Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Lunatic

Captain Saeta
(B) what school you go to and where doesn't much matter in the end so long as it is properly accredited.

I can agree with this statement to some extent, and more so for an undergrad program. I would like to add that for a research-oriented education who is teaching at these schools will eventually matter, so in the end what and where matter. You are not going to find a Anne Treisman, a Stephen Palmer, or a Vilayanur Ramachandran at some random school in the middle of Iowa (whether it is accredited or not).
THeSLuSH
Captain Saeta
(B) what school you go to and where doesn't much matter in the end so long as it is properly accredited.

I can agree with this statement to some extent, and more so for an undergrad program. I would like to add that for a research-oriented education who is teaching at these schools will eventually matter, so in the end what and where matter. You are not going to find a Anne Treisman, a Stephen Palmer, or a Vilayanur Ramachandran at some random school in the middle of Iowa (whether it is accredited or not).

Whether or not well recognised researchers are at all suited to the role of supervisor is another matter entirely.

Distinct Poster

CH1YO
Once you have a bachelor's degree the time to be having majors is over.

Take a degree and decide what you like, there really is no point in deciding on something now, essentially arbitrarily.
Posties, the cutest is now back. If you think hard now and decide what you want or like, then you will have more time to make money doing what you could potentially like.
Posties
CH1YO

Take a degree and decide what you like, there really is no point in deciding on something now, essentially arbitrarily.
Posties, the cutest is now back. If you think hard now and decide what you want or like, then you will have more time to make money doing what you could potentially like.

What obscure syntax.

Distinct Poster

CH1YO
Posties
CH1YO

What obscure syntax.
This is some impressive irony.
Posties
CH1YO
Posties
CH1YO

What obscure syntax.

Thank you comrade.

Distinct Poster

CH1YO
Posties
CH1YO
Posties
CH1YO

What obscure syntax.

Thank you comrade.
Yes my liege.
Posties
CH1YO
Posties
CH1YO
Posties
CH1YO

What obscure syntax.

Thank you comrade.
Yes my liege.

That's exactly the kind of respectful language that I lap up.

Distinct Poster

CH1YO
Posties
CH1YO
Posties
CH1YO

What obscure syntax.

Thank you comrade.
Yes my liege.

You had to use the word "lap."
rofl
Is this just your internet persona?
Posties
CH1YO
Posties
CH1YO
Posties
CH1YO

What obscure syntax.

Thank you comrade.
Yes my liege.

rofl

I quite like the word "cusp" too.

I'm bona fide.

Distinct Poster

CH1YO
Posties
CH1YO
Posties
CH1YO

Thank you comrade.
Yes my liege.

rofl

I'm bona fide.
Where did you learn the word "bona fide?"
I have only heard that word used in the south where I live. eek
Posties
CH1YO
Posties
CH1YO
Posties
CH1YO

Thank you comrade.
Yes my liege.

rofl

I'm bona fide.

I don't really keep track of where I learn words, I would guess Latin class except that I never attended one.

I quite enjoy it's use in O Brother, Where Art Thou? though.

Distinct Poster

CH1YO
Posties
CH1YO
Posties
CH1YO

rofl

I'm bona fide.

I don't really keep track of where I learn words, I would guess Latin class except that I never attended one.

I watched that movie to death. confused
Posties
CH1YO
Posties
CH1YO
Posties
CH1YO

rofl

I'm bona fide.

I watched that movie to death. confused

It is rather good. I've not watched it for a few years which is odd and makes me feel old to be able to admit.

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
antipancakes
So I want to dedicate my life to research, I am mostly interested in experimental psychology or any neuroscience. Here is my dilemma, everyone around me doubts me when I present my future plans. They say things such as " You have to be the best" or "You have to be exceptionally intelligent"

My plan is to go to a private university in Puerto Rico, get my Bachelors in Psychology there and then transfer to a school that offers my desired major.

I'm asking for random people's opinion because I need an outside view on my plan. I probably sound ridiculous seeking approval of my plan from strangers but it would mean a lot to me thanks! Maybe I oblivious to what I am getting myself into, I don't know.

Thanks again for your help and taking the time to read this.

You will be fine. Experimental Psychology is a safe bet. While you may have to be "the best of the best" to get a job at an independent practice, you can always work for educational institutions. Pretty much any institution that teaches a psychology class will be performing experimental research. I bet you could get a job at the same undergrad or grad school from which you received your degree, since they will know first hand your talents. You can even fallback as a professor at any institute.

Your degree plan sounds almost identical to mine, save Puerto Rico.
You'll need your Bachelor's in Psychology. If you don't know your focus yet, which I assume you mean by "desired major," such as behavioral, social, developmental, etc. psychology, that is fine.
If you don't know your focus, get a Master's in Experimental Psychology. By this point, you should know your focus, and you should transfer to a place that offers a PhD in your focus.
If you do know your focus after getting your Bachelor's, you can go straight to your PhD program of choice and skip the Master's (or get the Master's along the way during your PhD program).

Just be sure to do as much undergraduate research as possible. Really. Every semester. Talk to your professors and ask them what you can do. Research experience is one of the most important aspects on a grad school application for experimental psychology.

Example degrees:
Bachelors in Psychology
Masters in Experimental Psychology
PhD in Experimental Behavioral Psychology

CH1YO

I think he's referring to a focus, not a major. e.g. Behavioral Psychology.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff