that these results would be different or similar in other parts of the world?
Different. Maybe?

Would, for instance, this result be easily reproduced in a former European colony like the Congo?
Like would the results be different? Probably(That is the area of africa where the whites are bad guys? That is in laments terms I know. I think I remember a soccer movie that talked of these things).

Do you think that these results are exclusive to black community, or are other racial demographics susceptible to similar forms of for lack of a better term "Self hatred."
I don't think it's exclusive to the black community. Little white girls with hair other than blonde, that view the blonde barbies as more pretty than "other" barbies, sometimes think that because they don't especially like their own hair color. My favorites were always the blonde barbies.

Hypothetically, do you view that a similar situation would occur if we had a non Eurocentric society to people of a different race?
I'm trying to follow the question.....

If the white dolls had tentacles on their heads, do you think a different result would come from it?
LOL! Probably. People would like it even more so because tentacles are awesome, or they would dislike it more so because they think tentacles are weird.
AliKat1988
[Castration Pop]
DXnobodyX

More related to the questions in your OP-I think that in Africa that it might depend on the country that they are in for whether darker matters for being more or less pretty. I know that many of them have different concepts of how they view racial differences-some like lighter, others think it is bad, and then there is how certain tribes view albinos-they kill them but regard them as magical in some way.

Hmmn true. I was actually going more for the idea that it was due to subjugation by European whites that caused it...

Also the experiment was primarily to show how one views their own race when lined up against others. Showing asian appearing dolls to white kids seems a tad... out of left field.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
[Castration Pop]
AliKat1988
[Castration Pop]
DXnobodyX

Hmmn true. I was actually going more for the idea that it was due to subjugation by European whites that caused it...

Also the experiment was primarily to show how one views their own race when lined up against others. Showing asian appearing dolls to white kids seems a tad... out of left field.
It is not completely out of the question that there might be issues of comparison. I think that the racial bias effect would be weaker, but that there would be a major difference in how whites view their own race over how they view Asians as people do still have different expectations/stereotypes for the two racial groups.
[Castration Pop]
DXnobodyX

No which is why its interesting, because I have no clue what would happen.
DXnobodyX
[Castration Pop]
DXnobodyX

No which is why its interesting, because I have no clue what would happen.

Ah but that doesn't quite stand up to rigor.

Greedy Consumer

[Castration Pop]
The Clark doll experiment was one of the more famous pieces of evidence in the Topeka Board of Education case that ended segregation in schools. It had young black children choose between a selection of white and black dolls and asked them which one they would rather play with. The children overwhelmingly decided to choose the white doll because they thought it was prettier and better than the black dolls, some children referring to those dolls as "ugly."
Modern recreations of the experiment, 50 plus years on, have lead to similar results. For example in the movie "Dark girls" reimagining of the experiment with only black dolls of different hues, children considered the dolls with the darker hues to be the least preferable.

Do you think that these results would be different or similar in other parts of the world? Would, for instance, this result be easily reproduced in a former European colony like the Congo?
Would the experiments happen to have had more whites than minorities? This is very significant of a question considering its been shown how people will buy pets that more resemble themselves. I would assume its the same with dolls.
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
[Castration Pop]

Would the experiments happen to have had more whites than minorities? This is very significant of a question considering its been shown how people will buy pets that more resemble themselves. I would assume its the same with dolls.

The experiments themselves were of only black children.

Greedy Consumer

[Castration Pop]
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
[Castration Pop]

Ohh ok. Did they try this in different cultures, like in a place where theres no chance of inferiority complexes to whites and whites not being on television the most or anything like that? Im guessing prolly not, but then theres two different things the conclusion might mean.
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
[Castration Pop]
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
[Castration Pop]

Ohh ok. Did they try this in different cultures, like in a place where theres no chance of inferiority complexes to whites and whites not being on television the most or anything like that? Im guessing prolly not, but then theres two different things the conclusion might mean.

Here you go.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces